Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Old farts music

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old farts music

Old 09-11-21, 09:41 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
All of the music mentioned and nobody has mentioned Mark Knopfler or Dire Straits, one of the greatest guitar players ever! Just google his name, he has his own Youtube channel, listen to some great music and enjoy!
Likes For trainchaser:
Old 09-11-21, 09:50 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by trainchaser
All of the music mentioned and nobody has mentioned Mark Knopfler or Dire Straits, one of the greatest guitar players ever! Just google his name, he has his own Youtube channel, listen to some great music and enjoy!
Bassist in a band I was in is a luthier. Does work for some big names. We came in for practice, and he drew us into the inner workshop. Opened a case, and it was one of Knopfler's guitars. Felt like we should drop to our knees and make the sign of the cross! He's also building a custom banjo for Bela Fleck.....
Old 09-12-21, 12:29 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
And it gave us ABBA.
Yeah, there's nothing fluffy, Abba-like in any other decade. Good point.
Old 09-12-21, 04:26 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
Talent seems to have little to do with success sometimes doesn't it. Some 70's / 80's artists who IMO should have been bigger:

Paul Collins Beat, Gary Myrick, 4 Out of 5 Doctors, HooDoo Gurus, Rank & File,

+ these...

Holly Beth Vincent & the Italians
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaQI30R7g48

Romeo Void
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSrZn9P3Iw8

The Ocean Blue (should have got a better name)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FJF4Swq_PU
their "libretto" is underrated.
Old 09-12-21, 07:21 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Yeah, there's nothing fluffy, Abba-like in any other decade. Good point.
Right! Until now that is, new album in Nov. I'm sure that'll make your day.
Old 09-12-21, 08:14 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts

The 70s
Old 09-12-21, 11:01 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

I'm sure that'll make your day.
Who brought up Abba? Not me. But if you like it, I think that's great. I might go figure out that one song I like of theirs after I update my ignore list.
Old 09-12-21, 11:10 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Right! Until now that is, new album in Nov. I'm sure that'll make your day.
I'm an ABBA fan!

I'm also a fan of Pitbull, AronChupa, Metallica, The Dead South, Sia, Nicki Minaj, Flo-Rida, Becky G, Jain, Indila, Eminem, Nathaniel Radciffe, Rag n' Bone Man and many more ...and then all the 80's and 70's Rock and Alternative bands I'm 'supposed' to like at my age!

I like most genre's, I like music from all over the World, in different languages, cultures. I also couldn't care less how 'talented' or not the singer/band/whatever so avoid those debates, if it makes me want to listen in the moment, it's all good to me.
Old 09-12-21, 11:17 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by big john
The 70s

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-12-21, 01:58 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Who brought up Abba? Not me. But if you like it, I think that's great. I might go figure out that one song I like of theirs after I update my ignore list.
Old 09-12-21, 02:11 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
I'm an ABBA fan!

I'm also a fan of Pitbull, AronChupa, Metallica, The Dead South, Sia, Nicki Minaj, Flo-Rida, Becky G, Jain, Indila, Eminem, Nathaniel Radciffe, Rag n' Bone Man and many more ...and then all the 80's and 70's Rock and Alternative bands I'm 'supposed' to like at my age!

I like most genre's, I like music from all over the World, in different languages, cultures. I also couldn't care less how 'talented' or not the singer/band/whatever so avoid those debates, if it makes me want to listen in the moment, it's all good to me.
Yeah, I'm just a fan of music and my taste are all over the place. Meatlof is another favorite to a point. His first MoTown album with Stoney was great and then everything from Bat out of Hell to Bat II is great in my book. The lastest few albums have missed the mark for me although there are some good songs mixed in there.

POD is a fav for when I ride now, Meg Myers, Foo Fighters, Sol Seppy, Radiohead, etc.

Even such as off norm as this album. I have it as a surround sound recording and it is so amazing to turn up the volume on this and just breathe it all in.

Last edited by jamesdak; 09-13-21 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-12-21, 09:26 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
Shaun Murphy is great! She is doing well in TN. Stoney = Shaun Murphy
She has been a member of The Silver Bullet Band (BOB SEGER) since the mid '70's.
She was a member of Eric Clapton's band on the 1985 TOUR with both, each Marcy Levy and Shaun performing lead vocals on one song in concert and backing vocals and percussion, tambourines, and dancing...

I saw her youtube channel about a year ago, and she has one up from Mar '85 in Sweden where she's doing "While You're Stepping Out, Someone Else Is Steppin In, with EC. I contacted her and told her my younger brother tape recorded the entire Savannah Civic Center concert 4-19-85, which was beyond great and that she tore the roof off of that place with "While You're Stepping Out, Someone Else Is Steppin In". I sent her the cd copies and another Holmdel NJ '85.
Check out her YOUTUBE channel.
She is doing great stuff with The Shaun Murphy Band.
Perhaps if the pandemic gets under control, you might get to see her LIVE, maybe in The Music City USA
Old 09-12-21, 10:13 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
ERIC CLAPTON Stockholm Sweden MARCH 1985 bootleg cd , Song: .....Steppin Out, ........ with SHAUN MURPHY lead vocals

Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 09-12-21, 11:23 PM
Gravel Rider

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 63 Posts
Old 09-12-21, 11:44 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Was a quiet afternoon. On call for work.
Messed around with the bikes. Working on the yard. Was a Lyle Lovett kinda day. This was a great one. Lyle playing a Guy Clark tune.
Old 09-14-21, 10:24 AM
Chickenwings

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
I'm up to riding for about an hour making about 15k a few times a week. My two playlists are:
ACDC - Get it Hot
Blondie - Will Anything Happen
Cheap Trick - She's Tight
Joan Jett - I want you and You drive me Wild
The Kinks - Destroyer
Nazareth - This flight Tonight
Prism - Spaceship Superstar
Joan Jett - Wild Thing
David Wilcox - The Grind and Hot, Hot Papa
Devo - Gates of Steel and That's Pep!
Heart - White Lightning and Wine
and
Jethro Tull Fat Man

#2:
The Monks - Johnny B. Rotten and Nice Legs, Shame about the Face
Blondie - Heart of Glass
Deep Purple - Highway Star
Girlschool - C'mon let's go
Golden Earring - Candy's Going Bad
Jack Green- Valentina
John Prine - Dear Abby
Nazareth - This Flight Tonight
Pete Townshend - I am an Animal
The Rolling Stones - Neighbors
John Lee Hooker - Whiskey and Wimmen
Ted Nugent - Wango Tango
The 568&8's - Whoo Hoo
Nena - 99 Red Balloons
The B-52's - Planet Claire
Likes For Chickenwings:
Old 09-14-21, 12:20 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by trainchaser
OMG. Brothers in Arms. I have that in a SACD 5:1 Surround sound format. My living room has a built in Klipsch Surround Sound system and I love to show up the systems by cranking it to Money for nothing. That intro, WOW!!!
Old 09-14-21, 12:32 PM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
Because I refuse to just listen to old-fart music despite my own encroaching old-fartiness, I've been actively listening to new artists and music lately. I've even considered making a "New Music for Old Farts" Spotify playlist or something. Recent faves albums include:

The Weeknd - "After Hours"
Nathaniel Rateliff - "And it's still alright"
Wolf Alice - "Blue Weekend"
Lightning Bug - "A Color of the Sky"
Dua Lipa - "Future Nostalgia"
Beach Bunny - "Honeymoon"
Celeste - "Not your muse"
Kathleen Edwards - "Total Freedom"

I do still listen to a fair bit of old-fart music, though.
Likes For denaffen:
Old 09-14-21, 09:02 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Ironically, Tom Petty was right: "God, it's such a drag when you're living in the past."

At 61, I've listened to all the "classic rock" I can stand. Give me the new stuff, whether it's hip-hop, power-pop, post-rock, or hardcore -- anything but the 70s FM drivel I grew up with.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-15-21, 10:22 AM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Ironically, Tom Petty was right: "God, it's such a drag when you're living in the past."

At 61, I've listened to all the "classic rock" I can stand. Give me the new stuff, whether it's hip-hop, power-pop, post-rock, or hardcore -- anything but the 70s FM drivel I grew up with.
100%. I don’t know how anyone can listen to the same thing over and over all their life. Go to concerts and hear the same music from the remaining 1-3 members. No thanks.

I appreciate the classics and can get into a binge here and there but I like keeping up with the new stuff and if anything, there’s something for everyone at this point. Being a “club kid” from the 80’s and 90’s I have electronic beats in my blood but I like the down-tempo stuff mainly. Glass Animals, Little Dragon, Tycho, Thievery Corporation those are my vibes
Likes For LibertyFLS:
Old 09-15-21, 10:26 AM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
We could have a whole side thread of newer artists covering old fart songs. Here's one:
Old 09-16-21, 12:11 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by bigg jon
The '70s

Old 10-12-21, 10:26 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
I did not know the Sparks were still going. Thanks. Not bad!

I am not quite enough of an old fart to have enjoyed Marc Bolan at the time e.g. in 1972 when I was 7 but now I think he is great.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Marc+Bolan

E.g.

Last edited by timtak; 10-12-21 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Added a couple of vide os
Old 10-13-21, 04:53 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
My musical tastes suffered arrested development in the late 70s, early 80s. By '84 I was raising a family and my drive to work listening to FM radio was so short I had little or no exposure to new releases. This short, less than 10 minute commute continued until 2012 and as a result, I never was fully exposed to things like grunge, rap, hip hop or anything else. And while I have heard of Pearl Jam, Nirvana and The Foo Fighters, I really can't tell you anything they are known for.

Now I have a 30 to 40 minute commute depending on how I hit the stop lights and my Sirius-XM presets are all '70s on 7, Classic Rewind, Classic Vinyl, The Bridge and the occasional limited time channels like Yacht Rock Radio. I also have some quirks I suppose where I flip through them often because there are some "standards" or "classics" that apparently many people enjoy that I don't for some reason like Bob Seger, Bruce Springsteen and a few others. As soon as one of those come on, I'm changing to something else. I also don't particularly care for The Beetles, but enjoy solo works from Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Star. I don't know what criteria Sirius-XM uses to give artists a dedicated channel, but I wish Led Zeppelin had a channel. None of the Artist's channels they have now are anything I care to listen to much.

But going back to the OP, I will usually stop my channel flipping if Baker Street comes on.

Old 10-13-21, 05:56 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
"To tie this back in to bicycling, I just checked, and the warehouse is an 8-mile bike ride from the house I grew up in. Because of traffic and stops it took so long to get there by bus, I never considered riding there on my bike, what was then a 2-year-old yellow Azuki 10-speed. Now at 58 I've been biking 9 miles to work for almost 30 years, and I am easily 10 years older than "the old men".
I lived in Chicagoland (Lincolnwood) for a few years and worked on Paulina Street by Diversey. That 'short' 10 mile drive was the longest commute of my life. Coming in on the Edens and merging into the Kennedy gave me a new appreciation of 'colorful' language. No shortage of idiots in front of me and jackasses behind me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.