Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Carerra Crossfuse Brake Fluid

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-20, 05:50 AM
AndrewP22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

Please could someone tell me which brake fluid I need for the brakes on this bike?

ThanksAndrew
Old 10-23-20, 10:19 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
If you have Shimano brakes, you need Shimano Mineral Oil. Mineral oil is a generic term, the same as "motor oil", but there's no related SAE specifications, like 5W-30, so it's best to stick within the brand.
There's a small bottle that's ideal for a minor bleed after swapping pads. It's got enough fluid for about 2 full bleeds (3-4 brakes). There's also a 1L bottle that's cheaper per volume, but it's a lifetime supply for anyone other than a shop. The small bottle is enough to get most people started. If you have multiple bikes, then get the jug.

Last edited by gsa103; 10-23-20 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-23-20, 10:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Shimano Mineral Oil. Get the correct stuff, Mineral oil is not all the same Though Tektro/TRP might be using a similar formula to Shimano but I am not a chemist and cannot verify this for sure so the best thing to do is use the genuine article. You will also need a good bleed kit and I might recommend watching Park Tool videos if you haven't do it before or just taking to your local shop. Brake bleeds aren't bad but they can be a bit of a pain (especially when you have a leaky piston and you just cleaned everything and now it is covered again...luckily Shimano is sending a new caliper).

Also just FYI at least on the Halfords link they say top of the range Active Line motor. Bosch's top of that range would be the Active Line Plus (which has a little more support and torque) but the top of their entire motor range would probably be the Gen4 Performance Line CX or maybe Speed.
Old 10-24-20, 01:53 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewP22
Hello,

Please could someone tell me which brake fluid I need for the brakes on this bike?

ThanksAndrew
When you ask a question like that, it’s easier to answer If you tell us the make/model of the actual part you’re asking about instead of what bike it’s on.
There’s usually some fine print about ”exact specification may change at any moment”.

Failing that, a link to the bike also helps.
As it is, the bike is listed as having Shimano brakes, so they need (Shimano) hydraulic oil.
And as already posted, the oil alone won’t do much. You pretty much need a bleed kit too.