Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dutch bicycle company ad pulled from French TV

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-30-20, 11:11 AM
eyemkeith

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts

Just saw this story on Forbes. It's posted to my blog. (https://bykeithbrown.com/2020/06/30/...ing-the-truth/).

Apparently, French censors don't like people telling the truth about automobiles.
Old 06-30-20, 11:14 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Lots of people don't like to face Truth.

Some people even say there are no Truths. The amoral.
Old 06-30-20, 11:22 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Of course, someone else's medium (ie, TV, radio, billboards) are theirs. Up to them whether they choose Advertiser A or Advertiser B. I'm sure in this gone-bat-dung-insane, reactionary time, plenty of people are getting "butt hurt" over nonsensical things. To the point of spill-over into companies' entire demeanor and presentation. Some feel they've only got that sort of power over others, misplaced though it might be.

I hope Van Moof continues to create it's selling points, presentations, and continues to offer them up in every way they can. Modern "social" media being what it is, they'll probably get far more reach with the vids via Twitter, TikTok, FaceBook and all the rest, as compared to traditional television.

Good on them.

As I recall, Apple Computer's "1984" ad back in the 1980s was highly critical of things, along with its backhanded slap at the "Big Brother" culture, though it did garner lots of critical acclaim at the time. Bashing "big blue" was the thing to do, and Steve Jobs was business's golden child at the time. Can't imagine any media company ditching Apple's ads, back then. How times have changed, and not for the better. Every peon wants to get his/her knickers in a knot, then air that "laundry" (complaint); the only power they've got. What a world.
Old 06-30-20, 11:46 AM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
The future is actually electric cars powered by renewable energy sources. Autonomy will practically eliminate accidents between vehicles, as was cyclists and pedestrians.

Extremes are stupid, on both sides.