Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Bike for weight loss...

Old 05-17-22, 05:37 AM
MichWolverines8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike for weight loss...

So, I moved from Chicago to Nashville several years back and have put on some serious weight. I drive everywhere now when I was use to walking, biking, and taking public transit everywhere. I don't hate the gym but prefer to be outside for cardio. Just a preference. Looking to start riding again but not sure what bike to get. I'm looking for something designed more for roads and paved trails. I'm not a mountain bike fan. I use to ride a Redline 925 and would eventually like to get back on after losing weight. I went from 190 to 280 and I just feel miserable. What bikes do you recommend? Looking for something between $500 - $800. Strictly for fitness purposes.
Old 05-18-22, 08:14 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
Honestly you should be fine with any bike from a name brand bike company. I'm in the same boat as you. Started this year heavier than I've ever been. Dedicated myself to riding every day and started that on Feb. 3. Today will be day #105 in a row. This morning I hit the 40 pounds lost mark.

See if there is a bike club in your area. People in clubs are always selling bikes. Facebook Marketplace is also a good place to find bikes. I would recommend trying to find a brand that is supported by a local bike shop if possible.
Likes For chadtrent:
Old 05-18-22, 05:06 PM
BruceA78

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Diverge Expert Carbon & 2020 Specialized Sirrus 6.0

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 28 Posts
Awesome work! I cannot do every day as my legs sometimes feel like rubber the next day after a 30+ mile ride the day before!
Old 05-19-22, 06:17 AM
chadtrent

Well, not every day is a big day in the saddle. Sometimes it's a half hour on the trainer. But any ride is a good ride I believe...
Likes For chadtrent:
Old 05-19-22, 08:51 AM
Grudey1
Suburban Dad

Bikes: 2019 Trek Domane SL5 Disc, 2021 Giant Talon 2, 2012 Trek 7.1 FX, 2005 Trek Fuel 70, 2003 Trek 4500

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Check out the Poseidon X or Poseidon Redwood. I just bought the Redwood and love it. They are both gravel bikes. The X is more road oriented and the Redwood more mountain bike oriented. Both have options for drop bar or flat bar. Both under $1000 delivered to your door.
Old 05-19-22, 11:38 AM
chadtrent

Originally Posted by Grudey1
Check out the Poseidon X or Poseidon Redwood. I just bought the Redwood and love it. They are both gravel bikes. The X is more road oriented and the Redwood more mountain bike oriented. Both have options for drop bar or flat bar. Both under $1000 delivered to your door.
I've seen them listed online. They look like a good value for the money. Never seen one in person though. I know there is a Dragon brand bike that seems to be pretty popular in that price range as well.
Old 05-19-22, 02:27 PM
DeadSlow

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceA78
Awesome work! I cannot do every day as my legs sometimes feel like rubber the next day after a 30+ mile ride the day before!
I don't do every day either. I have done multiple days in a row but it just doesn't suit me. I try to do every second day, for no other reason than it feels like a reasonable effort. I have wondered if I am better doing 45 minutes a day rather than 90 minutes every second day but it rarely gets past wondering. It's really just a case of doing what fits you.
Old 05-19-22, 08:25 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I try to ride every day but it never works out, too much traveling and life just gets in the way.

Back to the OP, why not just ride the Redline? I would see how wide of tires I could put and ride light, you know, don't jump curbs, avoid pot holes, no bunny hops, that kind of stuff.
Old 05-21-22, 12:34 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,435 Times in 985 Posts
Not only bike riding, but keep an eye on what you are eating, too. Try cutting down or out on hi-calorie/hi-fats snack foods, watch that you don't always eat high-calorie meals (fast food, BBQ plates, etc) or good foods covered in calories (salads with too much dressing), maybe skip those hi-calorie dessert cakes and pies, and that'll help you drop the weight.
Old 05-29-22, 10:53 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,848 Times in 1,063 Posts
Check your local bike shops, Craigslist, FB Marketplace ; you should be able to find a bike that meets your needs

biking is a good way to drop weight (in combination with other activities / changes) - it is 'weight supported' (compared / in contrast to activities like running) and can be done with relative frequency
Old 05-31-22, 12:38 PM
Guttooth71

Bikes: Vintage Valgan , Giant Revolt Advanced, Trek 300

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm "a bit" husky. After decades of playing sports and lifting weights, riding a bike is the most fun , low impact way to get exercise.
Old 05-31-22, 01:18 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
Check your local bike shops, Craigslist, FB Marketplace ; you should be able to find a bike that meets your needs

biking is a good way to drop weight (in combination with other activities / changes) - it is 'weight supported' (compared / in contrast to activities like running) and can be done with relative frequency
Did you not read any of the previous posts? Biking is not a good way to drop weight. Biking is a great method of transportation, and it can be a great social or fitness activity, but there is a difference between getting fit and having good cardiovascular health and losing weight. When a person has any significant weight to lose (>25lb) they have a surplus of 10's of thousands of calories. Cycling, the way most of us do it is a 400C/hr activity. Racer types get to 600C/hr. Neither one is much good for touching the 80,000C surplus of a 25lbs overweight person. Most people do not: ride in rain, ride at night, ride during the week, or ride on the street with cars. This makes cycling unreliable as a daily, sustainable and easily accessed method of calorie consumption. I get it, we like to bike. All problems look like a bike. Wrong. The poster who mentioned healthy eating was on the right track. Without any cardio at all but a draconian and intense dieting ethic, weight can be lost and the loss maintained. Cardio is cardio. It's good for you. Running is a 600C/hr activity but it is high impact. Elliptical machine? Rowing machine? Those use your arms and are even better for calorie control. I know they aren't done outdoors and therefore not as 'fun' as cycling but few of us can cycle everyday and fewer have all day Saturday and Sunday to make up for the lost days in between.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 06-05-22, 12:00 PM
MichWolverines8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for such a delayed response to my own conversation but I have been very busy. I understand biking has it's limits when exercising/burning calories. My regimen will be a combination of biking, walking, treadmill on bad weather days and weights thrown in 3-5 times a week.

As for the bike; From what I'm gathering, it seems like any bike I want that fits me will work. It's more about the proper wheels, right? I know I got on the 925 the other day for a second to get a feel for it and it was awful! I am so ashamed I let this happen. Riding that bike will not work! Anyway, thanks for the info and suggestions. Cheers!
Old 06-05-22, 12:17 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,521 Times in 725 Posts
Originally Posted by MichWolverines8
What bikes do you recommend? Looking for something between $500 - $800. Strictly for fitness purposes.
Here's a recco: Canyon Roadlite 5. Al frame, carbon fork, disc brakes, SRAM 1x11 gears, busts your budget by a hunnert.
Old 06-05-22, 08:52 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

do you prefer drop bar or flat bar ?

if flat bar - a lightweight hybrid might be a good option
Old 06-05-22, 08:57 PM
t2p

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Did you not read any of the previous posts? Biking is not a good way to drop weight. Biking is a great method of transportation, and it can be a great social or fitness activity, but there is a difference between getting fit and having good cardiovascular health and losing weight. When a person has any significant weight to lose (>25lb) they have a surplus of 10's of thousands of calories. Cycling, the way most of us do it is a 400C/hr activity. Racer types get to 600C/hr. Neither one is much good for touching the 80,000C surplus of a 25lbs overweight person. Most people do not: ride in rain, ride at night, ride during the week, or ride on the street with cars. This makes cycling unreliable as a daily, sustainable and easily accessed method of calorie consumption. I get it, we like to bike. All problems look like a bike. Wrong. The poster who mentioned healthy eating was on the right track. Without any cardio at all but a draconian and intense dieting ethic, weight can be lost and the loss maintained. Cardio is cardio. It's good for you. Running is a 600C/hr activity but it is high impact. Elliptical machine? Rowing machine? Those use your arms and are even better for calorie control. I know they aren't done outdoors and therefore not as 'fun' as cycling but few of us can cycle everyday and fewer have all day Saturday and Sunday to make up for the lost days in between.
did you read my post ? smh

'biking is a good way to drop weight (in combination with other activities / changes)'

'in combination with other activities / changes'
Likes For t2p:
Old 06-06-22, 08:00 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 79 Posts
Ive gotten nowhere with "just cycling lots" to lose weight. Combining it with giving up booze completely is turning the corner for me. I did no booze, no sugar, AND lots of cycling during lent. That is the real ticket.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 06-09-22, 09:04 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Yes I also confirm that biking only works to loose weight when you change your bad habits too. My achilles heel is the serveza and too many late evening snacks. I commute daily rain or shine, ride on weekends and try to run most errands by bike. 1.7K miles so far this year. I have lost quite a bit of weight when I also cut down on the bad stuff. But when I fell back into the trap the weight loss stalled although I kept riding.
Meaning don't rely on cycling only. You need to make a bigger change of your life style with a combination of exercise and a healthier diet. It is easier said then done and requires discipline.
Also think about using your bike for daily errands. Could you ride your bike to work? Could you use it to get your groceries or other supplies? Could you ride it to a restaurant or the doctors office? I try to use mine as a utility vehicle.
As for bikes any bike works. The local classifieds are full of cheap good used bikes. I personally would look for used ones. This way you can try out various styles without breaking the bank if if does not work and you have to sell it again. This is at least my experience.
I need to get back on track and be more disciplined. But I still ride. Not just for weight loss but also for mental health. It clears the mind. I hate going to the gym and stare at a screen or wall while doing my exercise. I rather be in nature riding my bike.

Last edited by Harhir; 06-09-22 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-09-22, 09:07 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
Ive gotten nowhere with "just cycling lots" to lose weight. Combining it with giving up booze completely is turning the corner for me. I did no booze, no sugar, AND lots of cycling during lent. That is the real ticket.
Same here. Beer and whine have too many calories. One reason I gave up home brewing. Having kegs of beer at your disposal is just too tempting. By limiting alcohol the pounds start dropping.
Old 06-09-22, 09:48 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 79 Posts
Yep, If I can get people to buy my brewing equipment Im taking it to the recycle plant.
Old 06-16-22, 10:36 AM
CyFan
Cafe Racer

Bikes: 2015 Wilier Cento 1 SR UHC Team bike

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I mix anaerobic and aerobic efforts when cycling for body fat reduction...which is the real measure of fitness. Anaerobic efforts (cadence at 80 or below) build muscle mass which in turn raises your caloric needs to maintain your body weight. Aerobic efforts (cadence at 90 plus) go straight to burning fat, if you keep your heart rate at 80% of your max. Eating and drinking reasonably are, of course, a common sense compliment to maximize your gains. I also do some anaerobic upper body training for increased muscle mass, nothing too heavy. If you build a calorie burning machine (muscle mass) the rest kind of takes care of itself. YMMV.
Likes For CyFan:
Old 06-18-22, 02:37 PM
t2p

Originally Posted by CyFan
I mix anaerobic and aerobic efforts when cycling for body fat reduction...which is the real measure of fitness. Anaerobic efforts (cadence at 80 or below) build muscle mass which in turn raises your caloric needs to maintain your body weight. Aerobic efforts (cadence at 90 plus) go straight to burning fat, if you keep your heart rate at 80% of your max. Eating and drinking reasonably are, of course, a common sense compliment to maximize your gains. I also do some anaerobic upper body training for increased muscle mass, nothing too heavy. If you build a calorie burning machine (muscle mass) the rest kind of takes care of itself. YMMV.
agree

when I was in shape (much too long ago) - I mixed anaerobic with aerobic

strength training can build the muscles that consume the calories

this will also prevent 'yo-yo' weight loss - which can provide short term gains but at times disappointing long term results

some state strength training is one of the closest things to the 'fountain of youth' - helps to create growth hormone (which drops off significantly as you grow older) ... I have not researched or confirmed - but sounded good to me lol

one of the things about biking is it targets and builds one of the largest muscle groups in your body - the quads - and well built quads will then consume additional calories

and with biking you can target 'LSD' exercise - Long Slow Distance - which can assist your body to recruit / use / burn fat stores - as opposed to higher intensity / short exercises which will burn glycogen (or whatever) stores

Last edited by t2p; 06-18-22 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-23-22, 10:58 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
Sorry. Just have to say it. An 80rpm cadence is NOT anaerobic, and will NOT build muscle mass, smh, but 20 rep SQUATs with half your body-weight, or more, on your back, just might. What gear simulates that kind of load? I'll say it again, since I have to: cycling does NOTHING for weight loss that a good diet cannot do. Cycle if you want. Cycling is great for lots of things including transportation, recreation, cardio fitness, mental health, and other groovy things, and you just might burn some extra calories doing it. Great, if you are already a normal weight! If you ain't, then you probably CAN'T cycle hard enough to make any appreciable dent in the calorie surplus. The posters noting that cycling must be combined with attention to diet completely miss that plenty of people lose weight without being able to ride a bike.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 06-23-22 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-29-22, 12:57 PM
xaztec

Bikes: 1992 Trek 790, 1976/2020 Schwinn Superior, 2000 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Lemond Sarthe, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, 2017 Salsa Marrakesh,

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
If you want a bike primarily for weight loss, go find an old '70's steel Schwinn. They're actually very comfortable to ride and also pretty cheap. Pedaling around 40-45 pounds of steel plus your weight will definitely have an impact and may build a little muscle at the same time. You do need to work out with weights too, as others have said.
Old 06-29-22, 05:02 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
There are few absolutes in weight loss. One of them is that a calorie deficit - calories in - calories out = a negative number) will almost definitely result in weight loss. If you add biking to your life without cutting down any other activity and without adding to your calorie intake, you'll almost definitely lose weight. (If you ride with vigor, you'll probably trade fat for muscle, which is probably a good trade, especially if you bike consistently over time. This might slow down weight loss.)

The problem is that it's not easy to keep up eating fewer calories than one burns, and it's not east to exercise consistently, but saying, 'This makes cycling unreliable as a daily, sustainable and easily accessed method of calorie consumption' is overstating the case.

Yeah, losing 25 lbs requires a deficit of about 80,000 calories, but that requires averaging only a 220 kcal/day deficit for a year. Not easy, but doable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.