Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 11-02-19, 04:41 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
...I *believe* collegiate is going to be open to USAC next year anyway (though I could be wrong).
I had not heard that. I really don't know why they needed their own categories. Made for more paperwork.
Old 11-03-19, 07:45 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I heard that as well, from someone in the local collegiate cycling team. It actually makes me want to train this winter to be able to join some collegiate races in the spring. I like road races and they usually have those.
Old 11-03-19, 09:26 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Today I'm catching and 81 year old local cyclist, I slow down and say hello and am kinda surprised. John never rides below 20mph @ age 81. If you've been around SoCal, Como, last century you know how John rides. John never has been a racer that I know of, just a leg breaker (Pilot, air taxi company owner list of super successful stuff) been riding Como from late 60s.

11 weeks ago John was riding with the fast group through Camp Pendleton a coyote runs into the pack. John goes down hard doing high 20mph and shatters femur. He gets anew 24" Ti one put in, and without really asking the doctors is out on the road this week again. He says he has to walk with a cane, but the cycling feels good. Hegg had that done (in his 30s) and went on to win some pro races. As I age, that guy is more inspiring than ever.
I know 2 guys in their 80s who still ride pretty well, although not "A" group fast. One still rides his age in miles every year, and they are hilly miles. The other got a new Tarmac last time I saw him and you would swear he is in his late 50s or early 60s, not 83.

The cane part reminded me of a friend who broke his hip several years ago and rigged some clips on his Kestrel for the cane. He could still climb well but if he got off the bike he needed the stick to walk. He's 74 now and still rides strong.
Old 11-06-19, 05:54 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
The Belgian Waffle Ride is opening up for registration on the 15th, and I'm on the fence about it. I'd hate to do it if its during the same week as the 1-3 road races here that I may be able win, but the SCNCA schedule isn't up. I'm also terrible off road, however BWR is close enough I can preview the sections enough to mitigate that. Anyone else planning on doing it?
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 11-07-19, 12:25 AM
big john

Originally Posted by furiousferret
The Belgian Waffle Ride is opening up for registration on the 15th, and I'm on the fence about it. I'd hate to do it if its during the same week as the 1-3 road races here that I may be able win, but the SCNCA schedule isn't up. I'm also terrible off road, however BWR is close enough I can preview the sections enough to mitigate that. Anyone else planning on doing it?
12,000 feet of climbing, 130 miles with 46 miles of dirt against some pros. Can I bring an e-bike?

Do you have a cross bike or would you do it on your road bike? Tires? I read Stetina won on a regular Trek Madone?
Old 11-07-19, 09:45 AM
furiousferret

I'd use my CX bike for it; I'm not rich enough to take my new carbon road bike on a course that would decimate it.

I'll probably swap out my 1x 46t crank for a 50/34 and put different tires on.
Old 11-07-19, 10:18 AM
big john

Sounds like it would be a lot of fun if you're up for the climbing and can handle the dirt. I guess it sells out quickly.
Old 11-07-19, 10:40 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I'd like to do it, as I've known Michael (promoter) for a bit now. He invites me every year, but those distances freak me out...especially that early in my season.

What does that race usually cost? I know the survival camps that he puts on are hefty, but I've never priced the actual race...

Last edited by Cypress; 11-07-19 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-07-19, 10:43 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
12,000 feet of climbing, 130 miles with 46 miles of dirt against some pros. Can I bring an e-bike?

Do you have a cross bike or would you do it on your road bike? Tires? I read Stetina won on a regular Trek Madone?
Stetina did it on his Madone with tubeless 28c file treads pumped up pretty dang hard. If I did that race, I'd throw 50-34 on my gravel bike and run 28-30 file tread tubeless. There's so much road that treaded tires would cost you a ton of time.
Old 11-07-19, 02:43 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by Cypress
I'd like to do it, as I've known Michael (promoter) for a bit now. He invites me every year, but those distances freak me out...especially that early in my season.

What does that race usually cost? I know the survival camps that he puts on are hefty, but I've never priced the actual race...
Originally Posted by Cypress
Stetina did it on his Madone with tubeless 28c file treads pumped up pretty dang hard. If I did that race, I'd throw 50-34 on my gravel bike and run 28-30 file tread tubeless. There's so much road that treaded tires would cost you a ton of time.
Yeah, that's the plan for me. The CX bike is going to be pretty close to a road setup. @TMonk did it so he should know the cost, I can't find it but I'm sure its well over $100.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 11-07-19, 03:08 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
I also know MMX (Michael) as I was on the first year of the Spy Elite cycling team when that was still a thing and when he was still the CEO. He had a lot of funds for us an even though we were 3's at the time he treated us like rock stars .

I'm not sure what the cost is for BWR as last year Spinergy paid for some of the SDBC 1/2/3's to ride as long as we rode their wheels. I did it last year on a 2013 Giant TCR that barely clears 25's on some tubeless Spinergy Z-lites with IRC tires.

I was in great shape last year but rarely (if ever) rode > 6 hours in preparation, which is about how long I trained for road anyway. I didn't prepare for the gravel/dirt, figured I'd be fine since I was acquainted with the trails on my MTB, haha nope. Turns out doing them on 25's warrants some practice.

I approached the event cautiously and didn't really ever over extend myself or force it to stay at front. Stopped to help some LA Legion dude with a flat from the front group at literally the first dirt section. I lost tons of time on the rocky/rooty sections and on gravel descents, and also burped my rear (road) tubeless twice going through Hodges on the way back which was good for another 15 minutes of frustration. But by the end I felt pretty good and had fun just flying by tons of people that weren't as fit as me during the final 20 miles or so of road. I'll be back next year.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 11-07-19, 08:02 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I'd like to do BWR some year. If I were doing it today.. I'd probably do it on my gravel bike with a 32c Gp5000 set up tubeless. Or maybe the really cool maxxis slick that comes in a 40. IDK
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 11-07-19, 08:29 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Come out next year! You've got a place to stay 30 min from the start
Old 11-07-19, 09:31 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
If I knew my grad school schedule I'd consider it. I need to figure all that stuff out first, then I can plan my race schedule
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 11-07-19, 11:34 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Got threatened by a driver on my commute home tonight. I did not react well.
Old 11-08-19, 12:15 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

yikes! Hopefully it was incident free outside of verbal altercation.
Old 11-08-19, 06:16 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
It's extremely difficult to react calmly and stay in control when someone literally threatens your life.
Old 11-11-19, 10:44 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Traveled all last week.

Didn't get any good workouts in. At my first hotel in Vegas, the gym didn't open until 6 - I had meetings starting at 7. What gym isn't open before 6? I was there at 4:30 and couldn't get in - Despite going to bed on West Coast time, I was still waking up at East Coast time all week.

I had the red eye home from San Diego on Friday night. I didn't sleep on it. At all. I had thought about riding on Saturday, but by the time I got home, and settled, I was kind of delirious and it would not have been smart to ride. Ended up sleeping almost 12 hours straight on Saturday night.

The highlight of my trip though was meeting up with Tmonk and his fiance for dinner before catching my late flight.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 11-11-19, 08:28 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Just reading this ups my HR by a few bpm. Based on the post, I assume you made it home fine without it escalating to something physical. Be safe.
Likes For cmh:
Old 11-11-19, 09:08 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Traveled all last week.

Didn't get any good workouts in. At my first hotel in Vegas, the gym didn't open until 6 - I had meetings starting at 7. What gym isn't open before 6? I was there at 4:30 and couldn't get in - Despite going to bed on West Coast time, I was still waking up at East Coast time all week.

I had the red eye home from San Diego on Friday night. I didn't sleep on it. At all. I had thought about riding on Saturday, but by the time I got home, and settled, I was kind of delirious and it would not have been smart to ride. Ended up sleeping almost 12 hours straight on Saturday night.

The highlight of my trip though was meeting up with Tmonk and his fiance for dinner before catching my late flight.
It was nice to meet you as well! Liz and I thoroughly enjoyed your company and conversation. We'll let you know if we ever end up in your neck of the woods, and be sure to do the same if you come back to SD.
Old 11-12-19, 08:56 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
How would you all handle your power and race category for Zwift racing between road and TT? I'm guessing I'll just be totally outclassed in TT if choosing to ride my TT bike.

I make enough power on the road bike, I foresee ZPower dealing a brutal blow to race category sooner than later if I do a road bike race.

Then, I'd be screwed on the TT bike.

Is there a way to change it somehow? It seems lots of events are "auto enforced" by category.
Old 11-12-19, 12:50 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
How would you all handle your power and race category for Zwift racing between road and TT? I'm guessing I'll just be totally outclassed in TT if choosing to ride my TT bike.

I make enough power on the road bike, I foresee ZPower dealing a brutal blow to race category sooner than later if I do a road bike race.

Then, I'd be screwed on the TT bike.

Is there a way to change it somehow? It seems lots of events are "auto enforced" by category.
this is quite a bit of hand wringing. Why does it matter you get outclassed on Zwift TT? It's a TT race, after all.

Sure, someone will be riding a road bike, hands on the hoods, for the Zwift TT event in which you participate. How does that materially affect you, other than the fact your ranking might be lower? If results and ranking has that big of an effect on your ego, might as well quit any form of racing. We all get seriously whopped by someone else, sooner or later.

do zwift road races on your road bike; do zwift TT races on your TT bike. If your ego really can't take the beating, do the zwift TT on your road bike, with your hands on the hoods or even tops; draw back being, you lose a session of hard training on the TT bike, but on the plus side, you get a higher ranking. Swings and round-abouts

not everything in the real world is going to be fully replicated online, and that's okay.

One way I get a leg up in real life was to get really aero and do the IAB. That's not an option in Zwift, and that's okay.
Old 11-12-19, 01:02 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Oh, it's not a big deal at all. It's purely entertainment icing on the cake for working out. Winning in Zwift isn't really winning, I see it as just some video game kudos. Just trying to optimize my experience is all.

I did resolve one concern, which was the workouts. Those go by your FTP number on Zwift versus the Zpower. So, I could I guess fix that per workout so that it's not yelling the entire time on the TT bike to "speed up".
Old 11-12-19, 08:03 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
In North Philly for work today, walking streets for surveying.

Man. I hadn't realized quite how bad the heroin had really gotten in some places.

A flop house had burned the night before on the corner we were on, still smelled of house fire. I probably saw 50 used needles, and I wasn't looking for them. No idea if I stepped on any, I was trying to be careful but they were just everywhere, along with all the broken glass from the fire. I had work boots on, so not really worried, but still not nice place to be walking around, even during daylight.
Old 11-13-19, 07:34 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Thought experiment, or a lesson in economics for me.........wheel prices and depths....

Alright. You've got the "tech" into a profile that you're going to go with in the 45 to 88mm range. Let's say. Companies publish and post these pictures. The profiles are not drastically different from a 50 to a 60 to an 88. Let's say you're going to offer a 40, a 60, an 88. Something like that.

The amount of "raw material" isn't drastically different between those, cost wise. The labor should be about the same.

So, why exactly are different depths of same profiles often up to 30, 40, 50% more costly? Across brands. It's way more obvious to me with the name brands also versus "chinabay" stuff. Their stuff is often a smaller % difference.

Is it supply and demand on the sizes and costing of the tooling spread evenly among the individual size versus the entire range? Meaning, does this indicate most people still buy pretty shallow depth wheels?

Or is it the chicken and the egg? More people were initially buying shallower wheels. So the prices became cheaper the shallower it was from that "momentum" in the market. And, we're still there today.

Whereas I betcha a beer that if you "reset" the market overnight and made all three depths from let's say a 30mm 60mm and 88mm all within $100 of each other for an entire wheelset............you'd see more folks buying 60's and 88's than you do today.

Just curious........it makes no sense to me. You don't pay 50% more for a size XL frameset or full bicycle versus a size S. And usually, you pay less for those once the sales hit and new models come out because that's what's left to liquidate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.