Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Oil With Some Tenacity?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Oil With Some Tenacity?

Old 05-04-20, 03:41 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
W = Winter

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
A tangent, sorry: W does *not* stand for "weight", even though it was common to refer to grades of oil that way! It's a measure of the oil's ability to flow at cold temperatures ("W" = "winter".) For instance, a 10W30 oil or 80W90 transmission oil has to be able to flow at -25°C or it doesn't get that "W" number. The higher number has to do with its viscosity at hot temperatures, originally 100°C although a 150°C spec was added a few decades ago.

Bicycling-friendly temperatures are somewhere in the middle of those two ratings, so we needn't worry too much about the exact numbers.
Of course "Winter" makes total sense. I wanted to make my description easy to understand... but...

I retired last year after a 40 year career in manufacturing, engineering, and industrial sales in the metal working industry. For almost 10 years before that I was involved at least monthly with the machine shop at Chevron's Research Facility in Richmond, CA.

One of the labs responsibilities was continually running QC friction tests on their existing lubrication products as well as experiments on new high pressure additives and new types of lubricants. The gold standard was to run 2 hardened rotating small steel wheels or disks against each other under controlled pressure until failure to measure a lubricant's longevity and breakdown characteristics.

Even the folks at the lab referred to "W" as "Weight" when discussing viscosity.

While working my way through school in the 60's and 70's I wrenched on everything from VWs to steel mill machinery (and finally bicycles).

xx Weight was always the vernacular used to specify the viscosity of liquid petroleum based lubricants - from 5W and 10W transmission fluids (ATF) to 120W and heavier gear oils...

It's like Kleenex and other vernacular terms that have become part of the language....

BTW, lubricants used in jet aircraft engines are some of the most challenging applications because they have to withstand extremely high temperatures as well as extremely low temperatures at higher altitudes.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 05-07-20 at 12:48 PM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 05-04-20, 04:10 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
Dry Chain Lubes

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
"If you ever get the chance, try Chain-L, created and sold by a BF member."
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll put that on my list of chain lubes to try. I gather that it's a sticky wet lube? Because of the dry dusty conditions out here in the west, most of the year I have to use a dry or dryish lube.
The OP's original question was about lubrication for freewheels but I'll chime in my 2¢ worth....

I HATE this:

I don't intentionally ride in the rain and having lived in the southwest before moving to NorCal, I've been using dry chain lubes for over 45 years.

I've tried a lot of different brands. I'd been using White Lightning Clean Ride for a number of years. It drys to a whitish wax and dirt sort of drops off in flakes.

Several years ago, someone suggested Finish Line Dry Bike Lubricant. For chains, it's the best stuff I found so far. Not messy, doesn't pick up dirt and works smoothly. I paint it on my chains and FWs with a cheap acid brush so I don't waste a lot of it like what happens with direct application.

My 2¢ worth.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 05-07-20, 05:29 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I too like Chainsaw Bar and Chain lube. I bought a quart of Echo 1 from Home Depot, and then load up a 10cc syringe with needle (I have a medical background so have these things). Once a freewheel is cleaned or flushed thoroughly, I try to inject both front and back along the seam lines, usually easy on the front, difficult in the back due to tight tolerances. A syringe needle is beveled so many times you can wedge it in and disperse around the circumference or just at 4 points of the compass and spin. In most cases inject enough to get the pawls to quiet down and if it dribbles out the other side, you have enough. Then set aside and wipe up any excess that comes out. I too like my freewheels to run smoothly and mostly quiet, and so far after 5 years, never had any problems with freewheeling or pawls not activating when needed on Suntour freewheels that I use.

I sure wish that modern freehubs would use something like this or a little thinner, I really hate the whiny clacking of a freehub, hear that all the time and it sounds like the hub is about to explode!!

The SDS sheet that Echo 1 puts out states the oil is:
COMPONENTS Concentration (%) Petroleum distillates,
hydrotreated heavy naphthenic 75‐95%
Residual Oils, hydrotreated (petroleum) 5‐25%

and Viscosity @ 40°C 146cSt (note 40°C = 104°F) and Viscosity @ 100°C 10.3cSt where 100°C is 212 deg. F or the boiling point of water at STP. I'm not sure how hot a freewheel could get at say 30 mph downhill freewheeling but it could certainly heat up some.

Per this chart that works out to 85W-90 Gear oil at normal temps and roughly 80W at 100 deg. C. So for our purposes on a bike 85W-90 unless you're riding in Death Valley in the summer. 50 deg C = 122 deg F.

Phil's Tenacious SDS is here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...US_OIL.pdf?335
States it is 44mm2/S (44cst) at 40 deg. C. Which would work out to only a 75W gear oil so I'm not sure how that squares with verktyg's post #25 about 120W transmission gear oil.

Last edited by mech986; 05-07-20 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-08-20, 12:32 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
@mech986, I haven't bothered to observe, but my intuition tells me that coasting down a hill at high speed won't develop much heat in a freewheel. I'd be surprised if it reached 10ºF above ambient temperature.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 05-15-20, 05:49 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 419 Posts
Quickly scanned the document and "Hydraulic Oil" was used as a classification.
Old 05-15-20, 07:08 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
For viscous oil, I use chainsaw and bar oil. It's pretty good.

But then I discovered Chain-L is even a little nicer. Sure it costs a lot more per ounce than a bottle of motor oil, but I only use it on my chains, so the cost to use it is still low.
Originally Posted by scarlson
+1 for bar&chain oil!

I can't really tell the difference between this stuff and Phil oil. have a theory that Phil just buys bulk stock bar&chain oil and adds green dye.

I have oiled Shimano freehub bodies with bar&chain oil and they work down to the teens of degrees, Fahrenheit, on my daily commute.
I too have used Chain-L for chains, but have always wondered if it was specifically developed for bike chains or some home-brew experiment that actually worked. I was filling up the bar oil reservoir on my chain saw earlier this week and thought that the bar oil looked and behaved just like Chain-L. It did not smell the same. Chain-L has that distinctive sulfur smell, so perhaps some MbS2 was added to bar oil for additional lubrication. Perhaps, too, Chain-L is just a mix of bar oil and hypoid gear oil. In any case, I agree with @scarlson that most bike specific lube products are probably just bulk spec lubricants that are repackaged.

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 05-16-20 at 06:10 AM.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 05-15-20, 09:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
I emailed privately with Francis, the creator of Chain-L. He used to be active on bikeforums. He won't give the formula away, of course, but he did describe it. If I remember right, it is similar to bar and chain oil but it also has a solvent to make it penetrate small spaces better. The solvent dries up leaving just the oil in the right places. He has some kind of advanced degree and knows what he's doing. He's been a bike person forever so he needs bike stuff to work well just as much as we do.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 05-15-20, 09:35 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 189 Posts
I use this non-petroleum base WPL "Whistler Performance Labs" wet lube most of the year: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5063-5...ain-Lube-120ml

I've tried a bunch and this one has worked out well. I think folks often apply too much lube or apply to a dirty drivetrain and get goop build up. For my sturmey-archer hub gear bikes, I use synthetic 0W-20 in the hub (our car's tipple of choice so I always have some on hand) injected with a little syringe or oil can depending on the type of oil cap. Each hub gear seems happy, though all three hubs - the '53 four-speed, the '50 three-speed dynohub, and Mrs. Ged's '56 three-speed each have unique pawl ticking sounds.
Old 05-15-20, 10:31 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 176 Posts
I emailed privately with Francis, the creator of Chain-L. He used to be active on bikeforums. He won't give the formula away, of course, but he did describe it. If I remember right, it is similar to bar and chain oil but it also has a solvent to make it penetrate small spaces better. The solvent dries up leaving just the oil in the right places. He has some kind of advanced degree and knows what he's doing. He's been a bike person forever so he needs bike stuff to work well just as much as we do.
Thanks for the insight Tom. Wouldn't expect anything less from you, I always enjoy your posts.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Likes For mkeller234:
Old 05-15-20, 10:33 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
The OP's original question was about lubrication for freewheels but I'll chime in my 2¢ worth....

I don't intentionally ride in the rain and having lived in the southwest before moving to NorCal, I've been using dry chain lubes for over 45 years.

I've tried a lot of different brands. I'd been using White Lightning Clean Ride for a number of years. It drys to a whitish wax and dirt sort of drops off in flakes.

Several years ago, someone suggested Finish Line Dry Bike Lubricant. For chains, it's the best stuff I found so far. Not messy, doesn't pick up dirt and works smoothly. I paint it on my chains and FWs with a cheap acid brush so I don't waste a lot of it like what happens with direct application.

My 2¢ worth.

verktyg
I have used both. I am currently using the Finish line dry that you posted. I noticed I was getting a lot of crud in my chains, so I am hoping to nip that in the bud. Do you guys use stiff brushes on your chains to quickly remove debris?

I do ride in the rain sometimes. Not nearly as much as I used to, mostly just the unexpected rain now.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 05-15-20, 10:55 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I thought he had experimented with the solvent early on, but decided against using it in the final product. It pours the same as my bar/chain oil, as far as I can tell.

But whatever it has in it, I love the stuff. I rode the 760+ miles of Paris-Brest-Paris (including some rain) on one application, and even rode a bit more on it when I got back home. Any other lube that might have required me to stop and reapply every 100-200 miles would have lost my favor right away!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-15-20, 11:57 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts

I HATE this:

My 2¢ worth.

verktyg
Verktyg whenever you run out you should try the Rock N Roll gold lube for chains. It lubes and cleans at the same time. I've been close to posting it as a separate thread here as a hack. I even used it on a 30 year old Suntour chain and it cleaned right up. Lasts much longer than the white lightening stuff.

Also this is a chain lube thread now. 😂
Old 05-15-20, 01:05 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I HATE this:

verktyg
Yet, for the "real cyclist", one can simply get at tattoo.

Old 05-15-20, 04:23 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts

My 2¢ worth.

verktyg
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Verktyg whenever you run out you should try the Rock N Roll gold lube for chains. It lubes and cleans at the same time. I've been close to posting it as a separate thread here as a hack. I even used it on a 30 year old Suntour chain and it cleaned right up. Lasts much longer than the white lightening stuff.

Thanks guys for both the responses and for doing the dirty work of morphing this into a chain lube thread...

I looked into Finish Line Dry, but I was scared off by the proclamation that it lasts 100 miles. 100 miles! That is pathetic. Fricken Triflow in the 70s would go 1000 no problem. Is this 100 miles just an exaggeration to make people use more of it, or is it true?

I've been using LPS 3 for my Riv 'country bike', figuring it's more or less the same stuff as Boeshield, which has become the spray on wax lube du jour I guess. I find LPS3 works pretty nicely as a dry chain lube. Easy to apply, and lasts way way longer than melted paraffin dip.

The last couple years I have been using Rock N Roll for my road bikes. I like it. It's like an improved version of Tri Flow, more or less. Maybe I like it because of the familiarity.

I used to ride rain or shine in the winter, and switched to Finish Line wet for, I dunno, December through March or so. I don't really anymore the last couple years so I pretty much stick to dry. Anyhow I have tried Finish Line Wet for freewheels and cassette pawls, since i have some. It's OK, but I really do like Phil's a lot better for that. So much quieter.
Old 05-15-20, 04:43 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
I don't know anything about lubes, but when I read sticky oil it reminded me of STP oil additive. Has anyone tried it on bikes?
Old 05-15-20, 07:05 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt

I vote for rock n roll gold also.........have tried a bunch and always come back....reminds me I need to go to the LBS and buy some, I am low

Old 05-15-20, 07:36 PM
Sandstrom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 45 Posts
The ONLY and THE BEST VERSION!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrF_nM9pknU

PLAY VERY LOUD!!!

verktyg
Right On!
Old 08-17-22, 02:49 PM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
From the SDS for Phil's tenacious oil, the viscosity is 41 mm2/s @ 40°C (104°F)
So, it doesn't have high viscosity. It is quite sticky though and this comes from adding tackifers. Same with chainsaw oil.
Key is other additives that are used and that is not known. With a couple of ounces of oil and 25 to 30 dollars one can get an oil analysis done for further info.