Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

my first bike-frame-jig: assembling the parts

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 04-17-21, 12:59 AM
apollodriver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

dear community.

i am currently working on my first bike-frame-jig: assembling the parts

i need to find a distributor for such screws (see the black ones in the image) - sorry for my bad english - in fact we do not call those things screws.

background: my machinists has created all the parts - the extrusion and all the other parts. Alll i need now - are a buch of these black screws.

can i obtain them on amazon - or at least get a picture of a parts ist - so that i can "name" them!?

to sume up: i would be more than glad if you can link me to a distributor - eg. Amazon or so...

many many thanks for all

have a great day

look forward to any and all help
Old 04-17-21, 05:01 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
I got them from McMaster Carr. If you want to use Amazon, search "adjustable handles". There are plenty of options on there. Pay attention to the length of the threaded stud. If they are too long, they will bottom out in the extrusion before they get tight. I had to cut some of mine to get them the correct length.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 04-17-21, 05:15 AM
apollodriver

Dear DSaul

many thanks for the quick reply - i am glad to hear from you

Originally Posted by dsaul
I got them from McMaster Carr. If you want to use Amazon, search "adjustable handles". There are plenty of options on there. Pay attention to the length of the threaded stud. If they are too long, they will bottom out in the extrusion before they get tight. I had to cut some of mine to get them the correct length.
thanks - for helping out - " adjustable handles - " - that was missing here - this term.

thanks #
have a great day
Likes For apollodriver:
Old 04-17-21, 05:53 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
One company in the US that specializes in various handles is Reid Tool and Supply in Muskegon, Michigan. That is where I got my adjustable handles to replace the cheap plastic ones that came on my Anvil. They were bought out by Essentra another supplier of similar products. Eventually it turned back to Reid Supply (minus the Tool). They have all kinds of knobs and handles. Where are you located? Essentra is located in the UK as well. I had a framebuilding class student that bought one of my Ukrainian made fixtures and could save a little money by bringing the nuts and bolts from where he worked.

MSC is another huge company like McMaster Carr. They carry a variety of products used to make stuff. They have a number of warehouses around the US.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 04-17-21, 06:44 AM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 112 Posts
Carr-Lane carries a pretty thorough selection of fixturing parts and equipment.
Old 04-17-21, 09:35 AM
mikeread

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
If you are only making the occasional frame you might be better just using normal screws and washers as you will not be constantly altering your settings and these are less likely to get in the way.
Likes For mikeread:
Old 02-21-23, 07:14 AM
apollodriver

hello dear MikeRead
If you are only making the occasional frame you might be better just using normal screws and washers as you will not be constantly altering your settings and these are less likely to get in the way.
many thanks for the sharing of your ideas.