Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I don't want a pickle...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I don't want a pickle...

Old 05-30-20, 09:05 PM
MadKaw

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Course, 1993 Trek 8000, 2016 Diamondback Haanjo Comp, 2018 Marin B-17, 2018 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I don't want a pickle...

Just wanna ride my biiiii...cycle.
I've got the new bike blues bad. I've ordered 2 different bikes only to have both canceled because of Covid-19 business interruptions.
That's not the problem... I'm glad they were canceled because at least once a day the bike I want changes.
Now to a rational person, that might indicate that I'm not ready to buy a bike... Not helping...
Do I need another bike? Again, that depends on how rational I am supposed to be...
I have a great mountain bike, a great road bike and a darned good gravel cruncher.

This quest started off with me ordering a full-suspension ebike, then a hardtail ebike (to convert to an adventure bike). Then I started to look at acoustic adventure bikes. First wanted to get a Marin Pine Mountain... then a Jamis Dragonslayer. Now, for over 12 hours I've been jonesing for a Trek 1120.

So how long
Baby, how long
Have that evenin' train been gone?

Er... I mean how long should I think a bike is right before pulling the trigger (again) and ordering it?
Old 05-30-20, 10:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I do...I will take your pickles, especially while riding or after a long ride. Pickle juice is great and if I have the opportunity to drink some real pickle juice or eat some good pickles I will take it.

As far as bikes Sometimes you just go for it. My adventure bike build was semi planned out but getting a frame wasn't super intentional Specialized happened to be closing out some Sequoia Pro Modules and I said let's do it. If the streerer tube on my Klein was the correct length I probably wouldn't have gotten my Habanero Ti frame. If my friend hadn't gotten his single speed stolen I wouldn't have gotten the Proteus frame from him in exchange for a cheap single speed to prevent that frame from becoming a cheap single speed. Many of the other bikes were intentional and I thought about them for a while.

Generally for all bikes I build I usually will do a build sheet and marinate on it for a while unless I have the frame
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-30-20, 10:13 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I would also like a pickle, please
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 05-30-20, 10:30 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
You can have whatever you want...

Last edited by velojym; 05-31-20 at 06:37 PM. Reason: misquoted song
Likes For velojym:
Old 05-30-20, 10:39 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
I want to ride my bicycle

I want to ride my bike

I want to ride my bicycle

I want to ride it where I like.

I've made some boredom purchases. As far as full bikes go, I'm using all my strength to stop that one. My biggest motivating factor is; who knows when I will really be able to use it this year. And next year will always bring new models
Old 05-30-20, 11:52 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Go ride your bikes, you'll feel better. If you let it marinate for a while, you'll either realize that you're bored and just want that little hit of dopamine from buying something new, or that you really want a new bike and here's why. Either way, let us know!
Likes For Korina:
Old 05-31-20, 03:46 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
So I take it a tickle is out of the question, right?

Your bike order may not be the best decision you’ve ever made but you don’t have a lot of time.

Apologies to Arlo.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 05-31-20, 05:32 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you need

Likes For hillyman:
Old 05-31-20, 08:10 AM
Midou
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ohh yes
Old 05-31-20, 02:18 PM
MadKaw

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Course, 1993 Trek 8000, 2016 Diamondback Haanjo Comp, 2018 Marin B-17, 2018 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by velojym
You can get whatever you want...
You have not talked to my wife...
Old 05-31-20, 02:23 PM
MadKaw

Originally Posted by Korina
Go ride your bikes, you'll feel better. If you let it marinate for a while, you'll either realize that you're bored and just want that little hit of dopamine from buying something new, or that you really want a new bike and here's why. Either way, let us know!
Really good advice... even if not what I wanted to hear. But at least I have been doing just that. I've put more miles on my bikes this week than any week this year. And I have decided to buy a tail bag and maybe a handlebar bag and try a trek (small t) or two before deciding that I need a Trek.
Rationality comes sometimes slowly, sometimes unsurely, but now to think about switching the MTB to tubeless!
Likes For MadKaw:
Old 05-31-20, 02:31 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Tough wife. Well...