Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bent rim - Techniques?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bent rim - Techniques?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 09:58 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
Still a relevant post for someone else with the same issue, no?
I got my first Pringle yesterday doing something stupid and found this post very relevant. Thank you,
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 07-01-20, 08:35 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Assuming the rim joint is not in the affected area...

I use an English wood vise.

1. Two 1/4" inch thick and 1" inch wide vertical strips of wood on the inside - spread out.
2. A 1 x 2 x 3 block with a slightly curved press point placed on the clamping side of the vise.
3. I assemble inner blocks, rim and press block in the vise.
4. The vice itself acts as a press.
5. I stop when the rim is 1/8" past it's original line.

I use this method for tacos....and also for flat spots on box profile rims.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 07-01-20, 08:42 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

I got up this morning all set to tackle my bent rim and then remembered the old rim I took off last year and thought, "why not just swap the cogs?" A long story short, free wheels and free hubs are not the same species. I ended up sacrificing my taller gearing and got the bike road worthy again with the old rim and shorter gearing. I'll get back to that bent rim another day, the wind in my face was calling.
Old 07-05-20, 08:53 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
I've made another video since the one several years ago:

Then I made another video giving it an off-road test to see how well it would hold up for a "trashed wheel"

Likes For Le Mechanic:
Old 07-08-20, 06:13 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

My internet is really slow today. Keeps kicking me off. Anyway, I tackled my tacoed wheel and got it reasonably ironed out, but the cogs looked wobbly when I got it all back together. Something in there got bent too. I didn't realize how badly I mangled this thing. I took it for a test run and the bearings immediately came out of adjustment and got sloppier with each mile I rode. Got home and discovered the QR axle or housing or whatever the QR rod slides thru was also bent. So I removed the tire and tube and put it on another rim and put the bike back together with an old rim. Tuned it up and went on a 20+ mile test ride. Everything works good and it was a pleasure to ride. Got home and after pulling the QR rod out of the mangled rim for my parts bin, I threw all the rest in the dumpster. Good riddance. It sure didn't take much to cause so much damage. One blip of inattention. Bike doesn't have the overdrive gear that I liked with this setup, but it's still a joy to ride
Old 07-09-20, 12:33 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I've straightened out a tackoed rim in the field by pumping up the tire hard and then holding the wheel in front of me with my hands on either side of the wheel. I lift the wheel until it's horizontal and then give it a hard rap against a flat rock. That springs the rim back. I repeat doing that until the rim is very nearly true again.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-09-20, 02:55 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I've straightened out a tackoed rim in the field by pumping up the tire hard and then holding the wheel in front of me with my hands on either side of the wheel. I lift the wheel until it's horizontal and then give it a hard rap against a flat rock. That springs the rim back. I repeat doing that until the rim is very nearly true again.

Cheers
Old 07-09-20, 03:31 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by Bigbus
Why do you say that I'm a Troll? I gave a method I've used a few times to straighten a tacoed rim in the field with great success.

Cheers
Old 07-09-20, 06:24 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Why do you say that I'm a Troll? I gave a method I've used a few times to straighten a tacoed rim in the field with great success.

Cheers
Sorry, I didn't even realize that was a troll. I put him up there because it's how I envisioned you on the side of the road banging your wheel against a rock and thought it was hilarious. My bad.
Old 07-09-20, 06:34 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by Bigbus
Sorry, I didn't even realize that was a troll. I put him up there because it's how I envisioned you on the side of the road banging your wheel against a rock and thought it was hilarious. My bad.
Ah i see says the blind man when he dropped the hammer on his foot and saw.

Pretty funny when you put it that way. Thanks.

I should perhaps clarify too that its the hard inflated TIRE that hits the flat stone and not the rim.

People who have tackoed a rim and I've straightened like that are surprised at how straight that technique can get a wheel. I practiced with an old steel whee;l to learn how to do it.

Cheers