Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Searching for a paint -code, 80's Pinarello

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-21, 09:34 AM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts

This is not my frame - just a picture I found, trying to replicate this 80's vintage Pinarello color, a factory hue. Of course it's "Olive" but since color is subjective, I would say it has a bit more yellow in it, is a bit lighter brighter than, say, army-olive. All this means nothing to my painter though he needs to mix paint not talk about it. My Traviso is black but I like this green much better, any way it needs a repaint since its been repaired.

Would like to match this paint on my frame. ( Not my frame pictured, tho wish I had bought it now when I saw it on ebay last year..)

same frame from a different light /angle..

Last edited by kraftwerk; 08-02-21 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-02-21, 07:38 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I would not trust a reproduction of paint (as in photo or screen shot) to render small hues and tints correctly. Also the under layer color can effect the final top coat's hue so I would trust a good painter and have the exact color I wanted in hand to show them. This might be where auto painters have the edge (knowing that last comment might be argued). Andy
Old 08-03-21, 06:16 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Auto paint supply places can color match off a sample. You could try printing that photo and taking it to them. I haven't bought paint in a while but base coat used to cost in the range of $100/pint. You might want to talk to your painter first to find out where they buy their paint.
Old 08-03-21, 09:09 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I expect the painter wants the OP to choose. But maybe they can find it. BITD, I enjoyed going to the paint shop and looking through the books.
Old 08-03-21, 03:05 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
I'm a painter and my guess is that your painter doesn't want to have to choose from imperfect (to him) options. If you don't think his color choice is right, then it is his fault and you might possibly complain. Andy is right that there are a variety of factors that effect the final color. People not familiar with painting might think that it is a matter of just picking the right color code but what primer and sealer is used beneath the color coat and how many color coats effect the outcome. Also some colors have a bit of sparkle and some colors are a bit translucent. And a picture of a color never is the same as a painted tube. I would never begin to suggest what color code is correct from an internet picture. I think the next best option is for you to look at a real color chart and pick what you like. The 2nd best (and not as good an option) is to pick a color off of an internet color chart.

The painter should tell you what paint he works with. For example I work with is House of Kolor and old Dupont Imron. It is usually necessary to work within that family because of the activators and reduces have to work with whatever color of paint you choose. for example I would ask you to find a H of K paint chart and pick which one you prefer.
Likes For Doug Fattic: