Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I broke my 2nd derailleur! what am I doing wrong?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-22, 08:18 PM
juntjoo

Bikes: Cannondale Bent 2, Fuji Royale, Mongoose Snare

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I've "winged" my way through adjusting it as I did originally when I broke the first one, so I'm still trying to figure out how it all works. I'm assuming I did something wrong though. IDK, you tell me. Somehow it ends up between the spokes. I was having to assist the shifting on my way home due to it suddenly falling out of position, the front derailleur actually, then I feel the bike eating the chain under me then see the pic above. Granted this time my bike was under a weird load as I had a trailer behind me with too much stuff strapped to it and the basket behind my bike. Not sure how relevant those details.

Would this derailleur work as a replacement? I will study the rear derailleur video I watched once before ride any of my bikes.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...TZ31-A-GS.html
Old 04-24-22, 08:32 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Three questions - 1) have you had the alignment of the derailleur hanger checked? (All bike shops have a simple tool that measures whether your derailleur is sitting true/vertical/parallel to your frame or how far off it is.) 2) Is your chain long enough to run over the big cog and big chainring? If not, any chance you tried to get into this "forbidden" gear? 3) (Closely relateed to 2) Does your derailleur have a long enough cage to allow the big-big combo?

All three of these can do what you've seen. The second two cause 1) often.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-25-22, 08:05 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
It appears you multiple issues. Your front gear not holding. Your derailleur hanger was bent and not realigned correctly. Your derailleur was not set correctly.

No, do not bother with that derailleur.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 04-25-22, 08:34 AM
Freerojo

Bikes: 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Triple 105, 1996 Cannondale RT2000 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Just saw something like this last night watching the Liege Bastogne Liege race. Mechanic hanging out the window trying to adjust a electronic derailleur for a rider. Showed him doing it twice, finally they showed the rider freewheeling with the derailleur ripped off the frame. My take: Derailleur wasn’t properly affixed or tourqed to frame causing mis shifts.
Old 04-25-22, 08:58 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 430 Posts
That replacement derailleur definitely won't work--wrong mounting to start with.

It looks like you're going to need professional help and tools on this one. Get the hanger checked and straightened, possibly even replaced if it breaks while straightening. The cassette will need to be removed to replace the spoke protector. As mentioned above, chain length and compatibility of derailleur should be carefully checked too.

Judging from the condition of the spoke protector, the low limit adjustment may be way too loose, the hanger is badly bent, and you shifted into the spokes.

Normally I'd remove the spoke protector, but this may be a good bike to have one.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 04-25-22, 09:03 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
If that spoke protector was in the same condition when you replaced the derailleur the first time, it should have been replaced or removed. If the derailleur were to touch it in its present condition, it would likely rip another derailleur off
Old 04-25-22, 10:14 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
You mention having a load on the bike (trailer). How is your spoke tension? Do you have flex in the wheel?
Old 04-25-22, 09:33 PM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Three questions - 1) have you had the alignment of the derailleur hanger checked? (All bike shops have a simple tool that measures whether your derailleur is sitting true/vertical/parallel to your frame or how far off it is.) 2) Is your chain long enough to run over the big cog and big chainring? If not, any chance you tried to get into this "forbidden" gear? 3) (Closely relateed to 2) Does your derailleur have a long enough cage to allow the big-big combo?

All three of these can do what you've seen. The second two cause 1) often.
No, to the eye it looked good and I just made sure at it max inward range it wouldn't hit the spokes.

No, I've used the largest cog

I suspected in my previous thread related to this my derailleur couldn't accommodate all gears having issues with it. And I assume the previous derailleur that broke the same was stock. But maybe not. I just picked it up free, looked stock and used.
Old 04-25-22, 09:36 PM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
It appears you multiple issues. Your front gear not holding. Your derailleur hanger was bent and not realigned correctly. Your derailleur was not set correctly.

No, do not bother with that derailleur.
What's wrong with it? How do I choose one?

And anyone have any tips on bending the dropout back? I've hoisted up a bench vice one a stool and maneuvered on but what a PITA.
Old 04-25-22, 09:41 PM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
So what caused it to hit the wheel? Did I up shift past 1st? I wish I remembered at the time. I wonder if both incidents were only similar in end result but not cause.

So issues up front could have caused this too?

I just plan on fixing this all myself since I got my stand and I want to make sure I never do it again. On a budget. Is this derailleur hanger alignment tool necessary?

And how do you choose a new derailleur. I'll buy used so long as it's in good condition and suitable
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 04-25-22, 11:09 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by juntjoo
So what caused it to hit the wheel? Did I up shift past 1st? I wish I remembered at the time. I wonder if both incidents were only similar in end result but not cause.​​​​​​
An improperly setup or adjusted rear derailleur can cause this, or a chain that is too short, or a bent hanger

But one other cause that hasn’t been mentioned is forcing a shift, especially to a larger cog while pedaling under load.

If you find yourself in the wrong gear trying to get up a hill and just force the chain over things get tweaked, chains can start separating, and before you know it the derailleur is in pieces or in the spokes.

I don’t know if this happened, but if you were able to shift the chain unto the largest cog without any issues when you installed the new derailleur, it might be your shifting technique; or shifting technique with other setup issues.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 04-26-22, 03:35 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
So what caused it to hit the wheel? Did I up shift past 1st? I wish I remembered at the time. I wonder if both incidents were only similar in end result but not cause
improper installation and/or adjustment
So issues up front could have caused this too? Maybe

I just plan on fixing this all myself since I got my stand and I want to make sure I never do it again. On a budget. Is this derailleur hanger alignment tool necessary?Yes

And how do you choose a new derailleur. I'll buy used so long as it's in good condition and suitable Capacity and compatibility. It needs to accommodate your chosen drive train cog capacity and be compatible with your controls. Start researching terms like "chain wrap" "max cog size", "shifter compatibility" and "cable pull ratio"
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
https://guides.wiggle.co.uk/rear-der...s-buying-guide
Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-26-22, 06:05 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
In general:
Improper installation/adjustment
Incorrect hanger alignment
Shifting under hard load and forcing the shift...when the springs recoil from attempting to shift under a heavy load they over shift usually between the largest gear and spokes

The fix: Bring it to a shop and let someone who knows what they are doing repair it
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 04-26-22, 07:30 AM
Mr. 66

have you looked on YouTube? RJ has a number of good videos, he has some hack methods if you don't have the right tools.

Whats going on up front probably has nothing to do with the rear.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 04-26-22, 07:46 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Seeing the fresh looking scratches on the seat stay end, just above the weld to the drop out, makes me think the der cage got tangled in the spokes of the spinning wheel. This rotates the der back and then up with so much force the der gets bent and often the spokes/wheel also suffer.

As others have said poor limit screw adjustment, bent hanger can both contribute to this possibility. Getting a stick caught up in the rear wheel spokes can also grab the der cage.

One poor limit adjusting method that I see too often (just yesterday at work on a carbon Trek with SRAM Rivel as example) is the mechanic uses the lever only to move the der through the gear range and relies on how much they see the der move as their feedback for proper limit screw use. BUT as most all current rear shifters are limited in their travel/cable pull (being indexed) the shifter has it's own range of travel that is only enough for the number of cogs it's made for. But the der is stupid and can't tell the difference between the shifter/cable moving it and some other object/force moving it. One really should use their fingers to move the der at it's limits after the initial adjustments just to make sure it is the screw that stops the der from getting too far into the spokes and not the shifter's limits controlling this. Yesterday's Trek service had me turning the limit screws nearly a turn each to establish the der movement range. This on a many thousand $ bike bought from a LBS (not ours and that shop just became a Trek Concept Store...) Andy
Old 04-26-22, 07:57 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
One really should use their fingers to move the der at it's limits after the initial adjustments just to make sure it is the screw that stops the der from getting too far into the spokes and not the shifter's limits controlling this.
This is exactly how it's done--you should manually try to force the rear derailleur into the spokes when it's on the stand. Don't use the shifters. You will immediately see whether or not the limit screw is adjusted properly, while rotating the wheel at very slow speed.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-26-22, 07:59 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
have you looked on YouTube? RJ has a number of good videos, he has some hack methods if you don't have the right tools.

Whats going on up front probably has nothing to do with the rear.
Cool, I'll give him a look.
Old 04-26-22, 08:15 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Seeing the fresh looking scratches on the seat stay end, just above the weld to the drop out, makes me think the der cage got tangled in the spokes of the spinning wheel. This rotates the der back and then up with so much force the der gets bent and often the spokes/wheel also suffer.

As others have said poor limit screw adjustment, bent hanger can both contribute to this possibility. Getting a stick caught up in the rear wheel spokes can also grab the der cage.

One poor limit adjusting method that I see too often (just yesterday at work on a carbon Trek with SRAM Rivel as example) is the mechanic uses the lever only to move the der through the gear range and relies on how much they see the der move as their feedback for proper limit screw use. BUT as most all current rear shifters are limited in their travel/cable pull (being indexed) the shifter has it's own range of travel that is only enough for the number of cogs it's made for. But the der is stupid and can't tell the difference between the shifter/cable moving it and some other object/force moving it. One really should use their fingers to move the der at it's limits after the initial adjustments just to make sure it is the screw that stops the der from getting too far into the spokes and not the shifter's limits controlling this. Yesterday's Trek service had me turning the limit screws nearly a turn each to establish the der movement range. This on a many thousand $ bike bought from a LBS (not ours and that shop just became a Trek Concept Store...) Andy
Thanks. I gotta study up on the park tools video I saw on adjustment. It's a bit of a process to get familiar with
Old 04-26-22, 08:19 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful responses. I'll update after studying and getting a new derailleur
Old 04-26-22, 08:20 AM
smd4

What's wrong with it?
Can't you see?? It's destroyed. I doubt you could ever get it back to spec. It looks mangled. Save it for spare parts--jockey wheels, springs, screws, etc.

How do I choose one?
Assuming it worked before, you could just replace it with the same model.

And anyone have any tips on bending the dropout back? I've hoisted up a bench vice one a stool and maneuvered on but what a PITA.
Please don't tell me you tried to adjust the dropout by lifting the frame up and putting the dropout in a vice.
Old 04-26-22, 08:24 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Can't you see?? It's destroyed. I doubt you could ever get it back to spec. It looks mangled. Save it for spare parts--jockey wheels, springs, screws, etc.

Assuming it worked before, you could just replace it with the same model.

Please don't tell me you tried to adjust the dropout by lifting the frame up and putting the dropout in a vice.
How else would I do it?? I don't a pair of 30lb pliers. Is there a special tool or method for this? It'd be a shame to have to trash the whole bike for this little part
Old 04-26-22, 08:37 AM
Mr. 66

Check the RJ videos he's got a couple of ways to align the hanger.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 04-26-22, 08:42 AM
smd4

How else would I do it?? I don't a pair of 30lb pliers. Is there a special tool or method for this? It'd be a shame to have to trash the whole bike for this little part
It's essential if you plan on working on your own bike that you have a decent stand. There are several available, some fairly inexpensive.

If I didn't have the proper tools, I would use a large adjustable wrench (i.e., a Crescent wrench). You should be able to get a pretty good vertical and horizontal alignment with that. STAY AWAY FROM PLIERS!--especially the "30 lb" version.

You can get a derailleur hanger alignment tool for probably the same cost as a good adjustable wrench:

Hanger Alignment Tool

This one will definitely get the job done--and as for as many derailleurs as you seem to be going through, may be a good investment. The fact that it threads in makes it better than an adjustable wrench right off the bat.

And for the love of god, keep that bench vice away from that poor bike frame.

Last edited by smd4; 04-26-22 at 08:52 AM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-26-22, 09:40 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
I personally just pay the shop $15-20 to align a hanger rather than buy the $85 tool for the rare times I've needed it done.
I have done it on POS bikes with a longer M10 X 1.0 bolt or a crescent wrench
Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-26-22, 11:52 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Think it was suggested last go around that you were in over your head. This seems to confirm it. If you want to have a reliable bike you need to find a good shop.
Likes For shelbyfv:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.