Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling and hand signals

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling and hand signals

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-21, 11:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I don’t think so. That does not say what motorcyclists must do, but rather is an advisory to drivers for what to look for in hand signals from a “motorcyclist, scooter operator, or bicyclist.”

As stated by the MI Secretary of State which oversees licensing and endorsements, right hand up for right turns is the “proper” signal for motorcyclists:

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,...7468--,00.html

I’ve not had a motorcycle endorsement since 1996, FWIW.
Appears you are correct. While the verbiage I found elsewhere in the online stuff for Michigan sort of leaves a lot up for the imagination of who is allowed to do the optional signaling with the right arm. But this link below is the actual law for Michigan unless there is an if and or but somewhere else. So I guess it becomes a question of what is the law enforcement enforcing and will they be okay with a motorcyclist using a right arm.

Michigan Legislature - Section 257.648

Interesting that there isn't an exception for those in motor vehicles being driven from the right side. I doubt my state has an exception either. But it's time for lunch.
Old 08-02-21, 11:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Some people live in smaller worlds than others, but we all have the capacity to think bigger and better.

Ask not what your early 20th century hand signal can do for you, ask what you can do for your early 20th century hand signal.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-02-21, 11:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by genejockey
BTW, one of the times I use the 'right arm pointing' to signal a right turn is when I have to cross a freeway off-ramp, when traffic coming off is crawling. Pretty sure that the drivers I'm signaling that I want to pass in front of them wouldn't have a clue what I wanted if I raised my left arm.

This is pretty close to being the only time I bother to signal a right hand turn.
Old 08-02-21, 11:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Kinda.Motor cycles are motor vehicles with the same ability as cyclists to use both arms, but I believe they’re required to hand signal just as cars are.
might be related to what controls are on which bars. I don't ride but do they have rear brake & clutch on right bar?
Old 08-02-21, 11:39 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
might be related to what controls are on which bars. I don't ride but do they have rear brake & clutch on right bar?
Throttle and front brake IIRC, both of which probably come in handy when setting up for a right turn.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-02-21, 11:42 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Nope. Rear brake is usually a pedal on the right side. Clutch is on the left. Throttle and front brake are on the right. Kind of important not to let go of the right because it keeps the go juice flowing and the front brake accessible if you need to stop the go juice.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-02-21, 11:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

So, let's get back to my question. Does anybody on this thread actually use turn signals on a MUP? Right turn signals in particular?
Old 08-02-21, 11:51 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So, let's get back to my question. Does anybody on this thread actually use turn signals on a MUP? Right turn signals in particular?
I have before. I pointed right with my right hand/arm because it's a clear way to let other users know what I will be doing.
Old 08-02-21, 11:52 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Geez ....people will argue all day on the smallest of things....Here is my contribution.

I have no idea what Indiana law is for bicyclists. I use my left hand as that is what I learned and still use on my motorcycle when I feel a hand signal is warranted. Yes my motorcycle has turn signals but sometimes it is about being as visible as possible.

I feel that on a bicycle either method is acceptable but those who think that a driver will "get" that a right arm pointing is any clearer than a left arm bent at a right angle is deluding themselves. Most driver's probably have little to no idea what any hand signal means in the first place. My belief is that most motorists have no idea what you are doing if they even see you in the first place.

I still signal because I am a dignified cycling gent and believe that it is proper courtesy : )
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 08-02-21, 11:55 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I tend to avoid MUPs, but sometimes they're a lesser/necessary evil. In those instances, yes, I'll signal if there's someone nearby that would possibly be affected by my change in speed and/or direction.
Old 08-02-21, 12:01 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
What if the hazard is to your left?
we keep right, so don’t call out to the left.
Old 08-02-21, 12:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I tend to avoid MUPs, but sometimes they're a lesser/necessary evil. In those instances, yes, I'll signal if there's someone nearby that would possibly be affected by my change in speed and/or direction.
I tend to signal all turns regardless, so I don't have to remember to do it under certain circumstances. I don't signal stops unless it's the situation I described above, where not doing so might lead to being run over by cyclists unaware of the habits of San Mateo County deputies.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-02-21, 12:03 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

^^ I love MUP and it takes up the most of my riding. I can easily go 60 miles and rarely have to ride on regular roads. I can't recall ever using a hand signal on a MUP as I have never really turn off the path. When I am on the few surface streets I need to traverse to get back to campus I will use hand signals. Thankfully I only have a left turn to make thus avoiding the dreaded left arm bent/right arm controversy : )
Old 08-02-21, 12:10 PM
WhyFi

I tend to signal all turns regardless, so I don't have to remember to do it under certain circumstances. I don't signal stops unless it's the situation I described above, where not doing so might lead to being run over by cyclists unaware of the habits of San Mateo County deputies.
Yeah, I tend to signal most of the time, but make a point of it if there's someone nearby. Well, stopping/slowing is one of those automatic signals, unless it's hard braking that requires both hands on the bars.
Old 08-02-21, 12:11 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
we keep right, so don’t call out to the left.
Sounds like you ride in some unique settings not common for most people, so your habits and rules won't work outside of your parameters. Any pack that rides 2 or more wide may encounter a situation where they have to split to go around a hazard. It's totally cool that you only ride single file and never pass each other, and that you expect all the drivers around you to be educated, but I don't see that working where I ride.
Old 08-02-21, 12:14 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
Another point is are you required to give a continuous hand signal ?
Old 08-02-21, 12:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
^^ I love MUP and it takes up the most of my riding. I can easily go 60 miles and rarely have to ride on regular roads. I can't recall ever using a hand signal on a MUP as I have never really turn off the path. When I am on the few surface streets I need to traverse to get back to campus I will use hand signals. Thankfully I only have a left turn to make thus avoiding the dreaded left arm bent/right arm controversy : )
I'm glad your experience of MUPs is different from mine, which always left me wanting to use hand signals, but not the ones prescribed in the vehicle codes. Perhaps you've got a better class of pedestrian than I encountered.

Old 08-02-21, 12:28 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Sounds like you ride in some unique settings not common for most people, so your habits and rules won't work outside of your parameters. Any pack that rides 2 or more wide may encounter a situation where they have to split to go around a hazard. It's totally cool that you only ride single file and never pass each other, and that you expect all the drivers around you to be educated, but I don't see that working where I ride.
if we’re two abreast, the one on the left calls out on their right…which is to the left of the riders at the fog line. We ride the same way in IN, OH, and KY aswe do at home and it mostly works fine. If it’s something real serious on the left, it gets called with the left hand, but that’s an exceptional circumstance, because the baseline flow is to the right.

Last edited by chaadster; 08-02-21 at 12:54 PM.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-02-21, 12:29 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
I live a few blocks from a system of interlinked MUPs that could easily be strung together for 60+ mile rides, too. Doing such a ride would be absolute torture to me. *shudder*
Old 08-02-21, 12:31 PM
WhyFi

If it’s something real serious on the left, it gets called with the right hand,
You point out stuff across your bodies? voidh
Old 08-02-21, 12:32 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
if we’re two abreast, the one on the left calls out on their right…which is to the left of the riders at the fog line. We ride the same way in IN, OH, and KY aswe do at home and it mostly works fine. If it’s something real serious on the left, it gets called with the right hand, but that’s an exceptional circumstance, because the baseline flow is to the right.
That makes sense. Still not how I would do it, but sounds like it works.
Old 08-02-21, 12:42 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Old 08-02-21, 12:45 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Rick
Another point is are you required to give a continuous hand signal ?
It depends. I don’t signal all the way through the turn. I will usually give a signal before a turn for a few seconds, then I get my hands back on the bars so that I have control of the bike in the turn. There’s no hard and fast rule and even if they were, I’d ignore the rules if my safety is going to be compromised.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-02-21, 12:49 PM
cyccommute 

if we’re two abreast, the one on the left calls out on their right…which is to the left of the riders at the fog line. We ride the same way in IN, OH, and KY aswe do at home and it mostly works fine. If it’s something real serious on the left, it gets called with the right hand, but that’s an exceptional circumstance, because the baseline flow is to the right.
You really like to make things harder. I don’t ride in groups all that often but pointing at something on the left…pothole, rock, dead body, etc…with the right hand seems a good way to confuse people. I’m not completely ignorant about group riding and I’ve never seen anyone use their right hand to point out problems on the left. Talk about confusion!

Old 08-02-21, 12:50 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

I'm glad your experience of MUPs is different from mine, which always left me wanting to use hand signals, but not the ones prescribed in the vehicle codes. Perhaps you've got a better class of pedestrian than I encountered.
Our pedestrians are oblivious and would be as bad as drives. One section I ride on is crushed packed limestone ..... lightly trafficked. Our major rail trail has some little villages on it that have lots of foot traffic to be aware of. Half the time a bike bell attracts them into your path. I just use abundant caution. Little kids and inattentive pet owners worry me the most. I do ride the rural roads around where I live but the state of todays distracted drivers as well as country bumpkins who think messing with cyclists is good sport deters me somewhat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.