Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Ergon Grips on Brompton MR6 - GP1 or GP2?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-21, 02:59 PM
ciclista_pazza

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts

I'm picking up a Brompton MR6 this weekend and need to decide which Ergon grips to get put on - the bike shop recommended GP1 and GP2 grips. I did a little research on this site, but most of the posts regarding those grips are from about 10 years ago and there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about which ones are better and for what reason. I was wondering which would be more recommended for my Brompton? I also saw some comments that some people had to make adjustments to their gears or to the placement of the gears due to the grips. Just wanted to see what feedback I could get. Thanks.
Old 08-02-21, 03:10 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
None of them!

The main problem of the Brompton is the lack of comfort due partly to vibrations transmitted by the stiff wheels with high pressure tires.

Grips with a high vibration insulation like ESIgrips Ultra Chunky are a much better choice than Ergon that are made to reduce the pressure on the hands by their bigger surface for the hands and not to filter vibrations.
Likes For Jipe:
Old 08-03-21, 05:53 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I also shy away from Ergon. The metal band takes space and is highly unpleasant in winter. Moreover the grips cannot be flipped when they start wearing off and the rigid grips structure inflates the folded size - yes, the latter can matter when you try to fit the bike into a rigid suitcase. My choice are Sunlite gips that provide all the benefits and none of the above negatives. Their length can be trimmed if necessary.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 08-03-21, 09:46 AM
ciclista_pazza

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Originally Posted by Jipe
None of them!

The main problem of the Brompton is the lack of comfort due partly to vibrations transmitted by the stiff wheels with high pressure tires.

Grips with a high vibration insulation like ESIgrips Ultra Chunky are a much better choice than Ergon that are made to reduce the pressure on the hands by their bigger surface for the hands and not to filter vibrations.
Thanks! This is good to know.
Old 08-03-21, 09:47 AM
ciclista_pazza

Originally Posted by 2_i
I also shy away from Ergon. The metal band takes space and is highly unpleasant in winter. Moreover the grips cannot be flipped when they start wearing off and the rigid grips structure inflates the folded size - yes, the latter can matter when you try to fit the bike into a rigid suitcase. My choice are Sunlite gips that provide all the benefits and none of the above negatives. Their length can be trimmed if necessary.
Thank you! This is very helpful.