Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Downtube shifters

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Downtube shifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-22, 02:41 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Downtube shifters

This bike doesn’t apply to this section but the shifters do. I was afraid if I asked in the gravel section I would get laughed off the board. I have a modern steel gravel bike that I run single speed a lot. But sometimes I throw gears on with a downtube shifter for a 1x10 set up. It works remarkably well. I do this for 2 reasons. The first is because this way I don’t have to mess with bar tape every time I switch over plus my high flare gravel bars put a really tight cable bend in a shift cable when using a brifter. The second reason is just because I’m a retro grouch and I love simple pure vintage stuff.

My one question is how do you shift when climbing a steep grade? I’m talking short steep punchy grades repeatedly not a long climb on a mountain pass. Is it possible to shift one gear at a time when pushing and pulling on the bars or is the old trick just to dump the entire cassette in one shot and use granny all the way to the top? The only thing I do miss about brifters, and I do mean only, is the ability to be out of the saddle on a climb and shift gears one at a time up or down to find your sweet gear for the standing climb. Any tips would be appreciated.
Likes For trail_monkey:
Old 03-20-22, 03:32 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
It all depends on how deleterious you are. are you running index or friction? One of the other things to remember with DT levers is to plan ahead a little more. I singletrack various bikes with dt levers and it's doable to shift in the flow if you've done it a few hundred times. I can't imagine most gravel being any more difficult.
Old 03-20-22, 03:39 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by Dylansbob;[url=tel:22445188
22445188[/url]]It all depends on how deleterious you are. are you running index or friction? One of the other things to remember with DT levers is to plan ahead a little more. I singletrack various bikes with dt levers and it's doable to shift in the flow if you've done it a few hundred times. I can't imagine most gravel being any more difficult.
friction. Older style shimano shifters from a vintage road bike. Definitely agree you have to plan ahead. It’s almost as if you even have to plan “am I going to stand and mash on this hill or sit and spin it?”
Old 03-21-22, 01:28 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by trail_monkey
This bike doesn’t apply to this section but the shifters do. I was afraid if I asked in the gravel section I would get laughed off the board. I have a modern steel gravel bike that I run single speed a lot. But sometimes I throw gears on with a downtube shifter for a 1x10 set up. It works remarkably well. I do this for 2 reasons. The first is because this way I don’t have to mess with bar tape every time I switch over plus my high flare gravel bars put a really tight cable bend in a shift cable when using a brifter. The second reason is just because I’m a retro grouch and I love simple pure vintage stuff. Any tips would be appreciated.
Makes complete sense.

My one question is how do you shift when climbing a steep grade? I’m talking short steep punchy grades repeatedly not a long climb on a mountain pass. Is it possible to shift one gear at a time when pushing and pulling on the bars or is the old trick just to dump the entire cassette in one shot and use granny all the way to the top? The only thing I do miss about brifters, and I do mean only, is the ability to be out of the saddle on a climb and shift gears one at a time up or down to find your sweet gear for the standing climb. Any tips would be appreciated.
I do the same when I'm set up with DT shifters. I toss the range, and try to immediately assess if I can drop a cog or two, and then do it right away. Very useful when you have rollers. Everyone else is playing catch-up and you are in the gear and moving on.

You may well end up with trombone muscle memory and learn to just toss 2/3 of the cassette.

I highly recommend get one of the options for indexed R side x 10-speed shifting.
There is a thread here on it. Downtube 10s

Most expensive: There are DT shifters by Dura Ace. SL 7800 or 7850 or 7900, I think.
Next best bet: There are bar end shifters that will swap over. B-SL79 or something like that (in the thread I mentioned).
Cheapest: Microshift 2x10 DT shifters. They've improved a lot, and you can save the L shifter for a different day.

Last edited by bamboobike4; 03-21-22 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-21-22, 02:56 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by bamboobike4
Makes complete sense.

I do the same when I'm set up with DT shifters. I toss the range, and try to immediately assess if I can drop a cog or two, and then do it right away. Very useful when you have rollers. Everyone else is playing catch-up and you are in the gear and moving on.

You may well end up with trombone muscle memory and learn to just toss 2/3 of the cassette.

I highly recommend get one of the options for indexed R side x 10-speed shifting.
There is a thread here on it. Downtube 10s

Most expensive: There are DT shifters by Dura Ace. SL 7800 or 7850 or 7900, I think.
Next best bet: There are bar end shifters that will swap over. B-SL79 or something like that (in the thread I mentioned).
Cheapest: Microshift 2x10 DT shifters. They've improved a lot, and you can save the L shifter for a different day.
your link doesn’t bring me to anything. I might have neglected that I am using a Sram x7 derailleur. I do have a shamanism XT dyna sys on the wall but either way neither of those will work with a road 10 speed drivetrain. I assume the micro shift 10 speed shifter you mentioned is for road? I do have a micro shift 10 speed mountain bar end. I just hated to use it and have it left hanging when I switched to single speed. I know I’m being anal lol 😁
Old 03-21-22, 03:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Yup, plan ahead. A life I knew well as a 1970s road racer. Both steep hills and sprints. What you've got is what you've got. Deal with it.
Old 03-21-22, 03:09 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

All my geared bikes are friction DT. Superbe top-mounted that are really nice shifters with 9-speed, SunTour Power Ratchets - so easy up through 7-speed; never tried beyond and the auto adjusting SunTours that have such easy action.
Old 03-21-22, 03:20 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by 79pmooney;[url=tel:22446225
22446225[/url]]All my geared bikes are friction DT. Superbe top-mounted that are really nice shifters with 9-speed, SunTour Power Ratchets - so easy up through 7-speed; never tried beyond and the auto adjusting SunTours that have such easy action.
this bike shift so buttery smooth with this set up. I remember when I had SRAM rival brifters and they work nice when they work but you get in a little mud or a little grit and things started acting funny. Plus you were always dealing with cable friction if the bends got too tight etc. And don’t even get me started on batteries. I have enough electronics to keep charged without remembering to charge my shifter. Things just can’t screw up with these friction shifters and I love them for that reason. Yeah they present a new challenge when you’re on loose surface Road trying to hit the right gear before I climb but I’m willing to deal with it to keep using these things. There’s nothing to go wrong unless you rip your derailer off or break a cable
Likes For trail_monkey:
Old 03-21-22, 03:31 PM
79pmooney

this bike shift so buttery smooth with this set up. I remember when i had sram rival brifters and they work nice when they work but you get in a little mud or a little grit and things started acting funny. Plus you were always dealing with cable friction if the bends got too tight etc. And don’t even get me started on batteries. I have enough electronics to keep charged without remembering to charge my shifter. Things just can’t screw up with these friction shifters and i love them for that reason. Yeah they present a new challenge when you’re on loose surface road trying to hit the right gear before i climb but i’m willing to deal with it to keep using these things. There’s nothing to go wrong unless you rip your derailer off or break a cable
+1
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-21-22, 04:53 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
...plan ahead...
Plan ahead... Plan ahead... Plan ahead... Plan ahead... Plan ahead...

And don't be surprised when Bammmm, you are stuck. I once popped three spokes forcing some gears when pushing up a hill figuring I would just MASH on up doing a cave man crawl. It was not worth it. Note that I have also seen people do the same with indexed shifters and brifters...

Still, I love my friction shifters...
Old 03-21-22, 08:50 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
your link doesn’t bring me to anything. I might have neglected that I am using a Sram x7 derailleur. I do have a shamanism XT dyna sys on the wall but either way neither of those will work with a road 10 speed drivetrain. I assume the micro shift 10 speed shifter you mentioned is for road? I do have a micro shift 10 speed mountain bar end. I just hated to use it and have it left hanging when I switched to single speed. I know I’m being anal lol 😁
Oops. There’s a thread with rccardr and motochick that discusses it. Sorry.

if you are using a X.7. A Shimano road R DT shifter will shifter a 700 series Deore/XT/XTR all day. rccardr can help you with that, too, if he’s not busy.
Old 03-22-22, 06:21 AM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by bamboobike4
Oops. There’s a thread with rccardr and motochick that discusses it. Sorry.

if you are using a X.7. A Shimano road R DT shifter will shifter a 700 series Deore/XT/XTR all day. rccardr can help you with that, too, if he’s not busy.
thanks I sent him a pm.
Old 03-22-22, 04:39 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
friction. Older style shimano shifters from a vintage road bike. Definitely agree you have to plan ahead. It’s almost as if you even have to plan “am I going to stand and mash on this hill or sit and spin it?”
Iove friction. A barend might help you with the climbing. Btw the only index I ever use is for a sturmey Archer 3 speed.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-22-22, 05:22 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,550 Times in 727 Posts
I like DT shifters; they're so efficient and functional. They look great. I put the SL79 guts into 6 speed bodies and levers.
But working uphill on the road I really like brifters.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 03-22-22, 10:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
In ye olden days, some racers used bar-end shifters for cobbled classics, cyclocross and stages with mixed terrain. Helps keep both hands on the bar even while shifting. But it mostly limits us to using the drops. Although it's a shorter reach from the hoods or tops to the bar end.

With practice you can shift the lever down by pressing with the base of the palm, and use the little finger to pull the lever up, while keeping both hands on the drops.

The tricky bit is getting adequate clearance for the knees. I still need to trim about an inch off the ends of my handlebars to ensure the bar-end shifters clear my knees for slow, tight turns.

But, yeah, brifters are easier.
Old 03-23-22, 07:44 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
As noted, you plan ahead. If the OP is running 1 x10, then it's obviously Hyperglide compatible you only need a 1/2 sprocket revolution to execute the shift. It may not sound great but it will shift, even under heavy gear train loading. All you need to do is make a couple of very strong pedal strokes so you can then back off and grab the shift lever. If it's too steep for even that, then ensure there is no traffic in front or behind and ride a diagonal line across the road. This will decrease the grade, allowing you make a couple of strong pedal strokes and execute the shift.