Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

V brake help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

V brake help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-22, 05:07 PM
dvrgrl38

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
V brake help

My daughters front v brake does nothing when you squeeze the handle. I noticed it is missing a part, I think it’s called the cable housing and stop? It is a 2 part bolt like piece with an opening on 6 side that the cable goes through. Could I remove one from a bike I’m not using and put it on this bike? I can’t seem to remove it from
the old bike, any tips? I can’t post pics yet, I’m too new.
Old 06-13-22, 05:24 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
The description is a little vague, but you maybe could take the brake cable "housing" from another bike or most bike shops sell small lengths of it for cheap and could make sure you're getting the correct housing or whatever is needed if you bring the bike in. Not hard to do but it helps to have some tools. This guy has some good videos to walk you through it. RJ The Bike Guy - YouTube Lots of others on YouTube as well.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 06-13-22, 05:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I would post some pictures so we can see what is going on. If something was missing on a new bike then you could reach out Shimano to get you new V-brake parts however if you are just talking about linear pull brakes they are potentially from another maker and you would reach out to them or have your shop file a warranty claim. If it is a used bike the pictures will really help.

If you are interested in bicycles get involved with the forums and post in some ACTIVE threads and in a short time you will have the 10 posts required to post pictures. That is all you need to post here but in the end you will probably make many more over time.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-13-22, 05:38 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
​​​​​​
Old 06-13-22, 07:05 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Dvrgrl38, "housing" is the flexible tube or jacket that the cable runs through from the lever to the brake caliper. The "stop" on a front V brake could be the thimble and locking nut at the brake lever that the housing and silver end cap fits into. Or it might be the bigger part of the "brake noodle" at the caliper that the jacket fits into.

Or is it the cable lock screw on the one V brake arm that you lost?
Old 06-13-22, 10:08 PM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Looks like the OP is talking about the barrel adjuster on the brake lever.

Photos: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/25317365
Old 06-14-22, 05:40 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
If it's just a barrel adjuster at the lever any shop should have one. If you have a bicycle co-op in your area probably get one for 50 cents.
Old 06-14-22, 01:31 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
It is in fact the barrel adjuster from the brake lever that is missing. Generally speaking, yes you can use the barrel adjuster from another bike if it is (ideally) the same size and threads, and also you can make it work with one that is a different size, but if it doesn't thread into the body of the brake lever it will be difficult to use as an adjuster... but as long as it acts as a cable housing stop and holds the end of the brake cable housing outside the brake lever then it will enable the brake to function.

Usually to remove the barrel adjuster you need to disconnect the cable to make enough room to unscrew it all the way. Sometimes these barrel adjusters' 'lock nuts' get tightened down with a tool and are hard to remove, but you really only need to put them finger tight. If it is tight after you have disconnected the cable then you probably just need a pair of pliers to unscrew it.