Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike computers are worthless. Change my mind.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-16-20, 05:00 AM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts

the only use for a garmin or wahoo would be a hard ride or race , as far as functions go , a 30 dollar android phone can do everything you need while cycling , and if strava brought back heart rate i might be tempted to pay and use my phone to record races .
i guess dedicated computers can be a bit more accurate with gps , maybe cyclocross or MTB races would be best recorded with a watch ( a few cx racers in the pros had those watches ) , some are kind of more compact than a phone , BUT compare a 30 to 200 phone to a 100 to 400 dollar cycling computer and over all the phone wins every time . reply with any reason to choose a gps computer over a phone .

RANT : i mean does the 400 dollar wahoo roam even have a sd card slot to store and load maps and routes , i personally bought a garmin 520 because ti was in my price range, i thought it would be great for nav and routes but this thing sucks the battery only lasts 8 hours and it cant even hold 100 MBs of map data , doesn't have official functionality for map loading , i have to make separate folders and swap out my map sections just to get a map on screen and there is still no real time navigation , it cant play music or do turn by turn as well as my phone can but on my 30 dollar phone i have a full gps for free , why do these gps computers even exist , it would be beyond easy to add an SD card slot and expand storage , ok rant over , i still feel i should have spent the 150 on a new phone dedicated to my bikes
Old 06-16-20, 05:07 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
the only use for a garmin or wahoo would be a hard ride or race , as far as functions go , a 30 dollar android phone can do everything you need while cycling , and if strava brought back heart rate i might be tempted to pay and use my phone to record races .
i guess dedicated computers can be a bit more accurate with gps , maybe cyclocross or MTB races would be best recorded with a watch ( a few cx racers in the pros had those watches ) , some are kind of more compact than a phone , BUT compare a 30 to 200 phone to a 100 to 400 dollar cycling computer and over all the phone wins every time . reply with any reason to choose a gps computer over a phone .

RANT : i mean does the 400 dollar wahoo roam even have a sd card slot to store and load maps and routes , i personally bought a garmin 520 because ti was in my price range, i thought it would be great for nav and routes but this thing sucks the battery only lasts 8 hours and it cant even hold 100 MBs of map data , doesn't have official functionality for map loading , i have to make separate folders and swap out my map sections just to get a map on screen and there is still no real time navigation , it cant play music or do turn by turn as well as my phone can but on my 30 dollar phone i have a full gps for free , why do these gps computers even exist , it would be beyond easy to add an SD card slot and expand storage , ok rant over , i still feel i should have spent the 150 on a new phone dedicated to my bikes
Tell me again, which phone not only allows 14 hours of screen-on-time...but will not suffer image permanence, AKA burn-in, from doing so?

Which phone will survive a bike crash on the handlebars, and not have a shattered digitizer?
Old 06-16-20, 05:25 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
My wife has no bike computer and leaves her phone at home when she rides.

So she doesn't even need your $30 android phone.

So what's your point?
Old 06-16-20, 05:31 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
What ever happened to using capital letters at the beginning of sentences to make reading your diatribe easier? You know what capital letters are, you actually use them in your in your paragraphs.

So lets change this up with a product you own. Carbon bikes are useless change my mind.

Who needs a carbon bike? You can do everything on your carbon bike that you can do on a Wally World BSO. blah blah blah, spew garbage etc etc.

Everyone one of us purchases products that suit us, not you, but us. I am not here to change your mind (well except for using capital letters in sentences). Buy what ever you want, but to come on a forum and tell us what you don't want is ludicrous.

For a few "change my mind" starter package, I will save you the grief and give you some.

Derailleurs are for wimps, change my mind.
No one needs disk brakes, change my mind.
Fatter tires, run faster, change my mind.
Brifters are overkill, downtube shifters rule, change my mind.
Why buy carbon, steel works fine, change my mind.
Aero bikes are useless for most people change my mind.
Old 06-16-20, 05:33 AM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
I’m not going to try and change your mind. If you don’t feel you need one then you don’t.
Old 06-16-20, 05:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,271 Times in 7,224 Posts
I am happy with my CatEye computer. When you are touring in the middle of nowhere with no phone reception for days and need to make sure you don't miss a turn, knowing how far you've ridden is important. It's also nice to know how far you have until camp and what time of day it is. And I don't need to charge it.

So...My bike computer is not worthless to me, and it's far more valuable than this thread.

Rant over.
Old 06-16-20, 05:35 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Bmach
I’m not going to try and change your mind. If you don’t feel you need one then you don’t.
+1. Maybe he is in dire need of attention. Or maybe he really wants one of them fancy gadgets but cannot afford one and is hurting inside.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-16-20, 05:58 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

Since Covid19 I don't use my phone or my garmin 520.

people just don't need to know where I am, where I am going, and where I've been.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 06-16-20, 06:24 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
A GPS would be more likely to survive being bumped off that freshly painted aluminum bike of yours. Just curious do you have a Trek 720 with a 920 rack?
Old 06-16-20, 06:31 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
You know what's really useless? Broccoli. I hate it.
Old 06-16-20, 06:36 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
A 30 dollar android phone runs out of battery on long rides, isn't visible in bright sunlight, is unusable for navigation in the rain with water registering as touches, and doesn't have water sources as points of interest for navigation.

A refurbished Garmin Edge 800 wins every time.

RANT : i mean does the 400 dollar wahoo roam even have a sd card slot to store and load maps and routes , i personally bought a garmin 520 because ti was in my price range, i thought it would be great for nav and routes but this thing sucks the battery only lasts 8 hours
Which is much longer than a phone running navigation software, especially with the screen turned on.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 06-16-20, 06:43 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
"Change your mind?" Well, there's always the Ludovico Techique.
(...although there is a small risk of recidivism.)
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 06-16-20, 06:44 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Don't really care if I convince you of anything but I like my GPS as a GPS. I travel all 48 states and have no clue wherever I pull my bike out of my truck good bike routes. My Garmin will give me several bike loops to consider for whatever distance I want to ride. Or routing to lakes, rivers, parks and places to eat. Then get me back to my truck. Phone and gps and I have a great time exploring.

Likes For hillyman:
Old 06-16-20, 06:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I've found that I do just fine with my phone and a small battery charger, and that my phones have survived multiple mishaps including getting hit by a car and just plain getting dropped on the road. I feel I have to carry my phone anyway for various reasons having little to do with bicycling, so I don't want to add another device.

I can't for the life of me imagine wanting to pick an argument with someone who likes and/or needs their GPS--I don't care what they think I need, and I have no idea what they do or do not need so why should they care about what I think on the subject?

This is like someone chose as a debate topic: "Resolved: Starkist is Superior to Chicken of the Sea."
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-16-20, 06:46 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I am happy with my CatEye computer. When you are touring in the middle of nowhere with no phone reception for days and need to make sure you don't miss a turn, knowing how far you've ridden is important. It's also nice to know how far you have until camp and what time of day it is. And I don't need to charge it.

So...My bike computer is not worthless to me, and it's far more valuable than this thread.

Rant over.
They make little GPS receivers I have one I keep in my Jeep for when there is no cell signal. It's pretty small, doesn't weigh much and has straps to attach it to your body if you so choose. Granted I probably wouldn't carry it on a race bike but for touring is just about perfect.
Old 06-16-20, 06:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
A 30 dollar android phone runs out of battery on long rides, isn't visible in bright sunlight, is unusable for navigation in the rain with water registering as touches, and doesn't have water sources as points of interest for navigation.
A refurbished Garmin Edge 800 wins every time.
Which is much longer than a phone running navigation software, especially with the screen turned on.
See, this is why this is such a stupid thread. Those are all really valid points, yet my workarounds suit me just fine. I'm sure you'd hate my workarounds, and I'd hate having to pay for an extra piece of equipment I don't really feel the need for.

I think it's great that we both have the gear we deem necessary.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-16-20, 06:59 AM
Bertrand Boxest

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
This is like someone chose as a debate topic: "Resolved: Starkist is Superior to Chicken of the Sea."
Likes For Bertrand Boxest:
Old 06-16-20, 07:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts

My GPS isnt meant to play music, thats why it doesnt play music.

I have a $150 Lezyne GPS and this is year 4 of using it.
- I use it every ride just to record total miles because I like to track that stat for the year. It holds something like 100 rides, so I can then upload when I want.
- On solo rides I like to look at my average speed, total climb, and distance ridden- these are easily recorded with the GPS unit.
- I use the navigation probably 3x per month. Not often, but its because even though I ride different routes most every time Im on my own, I know what links up with what.
- When I use the route function, I create a route then save it. The route goes to my GPS and I follow it thru written prompts and drawn line. Its dead simple. In the thousands of miles Ive ridden, I have not come across a need for an SD card or expanded storage.
- My phone stays in a jersey pocket. It does not have the battery life of my GPS unit and I can save the phone battery for when I want to use it.

Your situation seems to be much different than mine when it comes to GPS units. I would say that I have easily gotten my money's worth over these last 4 years.
Perhaps a GPS unit isnt for you. Not everyone wants a road bike, some instead need that 3 wheeled trike thing with a basket I used to ride around my grandma's community in Florida.
Old 06-16-20, 07:36 AM
roskobosko

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I like riding with my Apple Watch, change my mind
Likes For roskobosko:
Old 06-16-20, 07:37 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
No ANT+ on a smart phone, and that’s a deal breaker for a lot of my older sensors and HRMs.

Also the bike computer will work under more extreme temperatures and weather, as most smart phones will start to overheat and shutdown at around 95’F, which is easy to do if it is sitting in the sun on your handlebars on a hot day. The Garmin edge has an operating temperature of 140’F, which is way past mine. The same is true at the low temperature end as well where a smart phone ‘gives up’ around 32F while most bike computers operate at far lower temperatures.

Phones are just not made to sit out in difficult environments like on handlebars for a long period.

But to each his own I suppose.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 06-16-20, 07:52 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
Since Covid19 I don't use my phone or my garmin 520.

people just don't need to know where I am, where I am going, and where I've been.
Don't worry. All that facial recognition infrastructure tells us exactly where you've been. Mask or no mask.

Likes For FiftySix:
Old 06-16-20, 07:54 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Bertrand Boxest
Just ask any mermaid you happen to see.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-16-20, 08:01 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I'm very pleased with my Garmin 235 basic running watch. It's been with me for about the last 6000 miles. Speed, average speed, elevation, elevation gain, and it easily connects to an external heart rate monitor and cadence dongle which I use sparingly.

It has smart watch features but I disabled them, I find that pretty annoying.

I use it cross country skiing as well. My wife takes it running, so Strava thinks I am a runner.

The model I have would not connect to a power meter. It also doesn't have maps. Garmin and Suunto have options for that if you need it.

My handlebar is clean. I'm not inundated with data but it's easy to glance if I need it, fun to look at when I get home. I get 12 hours on full GPS mode. I usually leave my phone at home.

My only complaint is that when just using it as a watch, I frequently accidentally push buttons. Never happens on rides though. I've been wearing my Raymond Weil off the bike lately, kind of nice to go analog once in a while.

I did forget my watch the other day. I just turned on Strava on my phone and stuck it in my pocket. It worked great if you can handle no feedback until the ride is over.
Old 06-16-20, 08:06 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by roskobosko
I like riding with my Apple Watch, change my mind
I like riding with a Casio MRW200 analog dial quartz watch. The "display" is always ready and it's easy to read time at a glance. The battery runs the watch for over a year with no recharging needed. Super light on the wrist with day, date, and a rotating bezel useful for start or stop times. Only $20 lost if I destroy it, or it dies.

But that's just me. Avoiding Big Brother in a curmudgeonly way.
Old 06-16-20, 08:20 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

the 520 compared to the 500 has a FAIL battery life!

and Garmin really skimps on memory, I am sure it is intentional.

I used the Turn by Turn bread crumbs once on the 520, and I'll never do it again it was a day late and a dollar short. So I reverted back to the ride 3.6 miles turn L , ride 5.8 miles and turn right. cue sheets

I quit buying Garmin chest HR straps after the 4th one. Interesting enough the one that never got washed lasted the longest. So now I ride without a HR meter. $120 in HR straps... not worth it.

So I hear you!

I mean I can get an out front mounted non GPS Cateye for like $60, that is accurate as accurate as you measure your tires circumference. As for recording, a phone can do that with the screen off and it doesn't take much battery if you are not using the screen.

Garmin has some seriously lousy integrity and ethics as a business. its Always been about leaving the customers a dollar short, and wanting.... while they continue to roll out new models that continuously leave customers a dollar short. It's planned residual income. Cyclist are stupid enough to keep throwing Garmin moneythough. Of Course Garmin has one hell of a shill in their pocket pushing their products.

I am still Miffed that my 500 was fine one day, Garmin drops a 510 on the market, gives my 500 one last update, and it starts malfunctioning the very next ride. I erased it reinstalled all of the old software builds to no luck with any of them. Lesson learned if your electronic stuff works, DO NOT UPDATE!!!!!!
Likes For Metieval:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.