Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Disc Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-20, 11:49 AM
Stickney
Longing for a Tail Wind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Disc Brake Conversion

I have a roughly 7 year old Motebecane Fantom CX Ti cyclocross bike that came with canti-lever brakes but had disc hubs and disc mounts as part of the build. I've been interested in getting a new wheelset and am wondering about just converting to disc brakes because that seems -- well -- inevitable.

It appears the frame and fork are pretty traditional 100 mm and 130mm spacing with QR. The bike also has 10 sp Rival. The hubs appear to have a 6 bolt pattern.

Are there any disc brake sets that would work?

(and yes, not converting is also an option).

Thanks!
Old 12-30-20, 11:58 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
TRP Spyre
SRAM BB7 (road version)
Juin Tech R1
Yokozuna
Hayes CX
Shimano BR-CX77
basically, any mechanical disc brake caliper designed for short-pull (road) levers will work. be sure you have the correct caliper adapters for your frame/fork and rotor size, and the rotors you want. sometimes those are sold separately because there are several permutations for fitting the caliper to the frame and different rotor sizes.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 12-30-20, 12:06 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
The 130mm spacing is traditional for road rim brakes, but was a very short-lived standard for road disc. Road disc quickly migrated to 135mm spacing, even before thru axle started taking hold.

I expect that you will have a hard time finding a selection of 130mm disc hubs. If you want to run multiple wheel sets, I would make sure that hubs are available before completing the conversion.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 12-30-20, 12:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
since your bike has disc hubs and disc mounts already, itll be pretty cheap to convert. Just get some disc calipers, rotors, and new cables.
trp spyre are good quality mechanical brakes.
juintech are good quality hydraulic mechanical.

these are 2 that ive used in the past so i know about them specifically.

whatever you buy, purchase some compressionless brake housing. specifically compressionless. it reduces the compression(obviously) that is inherent in spiral brake housing.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-30-20, 12:51 PM
Stickney
Longing for a Tail Wind

Originally Posted by aggiegrads
The 130mm spacing is traditional for road rim brakes, but was a very short-lived standard for road disc. Road disc quickly migrated to 135mm spacing, even before thru axle started taking hold.

I expect that you will have a hard time finding a selection of 130mm disc hubs. If you want to run multiple wheel sets, I would make sure that hubs are available before completing the conversion.
Thanks -- this is what I was lead to believe by a LBS. I can always just use my existing wheelset, and I assume I could re-use the hubs if I wanted to lace them to different wheels. hmmm.
Old 12-30-20, 07:13 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
Hydraulics are great.

However, in my limited experience, mechanical discs don't work noticably better than a good set of Canti brakes. Especially with salmon pads. And almost no futzing around.

For me, hydro disc are worth it. Mechanical is too finicky and don't offer any real improvement over rim.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 12-30-20, 08:11 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
The TRP Spyre, TRP Hy/RD and Avid BB& are great options for cable actuated brakes and will be an improvement over the rim brakes, especially when things are wet.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 01-03-21, 12:00 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Hydraulics are great.

However, in my limited experience, mechanical discs don't work noticably better than a good set of Canti brakes. Especially with salmon pads. And almost no futzing around.

For me, hydro disc are worth it. Mechanical is too finicky and don't offer any real improvement over rim.
There seem to be a lot of crappy mech discs out there with bad cables (I've felt some at a LBS).
I'm running a set of BB7's with full length compressionless housing though; they stop the same as my other bikes with hydros and the lever is just as smooth. Plus being able to adjust the pad spacing beats the long dead travel on hydros.
Likes For Caliper:
Old 01-03-21, 12:16 AM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
you are going to spend alot of money for a sidegrade, unless you want to run carbon rims everyday, then disc conversion might be worth it on the long run
Likes For Chi_Z:
Old 01-03-21, 05:33 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
you are not converting you are just installing discs if your frame can mount them but mech discs are terrible , hydros are only worth it because they give you full control over your brakes to lock , you can try to get a fork swap , you still wont get the benefit of through axles with a conversion, better to just upgrade the frame now instead of putting money into an old frame , you wont get much return over time ?!
Likes For Toespeas:
Old 01-03-21, 06:12 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,690 Times in 2,513 Posts
Are you sure about the spacing? Is this an aluminum frame? If steel, then just re-space it. Even an aluminum frame might fit a 135 hub without being bent. A year ago I would agree with people that this change doesn't necessarily make sense, but right now good rim brake rims are a pain to get. You definitely have to get lucky to buy one that will run tubeless.

I'm fairly happy with BB7 mechanical discs. I am not sure what better braking would really do for me since I can stop as quickly as I want with the bb7. I even have some bb5 on my fatbike and those seem to work just fine. OTOH, I'm sure I don't push my brakes as hard as some other people do.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-03-21, 10:03 PM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
The TRP Spyre, TRP Hy/RD and Avid BB& are great options for cable actuated brakes and will be an improvement over the rim brakes, especially when things are wet.
While I use and like TRP cable disc brakes (Spyke, the long-pull sister to Spyre) as well as Paul Klamper, I concur with the earlier post that disc brakes will not necessarily perform any better than properly set-up rim brakes. For example, the Paul Mini-moto brakes on my CX bike perform at least as well as cable disc Brakes, and they're lighter and easier to set up and maintain. (Paul brakes are also expensive, but I think there are generic mini-V brakes available too. The "mini" part is what makes them compatible with standard/short-pull road levers, which normal V-/linear-pull brakes are not.)
Likes For scubaman:
Old 01-05-21, 08:58 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
BB7 calipers are going to run you around $120, discs will be another $50. I don't know that mechanical discs will really perform any better than a properly set-up cantilever set will, but if you ride in lots of wet/muddy conditions (like CX racing) it might be worth it. I would definitely try this out before buying new disc-hub wheels. Disc hubs with QR/130mm spacing are an oddity these days. If you stick with rim brakes, you will have a lot more options for new wheels.

I've also gone down the road of trying out mini-v's. I had the TRP CX9's for a few years on my old CX bike. They're really powerful, but the modulation is terrible, the levers feel really mushy, and the pads have to be run super close to the rims so they do not work well in mud and were constantly rubbing.

I eventually replaced them with a set of Avid Shorty Ultimates, which have been (by far) the best cantilever brakes I've ever used.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-05-21, 09:00 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Stickney
I have a roughly 7 year old Motebecane Fantom CX Ti cyclocross bike...

The bike also has 10 sp Rival.
If you really like the frameset, you could also consider upgrading to an 11sp hydro groupset?
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-05-21, 07:37 PM
Stickney
Longing for a Tail Wind

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Disc hubs with QR/130mm spacing are an oddity these days. If you stick with rim brakes, you will have a lot more options for new wheels.
Thanks for all the replies -- indeed the 130mm rear spacing appears to be the big issue. I suspect I could squeeze 135mm in the frame, but ultimately the rim brakes work well enough and I'm going to stick with them.
Likes For Stickney:
Old 01-05-21, 08:39 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Stickney
Thanks for all the replies -- indeed the 130mm rear spacing appears to be the big issue. I suspect I could squeeze 135mm in the frame, but ultimately the rim brakes work well enough and I'm going to stick with them.
+1 for the salmon pads. I switched to these on my Shimano 5500 calipers, and they stop better than Shimano 5700 calipers with stock pads. For the cost of a new set of pads, you will probably see a dramatic difference.

Dave
Likes For bonsai171: