Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Got to ride in the rain today!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-22, 04:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts

Overcast day today, but nice and warm 81°F. Got a rain shower for five maybe ten minutes midway on a 90 minute ride. It felt wonderful to have the cool rain falling on me. Hopefully cold days will be few or gone altogether for a while here.

Then I thought about my son and others near Denver where it was 6°F today. Oh well, I guess I won't be in a hurry to go visit and ride out there.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-23-22, 06:01 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
was mid 50's yesterday with heavy rain & wind. Today is 19°F with some strong winds & random flakes from the sky.

At least a few more weeks of indoor riding is in the forecast before gearing up for going outside.
Old 02-23-22, 08:05 AM
808HIcycler

Bikes: 2020 Scott addict RC 10, 2024 Polygon Siskiu D7

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
I loved riding in the rain when I was stationed in Guam. I would ride once the sun went down in the evenings and the random showers were such a refreshment.
Old 02-23-22, 08:50 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Overcast day today, but nice and warm 81°F. Got a rain shower for five maybe ten minutes midway on a 90 minute ride. It felt wonderful to have the cool rain falling on me. Hopefully cold days will be few or gone altogether for a while here.

Then I thought about my son and others near Denver where it was 6°F today. Oh well, I guess I won't be in a hurry to go visit and ride out there.
Luck you! Our January average here was -5F to -10F and February hasn't been much warmer I miss my bike really much.
Old 02-23-22, 11:10 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
If you think riding your bike outside in the rain is some kind of flex, you need to raise your standards in life.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-23-22, 12:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
If you think riding your bike outside in the rain is some kind of flex, you need to raise your standards in life.
I think it's wonderful to promote rain riding. More people should do it. I remember the first time I was caught out in a brief hard rain, totally unprepared. I didn't know what else to do, so I just rode right into it. I was shocked to discover it was no big deal. Yeah, you get wet. Wet is not a bad thing. Cold would be a bad think if you didn't know how to dress for it. But riding along in the rain at any temperature above 40°, I'm encapsulated in my gear and having a great time. I still get wet, a warm wet, and I very much enjoy it. It's more fun that soaking my kit in sweat on a hot day.
Old 02-23-22, 12:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I think it's wonderful to promote rain riding.
Sort of like brushing one's teeth, everybody should ride in the rain but it isn't anything to brag about.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-23-22, 12:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Try riding with cold rain blowing at you all day for three straight days.

Just don’t use the circulars to line your leg warmers.

Last edited by indyfabz; 02-23-22 at 12:42 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-23-22, 03:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Try riding with cold rain blowing at you all day for three straight days.

Just don’t use the circulars to line your leg warmers.

I'll stick to an enjoyable somewhat warm rain shower. I have ridden century rides that were virtually all rain. Slogging away with my shoes full of water. Luckily not cold temps to require newspaper as insulation. Does newspaper work well at all when wet?

I shy away from riding when it's really cold. The fact I was able to enjoy the shower yesterday reflects my joy that the weather is finally warming up more than it's getting cold. Though today, the brief showers are very cold and the temps have dropped about 30° from yesterday to currently 52°F. I'm not riding today.

Tomorrow is supposed to be back up there in the 76°F area. So hopefully any rain I encounter will be somewhat warmer rain again.
Old 02-23-22, 03:34 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I don't enjoy the process of going from being dry to being soaked but once that process is done I have no problems riding in the rain. Especially if it's hot out but around here that doesn't happen often it's usually in the 50's or 60's which will strip your will to live unless you have the gear on.

...and yeah with our current weather I can only wish I was riding in rain in the 80's

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-23-22, 11:27 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Sort of like brushing one's teeth, everybody should ride in the rain but it isn't anything to brag about.
Exactly. Like the time I rode the Seattle to Portland 200 miler in one day and got rained on for the last 150 miles. It was such a pure joy. Not bragging about how joyous it was having the backsplash running down my back into my totally sogged out shorts and squishing shoes. It was so special. Now when it’s raining, I just run out to ride because it’s so much fun cleaning the bike too. So many upsides - at least I never get too hot.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-24-22, 08:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Does newspaper work well at all when wet?
It did not under those conditions, but I had to try something. I drove to Warren, OH for a tour home to Philly. When I left home in the morning the forecast was for possible showers the next day and then pretty decent after that. That changed drastically over the next several hours. The next morning it was already raining when I dropped off the rental car at the airport. The night before I realized that I had forgotten to pack my rain pants. Not long into riding I realized that my rain jacket had lost its waterproofness. It literally rained on me to one degree or another every minute I was riding. A guy at the restaurant where I stopped for lunch on the first day told me some areas could get 20" of rain over 3 days.

The photo was taken in a Motel 6 at the end of the second day. When I pulled down my leg warmers I first thought my legs were bruised. The next morning I nearly crashed and fell in front of a car after riding through a puddle that turned out to be a huge pothole. I bounced so hard my butt lifted off the seat and one had came off the brake hood. I still don't know how I managed to right myself. Later that morning there was about two inches of water running down the side of the road as I was riding up and down the non-stop hills. When I got to the next big town I got another motel room and called a friend. The next day he drove 5 hrs. to pick me up and another 4.5 hrs. back to his country house. It rained much of the drive back. The morning after that we drove back to Philly. Now THAT is a friend.

I did use newspaper successfully while descending Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park. A ranger invited me into the break room at the pass to get warmed up by the fire and offered me some newspaper. I lined the inside of my jersey and leg warmers, but it was not raining super hard, and my jacket worked that time.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-24-22, 11:58 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
In 5 years of road cycling, I have only been caught out in light rain once, the kind where there is still sunshine in nearby zip codes. The misting effect was nice and I did not get soaked.

My bike may be too optimized for dry weather, with a waxed chain and (soon to be installed) carbon wheels under rim brakes.
Old 02-28-22, 02:52 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,279 Times in 1,276 Posts
I live in Southern California so I really don’t worry about riding in the rain but I have been caught a few times. In the late seventies and early eighties my wife and I did not drive cars. We lived on a sailboat and rode bikes for transportation. If it was raining too hard then friends would give us a ride but that rarely happened. We had good foul weather gear and rode through most weather.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-28-22, 07:19 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts

I love riding in the rain (warm rain!) - the only downside is that the drivers tend to get a little squirrely - I think some of them low-grade panic in anything but perfect driving conditions
Old 02-28-22, 09:12 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
ah summer rain, what a distant memory
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-02-22, 12:16 PM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
I rode a 300k Brevet here in Maine last spring. The forecast called for 50 degrees F and light rain so I dressed accordingly. (Stupid) Actual temperature was 42 degrees and heavy rain for the last 80 miles. That was NOT fun! Especially after the sun set and I was constantly blinded by headlights on my wet glasses. I shivered for and hour and a half after the ride was completed.

David
Old 03-04-22, 04:51 PM
jpx313

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any day riding is a good day!
Old 03-09-22, 08:48 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Rule #9: If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.