Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Calling all Fuji Owners

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Calling all Fuji Owners

Old 06-20-05, 10:51 AM
Cadd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you ride a Fuji, please tell us which model you have. What type of material is the frame made out of? What components do you have? Any pics of your ride?

The reason I ask is because it seems like Fuji bikes are pretty rare. On this forum, there are tons of Treks, Specialized, Bianchi, Lightspeed, etc., but there aren't a lot of Fuji owners.

When I ride, I see lots of Specialized & Treks around, I hardly see anyone riding a Fuji.

Let me go first.

Bike: 2002 Fuji Roubaix (aluminum frame)
Component: 105
Not too crazy about the color

Rides a little on the rough side, but I think I can still take the punishment for a few more years. I don't think I can out grow this bike. I love how the 105 shifts, I just can't imagine how much smoother Ultegra or DA is!

I'll post a pic when I get home.

Let's see some pictures of your bike!
Old 06-20-05, 12:01 PM
woody_1029

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cadd,

I am the proud owner of an '05 Fuji Team (C7 carbon) with Ultegra and Velomax Javelins. The ride is fantastic. I find it to be almost as smooth as my Zero Uno steel frame, but much stiffer and more responsive. It is as light as a feather and handles very well.

I think that Fuji has rec'd a bad reputation for the was they marketed their bikes in the past. However, that applies to their low end models.

Sorry, no pix at this time
Old 06-20-05, 12:34 PM
Cadd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When people refer to a low-end models, what are they generally referring to? The frame? The components? If it's the components, what is considered low end? Sora? Tiagra? 105? Just curious.
Old 06-20-05, 01:09 PM
brokenrobot
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride an 03 Fuji Marseille, 853 steel with Ultegra and a 2003 Fuji Touring (generic steel). I love 'em both.
Old 06-20-05, 01:15 PM
cryogenic
Campy or bust :p

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey commuter build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a 2004 TeamSL outfitted with a Campy Record/Chorus/Centaur mix... FSA cranks, oddsandendos wheels, Michelin tires, etc.. link to pics are in my sig
Old 06-20-05, 01:23 PM
LordOpie

Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. My name is Opie and I ride a Fuji.

(2003 steel Finest)
Old 06-20-05, 01:33 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got an 04 Absolute. I guess you'd call it a hybrid because it has flat bars,but that's the only thing seperating it from being a road bike. It's all alum(frame and fork),so it rides a little rough,but it's fast and light. Picked it up as an impulse buy at Performance Bicycle in Rockville. They had a one day sale,and it was marked down as a leftover,and I had $50 in coupons,so I figured what the hell. I needed a fast beater. It's really nice for a sub $400 bike;shifts smooth and has great brakes. Looks the business too,it's a lovely flat maroon/black cherry color. Only thing I think I'll change is maybe a softer seat. Since my commute route is pretty smooth,this thing rocks.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 06-20-05, 02:51 PM
Post42K

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ride: 2004 Fuji Professional (64cm), Aluminum w/carbon fork and seat stays.

Components: Dura Ace (Ultegra brakes), 10-spd double. Ritchey DS Pro Z Deep Section wheels (I've heard mixed comments about wheel durability but so far so good).

Smooth stiff ride for this clyde (6'4" - 210 lbs)
Old 06-20-05, 03:15 PM
Paiyili
pAIYILI

Bikes: Specialized Crosroads Sport (Hybrid)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cadd
If you ride a Fuji, please tell us which model you have. What type of material is the frame made out of? What components do you have? Any pics of your ride?

Hi,
Old 06-20-05, 03:20 PM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2003 Roubaix Pro. 58cm, smooth as butter but as as stiff as a very stiff thing that's been dipped in stiffening fluid and hung out to dry in a stiff breeze.

Reynold 853 steel frame (Chromoly stays), 105 double group. I've put on a Brooks saddle (Team Pro), a compact crank (Ritchey) and 12-27 cassette. Other than that, I've just replaced/upgraded as things have worn out (tires, bar tape, chain, brake pads etc).

Old 06-20-05, 03:27 PM
Paiyili
pAIYILI

Bikes: Specialized Crosroads Sport (Hybrid)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cadd

Hi,

I am returning an old Fuji that spent 15 years in a basement to working order. I have no idea as to the model. It is 22 years old. I SUSPECT that it is double butted cromoly (due to its extremely low weight). Iy has Suntour components (both derailleurs and an Ultra-6 Freewheel). It has a little surface rust, so a prep/paint/clearcoat is in its future. I have replaced all cables, all brake pads, handlebars, and the shifter levers. (I'm thinking black, a very forgiving color). It is getting a 7-speed freewheel tomorrow. It handles well, it's nimble, and it'll ride better tomorrow. Indexed shifting is in its future. Here it is. Another view. And another.
Old 06-20-05, 03:28 PM
cryogenic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stubacca
2003 Roubaix Pro. 58cm, smooth as butter but as as stiff as a very stiff thing that's been dipped in stiffening fluid and hung out to dry in a stiff breeze.

Reynold 853 steel frame (Chromoly stays), 105 double group. I've put on a Brooks saddle (Team Pro), a compact crank (Ritchey) and 12-27 cassette. Other than that, I've just replaced/upgraded as things have worn out (tires, bar tape, chain, brake pads etc).

Hey, you stole my tires!

I've since swapped out the bar tape with black, however.

Last edited by cryogenic; 06-20-05 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-20-05, 03:33 PM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cryogenic
Hey, you stole my tires!
And it took you this long to notice?
Old 06-20-05, 03:35 PM
cryogenic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, I noticed the ride was a bit rough... but I just thought it was the aluminum frame
Old 06-20-05, 03:46 PM
Stubacca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cryogenic
well, I noticed the ride was a bit rough... but I just thought it was the aluminum frame
Old 06-20-05, 04:11 PM
woody_1029

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would categorize "lower end models" as those with both lower quality frames (usually heavier) and components. Lower end could mean anything, relatively speaking. However, I would consider anything below 105 to be lower end. Not that it's bad. My son's bike has Shimano Sora components and they work fine for him (most of the time )
Old 06-20-05, 04:27 PM
sbouge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an 05 Fuji Team Pro Euro, Campy Centaur group. A-6 alloy frame, carbon fork and rear stays, ritchey bars, seat post, FSA SLK carbon crankset, Campy pedals on it of course. Replaced the original tires with Vredenstein Fortezza SE's.

Last edited by sbouge; 06-21-05 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-20-05, 05:01 PM
Cadd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, here's my bike...pic taken 3 years ago when it was brand new. Now it's a little dirtier. I'll try to take an outside picture to post up.
Old 06-20-05, 05:48 PM
blipzandstripz
pure noise

Bikes: Surly Steamroller fixie, Cannondale MTB, old-school Fuji Royale tourer, Kuwahara fixie,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha ha I got y'all beat (so far, at least in the beater class)! For $25.00 I picked up a garage sale Fuji Royale 12 speed from the 70's, Suntour on the downtube and Nitto bars, 441 CroMo tubes, some wack generic wheels. It was so covered in dirt from sitting that you could barely tell it was a Fuji except for the Fuji machined into the cranks.

Took it to the carwash and pressure-washed the dirt to find a near mint beauty that has replaced my fixie and Cannondale as my commuter. It goes down the road easy and straight and fits me like it was professionally fitted. It's not ugly, just plain and (BETTER YET!!!) invisible. I don't make a habit of it, but a few times I've just leaned it against the wall at the store without locking it up. If it did get stolen, I'd be bummed for a couple of minutes, but that's about it. Plus, I figure karma is good because I'm giving this old bike maybe a couple thousand more miles of life.

I'm sure somebody will now beat me by posting about their $5.00 Fuji find. Somewhere back in the archives I remember somebody finding one for $1.00. Somebody's gotta stick up for the old school Fujis, some of which are half-decent bikes.
Old 06-20-05, 06:56 PM
brokenrobot
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I'll post my $5 Fuji find

It's a low-end 12-speed, hi-ten steel... no idea on the model name. I pulled it apart to build a singlespeed for my brother, though I originally picked it up because I wanted its 1970s Nitto Olympiad bars and stem. The rest of the components weren't much... the usual Suntour VX set, and a Fuji-branded Custom crankset with steel chainwheels.

No photos, sorry!
Old 06-20-05, 08:31 PM
zing28
Crunch Time!!!!

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2005 Fuji Roubaix. 105. Aluminum with carbon forks and stays. Rode a bunch before I chose this one. It just was the right one. 600 miles on it now, with no regrets!! Awesome ride! I get a lot of positive comments on it during different group rides. Not a ton of Fujis out there. It is a nice looking ride.
Old 06-21-05, 07:07 AM
GarrettM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2005 Fuji Roubaix Pro. Mostly 105. Aluminum. I've got over 1550 miles on it since January. I replaced the saddle at 600 miles with a Fizik Arione. I've had no other complaints. Great bike!
Old 06-21-05, 07:42 AM
Applehead57
slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Road Sport, peugeot UO-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Fuji Newest, with Tiagra components. Aluminum with chro-moly forks.
A good bike, but ride was a little harsh. Moved on to a steel Gunnar Road Sport.
Old 06-21-05, 07:55 AM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
I've got an 04 Absolute.
Hey man, that my bike! Great for zipping around town and hauling stuff. I have no camera to take pictures because I spent all my money on bike parts and IRAs.
Old 06-21-05, 08:03 AM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got an 05 Team Pro Euro with Campy Centaur. This is the first day I brought it home.

Last edited by cslone; 10-18-06 at 12:44 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.