Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Wheel Build for Next Season

Search
Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-11, 08:17 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts

I'll starting to research for a new tubular race wheel set for the upcoming seasons and need some advise.

I would like to stay around 1400g or lighter. I'll be using the Novatec hubs listed here https://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-Road.asp#F482SB .

I'm looking at rims currently and deciding between something like a Ambrosio Crono f20, velocity escape, mavic reflex or velocity major toms. The major toms are interesting because they are wider than the rest and built for CX racing. There is a weight penalty but not much.

Has anyone used the newer wider rims racing and will it make a difference in handling? Any other thoughts on the build?
Thanks
Old 05-05-11, 09:12 AM
aaronis31337

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would start from scratch

I would check out the latest offerings from Williams. They are said to be amongst the best wheels available. I know several racers who swear by them.

At $999 it will still cost less than you building these on your own. Take your hubs and build some nice training wheels.

https://www.williamscycling.com/

Originally Posted by Cynikal
I'll starting to research for a new tubular race wheel set for the upcoming seasons and need some advise.

I would like to stay around 1400g or lighter. I'll be using the Novatec hubs listed here https://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-Road.asp#F482SB .

I'm looking at rims currently and deciding between something like a Ambrosio Crono f20, velocity escape, mavic reflex or velocity major toms. The major toms are interesting because they are wider than the rest and built for CX racing. There is a weight penalty but not much.

Has anyone used the newer wider rims racing and will it make a difference in handling? Any other thoughts on the build?
Thanks
Old 05-05-11, 09:30 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Those wheels are almost 200g more than what I'm looking at and about 3 times the price. How are those in any way a better deal?
Old 05-05-11, 03:53 PM
availpunk9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ran those hubs w/Mavic Reflex rims w/32 F/R spokes. I would go for major toms, if building again. I tried a wider profile tub rim; I couldn't notice drastic handling differences, but I think it provides a better glue bed for cross tubs.

Pick up some extra bearings; the ones that came w/the hubs suck. They got crunchy ~1/3 season. Super easy to replace though, ~10 min for rear and much quicker for front.
Old 05-09-11, 08:08 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Thanks Avail, I'll look at a spare bearing set.
Old 05-10-11, 07:22 PM
larry e.

Bikes: stevens prestige, douglas matrix, lemond poprad sscx, specialized rockhopper sl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know its not helping in the building of a new wheel set, but I just got a set of revolution rev25 for around $500 with shipping. They are a small company and are always around the mid atlantic cross races. ~1500 grams so they are a bit heavier than you were looking for. Just thought I would throw them out there.

How light are they novatec hubs? If you pair them with either velocity rim you would have to get some pretty fancy spokes to reach your desired weight.

I was trying to build up a dt swiss hub/velocity escape/dt swiss comp spoked wheel and couldn't get it below 1700g
Old 05-10-11, 10:33 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

The Novatec hubs are combined 321g. Those combined with a 440g rim and a 24/28 spoke wheel build comes in at about 1440g.
Old 05-12-11, 09:55 AM
hocker

Bikes: Road and Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
Has anyone used the newer wider rims racing and will it make a difference in handling?
Handling is supposed to be better, but I think the true benefit of wider rims is gluing contact area. With the narrower rims you will notice tire base tape extending over the rim, with the 303s, HEDs, Major Toms, etc this isn't always the case. Obviously everyone hates rolling tires and I hate using tape, so wider rims makes sense to me for CX. My next wheels will probably be these, or something similar: https://www.carrollcomposites.com/#/wheels/x-series
Old 06-16-11, 04:55 AM
STP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velocity also makes the A23 rim which, as the name suggests, is a 23mm wide, low profile rim. It's said to have a feel more akin to a tubular setup and gives the user the ability to run lower pressures. Mate those up to your hubs in a 32 spoke configuration and you'd have a pretty bomb-proof wheel for the rigors of cyclocross.

However, if you're ready to take the jump to tubulars, a guy named Britton at Vokler Bicycles in Kansas City is assembling tubular carbon rims in either 38mm or 50mm depths with cXray spokes and C-4 hubs with a wheel set weight less than 1200 grams for $700.00 a set. Look him up and give him a call: www.volkerbicycles.com
Old 06-16-11, 07:35 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I've been using a 32 spoke Velocity A23 / Shimano hub wheelset since April. I'm 215 lbs and its been bombproof. I was using Mavic Open Pro rims with good results, the Velocity A23 perform as well and I find the wider rim provides a smoother ride and better handling.