Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Excuse a chuckle... Apple's new magic pad...

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 04-22-20, 02:02 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10643 Post(s)
Liked 2,668 Times in 1,838 Posts

No, this is not a criticism... I really like my wife's iPad for all it's power and convenience. Our pad is linked to Verizon, so it works anywhere... and that really IS a cool thing.

What I am chuckling at is all my years of telling visitors to my office to "don't touch my screen" when they wanted to indicate where I should make a change in the design. I actually had little pointers in the office for them to use so I would not have to constantly clean dirty fingerprints off the screen. Well times changed, touch screens came along and I got flat computer screens... and visitors still wanted to touch my computer screens... and I could see why... everywhere else they had access to touch screens. SIGH

Our phones and pads are all touch based. But my work of CAD is mouse based... Specifically, 3 button mouse based. And now here comes Apple, with a Magic Pad.... which essentially imitates... you got it... a mouse. Guess folks got tired of dirty screens.
https://www.cnet.com/news/apples-ipa...-gestures-now/

BTW, we have long had a Logitech keyboard cover on the iPad... it is great at protecting the screen, and vastly nicer to type upon. Magic Pad... who knows. I still like mouses. And I honestly don't mind screens meant for touching. Wipe em off when they are "sleeping."
Old 04-22-20, 02:51 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 5070 Post(s)
Liked 1,778 Times in 1,057 Posts
Apparently the laptop I've been using for years has a touch screen.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 04-22-20, 03:06 PM
JayKay3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 47 Posts
Likes For JayKay3000:
Old 04-22-20, 03:10 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked 1,582 Times in 1,049 Posts
Shouldn't we be wiping down with disinfectant after each touch!

Seriously (well sorta), I started CAD before mice started camping near PCs. Digitizer and lots of keystrokes. Ah, the good old days. DOS 10. Rock solid (20 pound) 486 computers that didn't crash or get viruses. (They didn't crash because they were too heavy to go anywhere.) AutoCAD 10. Slow, klutzy and very, very reliable. Still have 12 on an XP machine from early this millenium. Still works. AutoCAD is getting cranky but its a 5000 dollar program that came out of my pocketbook so as long as it works ... (Cool thing about 12 is it has usable 3-D. I've got most of my house in it. A lot of work but how incredibly useful!)

Ben
Old 04-22-20, 03:17 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 29 frames + 74 wheels

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
ah, the good old days. Dos 10.
Dos 10 ?

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 04-22-20, 03:23 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2157 Post(s)
Liked 2,256 Times in 1,457 Posts
I知 glad I知 isolated and like it. I知 not buying into the New Normal. Not whipping my I-pad either. Crazy times.
Old 04-22-20, 03:47 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked 1,582 Times in 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
Dos 10 ?
I'm getting my DOSs and AutoCADs confused. I think 1990 was DOS 6. That DOS (if I have it right) and AutoCAD 10 was bulletproof. On the 486 (or even a 386) one of the most crash-proof combos I've ever used.
Old 04-22-20, 04:09 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

I'm getting my DOSs and AutoCADs confused. I think 1990 was DOS 6. That DOS (if I have it right) and AutoCAD 10 was bulletproof. On the 486 (or even a 386) one of the most crash-proof combos I've ever used.
MSDOS 6.22 was the last version that was released for retail purchase. It limited you to a maximum 2 Gb hard drive partition. I have a computer running Microsoft Windows 98 SE that comes with an underlying MSDOS 7.1 that allows up to a 128 Gb hard drive partition. There was also a Novel DOS 7 that was roughly equivalent to MSDOS 6. I have several DOS computers and a Windows XP computer in addition to a modern Windows 10 computer. All of these computers, except the Windows 10 computer can run my 16-bit DOS software.

I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 04-22-20, 04:32 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
I知 glad I知 isolated and like it. I知 not buying into the New Normal. Not whipping my I-pad either. Crazy times.
Did you buy into the old normal?
Likes For no motor?:
Old 04-22-20, 04:35 PM
genec
genec

Shouldn't we be wiping down with disinfectant after each touch!

Seriously (well sorta), I started CAD before mice started camping near PCs. Digitizer and lots of keystrokes. Ah, the good old days. DOS 10. Rock solid (20 pound) 486 computers that didn't crash or get viruses. (They didn't crash because they were too heavy to go anywhere.) AutoCAD 10. Slow, klutzy and very, very reliable. Still have 12 on an XP machine from early this millenium. Still works. AutoCAD is getting cranky but its a 5000 dollar program that came out of my pocketbook so as long as it works ... (Cool thing about 12 is it has usable 3-D. I've got most of my house in it. A lot of work but how incredibly useful!)

Ben
Started ACAD on a 386, and the 387 math coprocessor cost something like $900 back then. Of course there were no viruses... there was no internet. We used "sneakernet." "Let me walk that disk over to you."

I hate having to upgrade computers... done it so many times it has just gotten beyond ridiculous. Back then you could copy the .exe files and the .ini files from one comp to another and be done with it.

I may have used a 286/287 too... but I honestly can't remember. Too many DOSs and Windows ago. Do recall in an interview telling the interviewer that I had used AutoCAD since the '80s, She said, "No way, it isn't that old..." Likely, she never heard of DOS either. SIGH.

Now, don't touch my screen... I just have to clean it... AGAIN!
Old 04-22-20, 05:22 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2157 Post(s)
Liked 2,256 Times in 1,457 Posts
What is normal? Keep Austin and Hondo, Texas Weird
Old 04-22-20, 05:43 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by genec View Post
Started ACAD on a 386, and the 387 math coprocessor cost something like $900 back then.
That sounds about right. My first serious hard drive computer that I bought 31 years ago cost me about $10K in 2020 inflated dollars. My newest computer that I bought a year ago cost me less than 1/10th that much. Still, all that pales in comparison with the cost of the IBM 360/70 mainframe computer that I used and programmed at my job in the 1970s.

Old 04-22-20, 06:53 PM
hazetguy 
PutABitOfPaperOnThem

Bikes: I might have a few. Just sayin'

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 677 Posts
why would i want to whip my ipad?
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 04-27-20, 06:04 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 1,019 Posts
I remember way back when I was an intern (over 20 years ago) one of the guys that supervised me was super vigilant about people not touching his screens.

I thought anyways Mac didn't believe in touch screens. For laptops anyways.
Old 04-28-20, 04:49 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 4092 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
I remember way back when I was an intern (over 20 years ago) one of the guys that supervised me was super vigilant about people not touching his screens.
I was corrected quite early because of my habit of tapping the screen for rhetoric effect, and was told this was bad for the (CRT) screen. Maybe that's the background?

Anyway, I believe the mouse is ergonomically good. A touch pad is bad, a touch screen is all right but not in combination with a key board. The computer industry seems to have a habit of sacrificing ergonomy for new technical possibilities just because they're new.
Likes For Stadjer:
Old 04-28-20, 01:45 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Stadjer View Post
I was corrected quite early because of my habit of tapping the screen for rhetoric effect, and was told this was bad for the (CRT) screen. Maybe that's the background?

Anyway, I believe the mouse is ergonomically good. A touch pad is bad, a touch screen is all right but not in combination with a key board. The computer industry seems to have a habit of sacrificing ergonomy for new technical possibilities just because they're new.
Back in the old CRT days, the screen was usually a matte finish to reduce glare... and difficult to clean well... touching the screen left little greasy fingerprints...

These days with LCD flat screens, especially touch screens, the surface itself is smooth, easy to clean... but still, IT HAS TO BE CLEANED. If not a touch screen, don't touch it.

As far as sacrificing ergonomics for technology... oh so true... my wife, an artist, years ago was trying to use a mouse to draw and concluded it was like "drawing with a brick." I got her a tablet and stylus... she has long returned to pencil and paper... as it is "so responsive."

I am an engineer, and to this day I keep pencil and paper close at hand for ideas/notes/quick sketches... I joke in meetings "look, they have a built in delete function... " (eraser) And of course, no batteries required.