Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you get enough protein?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How do you get enough protein?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-20, 04:51 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
A. I'm 59 years old, there's a natural tendency towards muscle loss as we age.

B. I ride more than 200 miles a week for much of the year. Most of that riding is, as you say, hard.

C. If I ate protein at "normal" RDA levels doing that at my age, I'm quite sure I wouldn't be able to sustain that level of riding over those kind of distances as I would likely lose muscle mass doing so.

D. I'm quite sure you know absolutely nothing about that kind of riding.
Lion, I think the naysayers are younger guys. I am a couple years younger than you but I maintain a rigorous schedule of exercise, now all cycling because gym classes in NYC are still prohibited. In 2019 I completed 500 classes in weights, athletic conditioning and cross fit. Before the lock down I was on a pace to break that. Normal recommendations are for normally active people. They have not experienced normal aging and the loss of muscle so they don’t understand. Any Dr. with a brain will suggest to a patient to supplement either whey or a plant-based powdered protein.

I honestly cannot understand the opposition to whey because it is just a food product that is far cheaper than muscle meat and doesn’t contain any saturated fat. It is also the most bio available source of protein you can consume.

At some point they will see as they get older how things change. But that said I can dead lift close to 300lbs with a body weight of 165lbs and knock off 100 push ups and 50 pull ups which most of these youngsters couldn’t imagine doing. I also have a resting heartbeat of around 50.Its better just to ridicule rather than learn.

Last edited by Mulberry20; 10-19-20 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-19-20, 05:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
You are able to find the time to ride 200 miles per week.
That’s very cool and makes you special.
I mix my limited off time with riding and playing hockey. I am 55 and ran hard for 2.5 hours yesterday playing street hockey with mostly 30 year olds.
I eat a normal amount of proteins, do not lose muscle mass, and am pretty sure you know nothing about that.

Did I tell you what your protein needs should be? No.

Did you tell everyone on this thread what their protein needs should be? Yes.

Good for you for being active, but nothing you're doing has anything to do with regular endurance riding. You made a blanket statement based on a completely wrong premise, and as usual, you just assumed that anyone who has needs different than yours is just plain wrong.

​​​​​​Nothing new, just your usual trolling MO.
Old 10-19-20, 05:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Mulberry20
Lion, I think the naysayers are younger guys. I am a couple years younger than you but I maintain a rigorous schedule of exercise, now all cycling because gym classes in NYC are still prohibited. In 2019 I completed 500 classes in weights, athletic conditioning and cross fit. Before the lock down I was on a pace to break that. Normal recommendations are for normally active people. They have not experienced normal aging and the loss of muscle so they don’t understand. Any Dr. with a brain will suggest to a patient to supplement either whey or a plant-based powdered protein.

I honestly cannot understand the opposition to whey because it is just a food product that is far cheaper than muscle meat and doesn’t contain any saturated fat. It is also the most bio available source of protein you can consume.

At some point they will see as they get older how things change. But that said I can dead lift close to 300lbs with a body weight of 165lbs and knock off 100 push ups and 50 pull ups which most of these youngsters couldn’t imagine doing. I also have a resting heartbeat of around 50.Its better just to ridicule rather than learn.

I don't supplement, I just eat a lot of high protein foods. Everything I've ever read suggests that endurance and weight training both require enhanced protein intake, I just don't think it's clear that how you get to that level matters.
I'm getting over a bout of pneumonia right now, so my speed is way off, but normally I'm flying past people half my age on a regular basis.
Old 10-19-20, 05:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Pretty sure that goes well beyond what most people would call, "recreational."

That's essentially riding all three Grands Tours in a season..... seems to stretch the definition .... (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/recreation) recreation :
rec·​re·​a·​tion | \ ˌre-krē-ˈā-shən \
refreshment of strength and spirits after work

Seems to me you're doing a lot of work and would need a lot of refreshment of strength and spirits after that much "recreational" riding.

In any case, I'd say you've earned your extra ration of amino acid compounds.

Look at the second definition on your link. It fits. People can be very serious about their "hobbies."

"Recreational" really refers to the motivation, not the amount of an activity. https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/recreational

Yes, I know I'm not typical, but I happen to know from other posts that many of the people on this thread engage in atypical riding that would likely require a higher need for protein than "normal" .
Old 10-19-20, 05:27 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Did I tell you what your protein needs should be? No.

Did you tell everyone on this thread what their protein needs should be? Yes.

Good for you for being active, but nothing you're doing has anything to do with regular endurance riding. You made a blanket statement based on a completely wrong premise, and as usual, you just assumed that anyone who has needs different than yours is just plain wrong.

​​​​​​Nothing new, just your usual trolling MO.
It may come as a surprise to you, but I usually agree with what you post.
But you are offbase on this one. I simply questioned how much ‘endurance’ is involved in most of the riding done by BF posters. I may be wrong but I believe the average age on the forum is well into the 50’s and I doubt many of them are testing the limits of their endurance and putting themselves in peril of not getting enough proteins
Old 10-19-20, 05:47 AM
jack1234567

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
beef

beef,chicken
Old 10-19-20, 06:12 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
@livedarklions : You of all people should know better than to take me too seriously.

I actually studied sports nutrition a tiny bit, and a smaller bit about geriatric nutrition and exercise, and most of us who have, or have simply listened to their on bodies, or paid a little attention, have all come to the same or similar conclusions about nutrition and aging. Still, we are all different and have to adapt whatever is recommended to our own physiologies.

And then .... this is BF. people pontificate, cross-talk, miss points, make irrelevant points .... and parse each others' posts with hypersensitivity, looking for the slightest chance to demean someone else or at least their posts.

it is funny in a pathetic way, and pathetic in an unfunny way when I fall into it.

But yeah .... I actually pick and choose definitions from a few different dictionaries to find the ones I can best warp and distort to support my points, which I do with total glee because it is only BF and none of this matters. it is hard to take most posters here seriously, and I try to go with that flow and not be serious myself.

Lately I have not been able to do 200 miles a month .... though on the other hand, gyms have reopened and I started working out regularly. But you know how it is ... health, schedules, stress, and the occasional bicycle wreck keep me from dong the amount of exercise I wish I were doing.

Pretty impressive stats you are racking up there.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-19-20, 07:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

@livedarklions : You of all people should know better than to take me too seriously.

I actually studied sports nutrition a tiny bit, and a smaller bit about geriatric nutrition and exercise, and most of us who have, or have simply listened to their on bodies, or paid a little attention, have all come to the same or similar conclusions about nutrition and aging. Still, we are all different and have to adapt whatever is recommended to our own physiologies.

And then .... this is BF. people pontificate, cross-talk, miss points, make irrelevant points .... and parse each others' posts with hypersensitivity, looking for the slightest chance to demean someone else or at least their posts.

it is funny in a pathetic way, and pathetic in an unfunny way when I fall into it.

But yeah .... I actually pick and choose definitions from a few different dictionaries to find the ones I can best warp and distort to support my points, which I do with total glee because it is only BF and none of this matters. it is hard to take most posters here seriously, and I try to go with that flow and not be serious myself.

Lately I have not been able to do 200 miles a month .... though on the other hand, gyms have reopened and I started working out regularly. But you know how it is ... health, schedules, stress, and the occasional bicycle wreck keep me from dong the amount of exercise I wish I were doing.

Pretty impressive stats you are racking up there.

I didn't take your comments as anything but friendly, I was just quibbling with your linguistic quibble. If I came across as mad, I apologize for the mistaken impression. To me, it's kind of fun to look at the different ways we're interpreting words like "recreational".
Old 10-19-20, 07:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You're new paraphrase of yourself:

It may come as a surprise to you, but I usually agree with what you post.
But you are offbase on this one. I simply questioned how much ‘endurance’ is involved in most of the riding done by BF posters. I may be wrong but I believe the average age on the forum is well into the 50’s and I doubt many of them are testing the limits of their endurance and putting themselves in peril of not getting enough proteins
And what you actually said:

Recreational cycling is not an endurance sport by definition.
I highly doubt anyone on BF is in danger of not getting enough proteins based solely upon the intensity of their cycling.
Any reason you decided to post this here?
So "I highly doubt anyone" went to "I doubt many of them". Nice backpedal.

The difference between you and me is that I give other people credit for knowing what kind of riding they're doing and what their protein needs are. I also know that no one cares about my estimates of either of those things.

As far as agreeing with me most of the time, guess I missed that what with all of your habitual sarcastic dismissals.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-19-20, 07:25 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Has anyone mentioned riding with your mouth open to catch the bugs?
The better stuff is lying on the road, not flying above it.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 10-19-20, 09:37 AM
downhillmaster

You're new paraphrase of yourself:

And what you actually said:

So "I highly doubt anyone" went to "I doubt many of them". Nice backpedal.

The difference between you and me is that I give other people credit for knowing what kind of riding they're doing and what their protein needs are. I also know that no one cares about my estimates of either of those things.

As far as agreeing with me most of the time, guess I missed that what with all of your habitual sarcastic dismissals.
Wow.
I used the term highly doubt and then the term doubt and I am back pedaling?
That’s it? That’s your big reveal?
Pretty sad, but as you like to stalk my posts I guess it’s to be expected lol.
You keep feeding your body those extra proteins because you are such an endurance riding beast lol
Old 10-19-20, 11:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Wow.
I used the term highly doubt and then the term doubt and I am back pedaling?
That’s it? That’s your big reveal?
Pretty sad, but as you like to stalk my posts I guess it’s to be expected lol.
You keep feeding your body those extra proteins because you are such an endurance riding beast lol

Oh, and the shift from "anyone" to "many" is meaningless? It was an absolute backpedal. Basically, you went from "no one" to "not most". That's a big difference, cute you think you can just paint that over.

I don't stalk your posts, I just call 'em as I see 'em.

And thanks for proving my point about your habitual sarcastic dismissal. Go ahead and do another of your stupid thumbs up comments at me, I'm not bothering to read you after this point anyway.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-19-20, 11:12 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts

(snip)
This is exactly why I chose the signature line I use. We get into arguments here like this stuff actually matters, and like questions of opinion are questions of fact.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-19-20, 11:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by genejockey
This is exactly why I chose the signature line I use. We get into arguments here like this stuff actually matters, and like questions of opinion are questions of fact.
Disagreeing is fine and often fun and discussing it often enlightening. Unfortunately, a lot of people deal with it by going right to insult and accusation.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-19-20, 11:34 AM
browntoe

Bikes: Centurian frame fixed gear (my daily commuter) MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I was gonna go with 'roadkill'.
A good friend of mine and his brother were biking many years ago from Canada to Mexico, mostly down Hwy 101. In the middle of California somewhere, they were biking along and saw a sage grouse get hit by a truck ahead of them. There was a hawk circling above. While one scared off the hawk, the other plucked and cleaned the grouse. It was delicious. He attributes it to protein starvation to this very day, but I think it was just to have a great story.
Likes For browntoe:
Old 10-19-20, 11:36 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
To be fair, fresh grouse would be pretty tasty.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 10-19-20, 11:38 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
You would still find something to grouse about.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-19-20, 11:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by veganbikes
You are not a carnivore, scientifically speaking like all humans you are an omnivore.
I don't care what you say, the next time I'm getting Mexican food, I will not be ordering the omni asada.

Scientific or not, "omnivore" is probably the best description of my diet. I eat absurd quantities of vegetables, especially cruciform.

And I remembered another vilification of plant-based protein, the "paleo" kibosh on legumes.
My impression is that it's actually not hard to get enough protein as a vegan unless you pay heed to all of these faddish lists of foods to avoid. That seem about right?
Old 10-19-20, 11:55 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
Disagreeing is fine and often fun and discussing it often enlightening. Unfortunately, a lot of people deal with it by going right to insult and accusation.
it's a form of attention grabbing whether it is conscious or subconscious.
Old 10-19-20, 12:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Troul
it's a form of attention grabbing whether it is conscious or subconscious.

That's true of any type of posting on any social media. If we didn't like attention, we just wouldn't post.

You like to post a lot of jokes, that's obviously a form of attention grabbing. You do happen to be good at it, so you get a lot of attention. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-19-20, 12:24 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Scientific or not, "omnivore" is probably the best description of my diet. I eat absurd quantities of vegetables, especially cruciform.
I have found these to be a virtual miracle food, and have a suggestion for increasing their effectiveness still more. Raw garlic eaten along with them. YMMV, but the effect of those two foods combined works very well for me. I'm not a doctor, and not giving nutritional advice, just posting what works well for me.
Old 10-19-20, 12:28 PM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Protein is overrated, most people get way too much protein. It's a sales gimmick, protein, protein-protein. Take a look at the book Proteineholic by Garth Davis and Howard Jacobson.
Likes For royphotog:
Old 10-19-20, 02:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
I don't care what you say, the next time I'm getting Mexican food, I will not be ordering the omni asada.

And I remembered another vilification of plant-based protein, the "paleo" kibosh on legumes.
My impression is that it's actually not hard to get enough protein as a vegan unless you pay heed to all of these faddish lists of foods to avoid. That seem about right?
The paleos are crazy. We want to be like cavemen but our animal flesh comes prepackaged in styrofoam and plastic and we drove our SUV to get it. Clearly they haven't heard the classic ode "Beans, Beans the magical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot, the more you toot the better your feel, so let's eat beans for every meal"

It's not hard to get protein, period. Literally you have to actually actively avoid it and work really hard at it. Avoid harming others is the only thing one needs to really adhere to and you are golden : )
Old 10-19-20, 02:18 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I recently bought a can of sardines after reading an article about how tasty and nutritious they are. I haven't had the nerve to try them yet. My wife says I shouldn't open them inside the house....
Put em on pumpernickel or dark rye bread, and you will be close to heaven!
Likes For Wanderer:
Old 10-19-20, 02:24 PM
downhillmaster

Oh, and the shift from "anyone" to "many" is meaningless? It was an absolute backpedal. Basically, you went from "no one" to "not most". That's a big difference, cute you think you can just paint that over.

I don't stalk your posts, I just call 'em as I see 'em.

And thanks for proving my point about your habitual sarcastic dismissal. Go ahead and do another of your stupid thumbs up comments at me, I'm not bothering to read you after this point anyway.
There you go again with petty semantics. I stated my opinion and you could not state anything to counter it so you grasped upon semantics.
Do you disagree with me that the the overwhelming majority of BF posters are not endurance athletes in any way, shape, or form?
Or were you not perceptive enough to guess that that was my position from the start?
You have definitely moved up the list to become my number one random post stalker btw
It’s kind of flattering considering the fact that you are such an impressive endurance cyclist yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.