Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Really large disk brake rotors

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 09-23-19, 12:08 PM
Larry Lem 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I see Santana has 10" rotors but they cost $180. (Gen 4 from Precision Tandems). There is a monster disk brake rotor at 255 mm from BicycleDesigner available at Amazon for $69, but they designed it to be an odd shape for some reason. Are there any other rotors out there larger than 203 mm? I'd try adapting a motorcycle disk but they run about .200" thick. I measured my 203 mm disk at around .075" thick.
Thanks
Old 09-24-19, 09:06 AM
quemazon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What year is your tandem? Some of the Santanas around 2004 use 203mm discs (if you're lucky). I looked for 10" rotor alternatives (and found the same one you did), but eventually realized that my Santana was spaced for 203mm rotors. that simplified things considerably, as I could use Shimano ice tech rotors. They have been great.
Old 09-24-19, 09:21 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry Lem 1
I see Santana has 10" rotors but they cost $180.
Do you even know if (probably not) your fork is rated to take a monster sized rotor? They aren't all up to the stress. Plus I would think that tires start to be a limiting factor in ultimate stopability even with 'normal' sized rotors. Most riders don't need more powerful brakes, they need to ride 3 to 6 seconds ahead of their brakes. Even the motorcycle riders have to do that, they ride 12 seconds ahead of their .200" thick rotors!
Old 09-24-19, 11:31 AM
DKMcK 
I'd rather be riding

Bikes: Santana Team Ti 700 S&S, Trek Madone 6, Omega Ti,Klein Palamino, Trek 510

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Santana's, up until this year, had disc brakes only on the rear.
Old 09-24-19, 12:13 PM
Larry Lem 1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't have a tandem. I race streamliners at the World Human Powered Speed Challenge in Nevada each September.
I was thinking of changing from a 406 front wheel that has a disk brake to a 650c wheel with a rim brake. I want to use that brake very minimally so as not to blow the tire. I'll be depending on the rear brake more. The rear brake is 406 wheel with a 203 mm disk. The dropouts are bolted to brackets that are bonded to the inside of the shell. As I may use a stronger rider who will go faster and require more braking during the 3/4 mile-long shutdown area, I want to increase the brake size in the rear for more heat capacity (not braking power). I do not have machining capability to make a dual disk rear hub and am looking for alternatives such as larger rotors.
Old 09-24-19, 02:05 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Galfer is currently offering 223mm x 2.0mm rotors. Hope made 225mm floating rotors for a while... might be some old stock out there. TRP is rumored to have some 223mm x 2.3mm rotors coming soon.

Risse Racing offers a number of dual-disc front hubs. You might consider using rim AND disc brakes on the same wheel.
Old 09-24-19, 05:53 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
The bigger the rotor, the less the stress placed on the hub and wheel mountings (not more.) The rim is the biggest possible disc, right?
Good luck and success with your streamliner racing. Most of us just think about how you guys squeeze out more speed -- but the rider has to be thinking, OK, now how do I get this thing stopped?
Would a parachute help? I suppose it adds more complexity than it's worth maybe?
Old 09-24-19, 08:33 PM
MikeAndJean

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 18 Posts
225mm Hope rotors

This photo shows the 225mm Hope rotors we put on our new tandem (a Ritchey Breakaway). They are great. When the calipers are adjusted correctly, we can slide the rear wheel, which is more braking than you need. This is with mechanical calipers.

Old 09-25-19, 11:50 AM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeAndJean
This photo shows the 225mm Hope rotors we put on our new tandem (a Ritchey Breakaway).
Looks great! What mount do you use in the rear to fit that rotor? Add something to a 203mm mount?
Old 09-25-19, 04:17 PM
MikeAndJean

Yes, pictures being worth the proverbial kilo-words, here is a photo. Note the additional spacers directly between the caliper itself and the mounting.

Old 09-25-19, 06:18 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Yes, pictures being worth the proverbial kilo-words, here is a photo. Note the additional spacers directly between the caliper itself and the mounting.
Thanks. What brand/size is that top bracket? And how thick the spacers?
I'm temped to try this on our Co-Mo Speedster with TRP HY/RD+Ice Tech rotor, which is better than the old BB7 but still not stoppy enough for my tastes.
Old 09-25-19, 08:58 PM
MikeAndJean

Sorry but the middle piece, which appears black in this photo, has no part number or markings of any kind. I bought it at the local bike shop because it "looked" about right. Of course, it wasn't quite right. I had to add the spacers, which I measure to be 0.112 inches. As you probably recognized from the photo, the lower part, which appears dark grey in this photo, is a standard Shimano mount for 203mm rotors.

Old 09-26-19, 12:51 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I spotted a 254mm rotor while wandering around Eurobike, branded as Now8. You can see it in their catalog on page 180 (or N21) with an adapter. They seem to have an online store that shows the rotor for 99 euros and the adapter for 18 euros. Unfortunately, I have no other knowledge about this brand.

Old 09-26-19, 06:38 AM
Joint Venture

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That sure looks like a dead ringer for the Santana Gen 4 rotor (pictured below)!
Old 09-26-19, 06:50 AM
riceowls

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Diamondback Century 2, Trek T2000 tandem, K2 Enemy cyclocross, Bike Friday tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
This photo shows the 225mm Hope rotors we put on our new tandem (a Ritchey Breakaway). They are great. When the calipers are adjusted correctly, we can slide the rear wheel, which is more braking than you need. This is with mechanical calipers.
I didn't realize Ritchey makes tandem frames! I have a breakaway cross and really like the idea. Does it pack into 2x suitcases?
Old 09-26-19, 08:10 AM
MikeAndJean

Thread drift

Originally Posted by riceowls
I didn't realize Ritchey makes tandem frames! I have a breakaway cross and really like the idea. Does it pack into 2x suitcases?
It fits into two bags, one the same size as used for a Breakaway single. The second bag is slightly larger.
Old 09-26-19, 05:48 PM
sapporoguy

Is this yours? How thick is that rotor?

Originally Posted by Joint Venture
That sure looks like a dead ringer for the Santana Gen 4 rotor (pictured below)!
Old 09-26-19, 05:59 PM
Joint Venture

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, it’s our old 2001 Santana Sovereign tandem that we sold almost a year ago. I’m not sure how thick the braking surface is, and can’t measure since it’s gone, but the braking surface did not seem noticeably thicker than the Santana Gen 3 254mm one-piece steel rotor and the Avid 203mm rotor that preceded it.
Old 09-27-19, 11:53 AM
sapporoguy

Originally Posted by Joint Venture
Yes, it’s our old 2001 Santana Sovereign tandem that we sold almost a year ago. I’m not sure how thick the braking surface is, and can’t measure since it’s gone, but the braking surface did not seem noticeably thicker than the Santana Gen 3 254mm one-piece steel rotor and the Avid 203mm rotor that preceded it.
I recognized that tandem! Looks just like our 2000 Sovereign. I'm just wondering if the rotor is slim enough to fit in our HY/RD caliper; current disc is 1.8mm thick, I believe.
Old 09-27-19, 12:21 PM
Joint Venture

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sapporoguy
I recognized that tandem! Looks just like our 2000 Sovereign. I'm just wondering if the rotor is slim enough to fit in our HY/RD caliper; current disc is 1.8mm thick, I believe.
I can’t imagine it wouldn’t work!
Old 09-30-19, 02:33 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sapporoguy
They sell exactly the same rotor in sizes down to 160mm, so I can't imagine it's any thicker than standard. I also zoomed in on the originals of the photos that I took at Eurobike, the thickness is not marked but it looks to be pretty normal.
Old 10-01-19, 08:39 AM
Philphine

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
i have the bicycle designer one on one of my stretch cruisers (just on the front. still need to build the rear wheel to add the other). if you're meaning the outer flat sides, i think if the caliper is positioned well the contact area stays consistant. at least as best i can tell, as i welded the caliper mount on myself. in any event it seems to work well by it's self with no rear at the moment, also considering it's a pretty heavy bike (started with a coker monster), but i'll qualify that by adding it's a cruiser that doesn't see very high speeds.
Old 10-08-19, 11:45 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Presumably under sustained braking (long downhill, for example), you'd have the rotor heating up, but, regardless of how big the rotor is, you'd also have the brake pads and housing heating up. It may be that they're already at the point where bigger rotors don't really accomplish much.
Mounting two brake units on a single rotor might help keep the heat down if you didn't just twist the rotor into a pretzel.
Intentionally shifting airflow to the brake might accomplish more- something along the lines of a hood scoop on an HPV.