Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 9-speed RD compatible with 34t and road shifters?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-20, 04:16 PM
coopr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm planning a change to my already-customized 2001 Specialized S-Works M4 cross bike and I'm trying to finalize my shopping list. I've done a lot of research online, and I'm most of the way confident that my changes will work - once I pick one of the correct RD options.

The drivetrain is mostly stock - Shimano Ultegra, with 2x cranks (large ring 50t), 9-speed cassette (12-27t), and Ultegra RD-6500 rear derailleur (short cage).

This bike came originally with drop bars, which I had converted to flat bars by using Shimano SL-R660 flat bar shifters.

This setup has been working great for years, but... well, I'm getting older, and the hills around my house aren't getting any less steep. Plus, my kids are nearly old enough to kick my butt on climbs, and I want to put that off a few more years

So, I need a lower low gear, and for that I need to make some changes - which I'm trying to minimize. I'm hoping I can change just the cassette, the rear derailleur, and the chain - sound good so far?
  • I'll change the rear cassette to a 9-speed 11-34t - probably Shimano XTR CS-M970 - right?
  • I'll change to a longer chain, just normal Shimano 9-speed chain - right?
  • I'll change the rear derailleur to... this is where I'm a little stuck - can I use brand new Shimano Ultegra RD-R8000-GS (medium cage), or is that an 11-speed-specific derailleur and I need 9-speed? Shimano 105 long cage? Which specific model numbers are compatible (and where might I find such a list)? And, is there such a thing as a "9-speed derailleur"?
Old 05-20-20, 04:26 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
A 9 speed shimano mountain bike RD will work.
Likes For Canker:
Old 05-20-20, 04:52 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
The RD8000 rear der is not compatible with your shifters. A 9-speed Shimano MTB rear derailleur works perfectly and is very common on touring bike and old farts like you and me who need better gearing.
Likes For Davet:
Old 05-20-20, 05:03 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,414 Times in 2,752 Posts
Yes. 9 speed mtb derailleur for your 34T cog. Neither the 105 nor the 11 speed RD will work. 9 speed from Deore on up will work for you. Same for your cassette. 9 speed XTR stuff is getting hard to find and would be inconsistent with the rest of your components. Would work but why do it?
Old 05-20-20, 05:08 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 875 Posts
You don't even have to use Deore quality, although I'm not going to fault YOUR choice.
My 8 speed Altus still shifted fine when I upgraded to 9 speed. I do use "road" (12/13-23/25) cassettes though which "might" help?
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-20-20, 05:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I wouldn't disagree. I can't keep up with all the names so just went with what I knew
Old 05-20-20, 05:29 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

To the OP: Any Shimano or SRAM 9-speed cassettes are compatible with your components.
Old 05-20-20, 05:51 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
My JtS came with 105, but kinda narrow in back for my riding, so I swapped it out for XT in back, and have had it on for nearly 20 years now. Works great!

Old 05-20-20, 05:58 PM
coopr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, thanks for your quick replies - I sure wish I could find a nice summary of which Shimano derailleurs have which features!

I think my rear derailleur options (I'm tending towards top-of-the-line, excluding lower-end models) are as follows:
  • Shimano Deore XT RD-M750-SGS
  • Shimano Deore XT RD-M760-SGS
  • Shimano Deore XT RD-M771 or RD-M772
  • Shimano Deore XTR RD-M952
  • Shimano Deore XTR RD-M970
  • Shimano Deore XTR RD-M972
(I know some of those are Rapid Rise / low-normal)

I'm found mixed messages on whether any of the following are compatible - some things I read say "Yes!" others say "No!":
  • Shimano 105 RD-5701-GS or RD-5700-GS 10-Speed Rear Derailleur
Old 05-20-20, 06:09 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

The two 105s will not work with your proposed 34T cog. I'm surprised any source says they will. You may have to take what you can find with the vintage derailleurs but I'm not fond of Rapid Rise or Shadow for this type of conversion. Good luck, you should be pleased with the result.
Old 05-20-20, 06:11 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Definitely do a MTB der for this configuration, XT is fine, just say no to rapid rise unless you really know you love it, because it shifts worse and is less reliable.
Old 05-20-20, 06:25 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Originally Posted by coopr
OK, thanks for your quick replies - I sure wish I could find a nice summary of which Shimano derailleurs have which features!

I think my rear derailleur options (I'm tending towards top-of-the-line, excluding lower-end models) are as follows:
  • Shimano Deore XT RD-M750-SGS
  • Shimano Deore XT RD-M760-SGS
  • Shimano Deore XT RD-M771 or RD-M772
  • Shimano Deore XTR RD-M952
  • Shimano Deore XTR RD-M970
  • Shimano Deore XTR RD-M972
(I know some of those are Rapid Rise / low-normal)

I'm found mixed messages on whether any of the following are compatible - some things I read say "Yes!" others say "No!":
  • Shimano 105 RD-5701-GS or RD-5700-GS 10-Speed Rear Derailleur
No To any RD-5700 or RD-5701 derailleur to run with a 34t cog. There are kludge work arounds but the results aren’t good.

Any Shimano 9-speed rear derailleur will work and do what you want it to do.

The rd 772 and rd 972 are Shadow derailleurs and while they will work fine they don’t have a cable adjuster on them so the bike must have a rear derailleur cable adjuster somewhere else in the system.

The derailleurs that have the ‘SGS’ designation are designed for more the chain take up for triples but they will work.

The ‘rapid rise, low normal’ will work but boy will their “backwards” shifting will make you nuts.

Last edited by Davet; 05-20-20 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-18-20, 12:01 PM
coopr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased and installed a 9-speed 11-34t Shimano XTR CS-M970 cassette - then I reinstalled my rear wheel and experimented with my current Ultegra RD-6500 rear derailleur (short cage) - I expected it to have trouble with the largest cogs, but was surprised to find it seems to work well!

I'd already bought an XTR long cage rear derailleur, but now I'm wondering if I really need it - do I? If my previous derailleur is working (even though the fine folks in this thread, and in some other places I've found, suggest it is not compatible) then what will I gain by changing derailleur?
Old 06-18-20, 03:30 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Okay, here is some food for thought. There are two parts to the story. The chain wrap and the derailleur hanger.

If you are running a 6500 2x, with a 50t the worst case if 12t difference, not a typical 20t spread with a triple. So you might be able to use a RD-6501 and it might work. A lot depends on the chain length and what things look like in the big-big, that is the real determining factor. I've heard people say certain things work when they shouldn't.

The other part is the derailleur hanger. The further down the attach point is from the drop out the larger the cog that can be run. The Wolf Tooth Road Link is built on this premise. If you have a generous derailleur hanger, then you can run your Ultegra RD with a 34t.

John
Old 06-18-20, 06:08 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Originally Posted by coopr
I purchased and installed a 9-speed 11-34t Shimano XTR CS-M970 cassette - then I reinstalled my rear wheel and experimented with my current Ultegra RD-6500 rear derailleur (short cage) - I expected it to have trouble with the largest cogs, but was surprised to find it seems to work well!

I'd already bought an XTR long cage rear derailleur, but now I'm wondering if I really need it - do I? If my previous derailleur is working (even though the fine folks in this thread, and in some other places I've found, suggest it is not compatible) then what will I gain by changing derailleur?
Your derailleur may be compatible....to a point. There’s going to be a couple, at least, gear combos that the derailleur can’t handle. Most likely the big/big combo. Yeah, you’ll say that you will never cross-chain like that but frequently you can forget in the ‘heat of battle’ and maybe ruin something.

You have the correct derailleur in hand, the XTR, why not use it and ride happy?
Old 06-18-20, 06:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Clicks in the shift lever, your RD has no 'speeds', per se,* just age ,, so 9 speed is not the latest stuff..

* cable pulls it moves inward..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-18-20 at 06:33 PM.