Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Rear Hub Research

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Rear Hub Research

Old 01-29-21, 04:06 PM
austin2359

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear Hub Research

After posting my previous thread, I received answers suggesting that my bike would convert well to an e-bike. My initial opinion, based on the fact that I want speed and don't mind a more bumpy ride, would be that a rear hub is the way to go.

However, everything just seems disorganized. There are 1000 different retailers, it's hard to get a clear comparison between different options and see the pros and cons of each. How would you start to organize all this so you can choose what is right for you?

I'd say for me, the most important thing is battery life and easy charging followed closely by top speed as the 2nd most important thing. Low noise is a distant 3rd priority. A "smooth ride" isn't that important to me.
Old 01-29-21, 04:26 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
All other things equal, top speed is relatively proportional to voltage; for me 1000w, 30 amp controller, 52V = 33 - 35 mph; if you want faster, go to endless sphere where the speed experts reside.

Battery life can be a fleeting target. I've had good luck with Luna Cycle with a good price/performance structure.

Direct drive motors (look at ebikesca for a tutorial) are very quiet and a 1000w kit can be had for about $200 (ebay).
Old 01-31-21, 05:23 PM
austin2359

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The budget would be as low as I can go but I'm willing to wait, put money away, and spread it out over credit card payments, if necessary to get to acceptable performance. I probably could see myself dropping around a grand if i really had to, but then we're talking a few months out.