Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Glue or Tape?

Old 08-03-20, 03:22 AM
jetignacio

Bikes: Fausto Coppi and Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glue or Tape?

Hello,

I’ve just bought myself a slightly used Mavic GP4 rims since Im a clincher guy all my bike life. I haven’t tried using a tubular rim before and decided to buy one to know if I may be missing on something. I also learned that for the tire to stick on to the rims I have two options, either glue or tape. Now, I need to ask and know your experienced opinions as what’s better to use? TIA
Old 08-03-20, 04:46 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
The best thing is to drop them off at a shop and let them mount them. I have a set of tubulars in the corner that I used for 1 season of cyclocross. I probably won't use them again.
Old 08-03-20, 04:55 AM
jetignacio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
The best thing is to drop them off at a shop and let them mount them. I have a set of tubulars in the corner that I used for 1 season of cyclocross. I probably won't use them again.
Good suggestion. Any reason for the short usage?
Old 08-03-20, 07:37 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I use Tubasti.
Best thing to do is mount them yourself, so when you flat out on the road you know how to deal with it.
When I use Tubasti I can change a flat tire myself faster than someone can put a new tube in a clincher setup.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 08-03-20, 07:56 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
I use Tubasti.
Best thing to do is mount them yourself, so when you flat out on the road you know how to deal with it.
When I use Tubasti I can change a flat tire myself faster than someone can put a new tube in a clincher setup.
That’s what I‘ve always used, and I’d tend to agree that you want to know how to deal with this on the road!

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 08-03-20 at 09:06 AM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 08-03-20, 07:58 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I've used both tape and glue neither have let me down.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 08-03-20, 08:10 AM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
I use tape. I've been using tape for 20 years now. I will say the Tufo tape really holds and does make it difficult to change. No rolling the tire with the thumbs. it takes a good 15 minutes if not more. I recently got some Jantex(?) tape, but haven't had to change a tire yet so I don't if there's any difference.
One of the glues is insanely not user friendly. I forget which one. I got ahold of it once and I think that's what pushed me to tape.
Likes For mackgoo:
Old 08-03-20, 09:00 AM
jetignacio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mackgoo
I use tape. I've been using tape for 20 years now. I will say the Tufo tape really holds and does make it difficult to change. No rolling the tire with the thumbs. it takes a good 15 minutes if not more. I recently got some Jantex(?) tape, but haven't had to change a tire yet so I don't if there's any difference.
One of the glues is insanely not user friendly. I forget which one. I got ahold of it once and I think that's what pushed me to tape.
Thanks for the tip. As a newbie in tubulars I think I’ll try first using tape.
Old 08-03-20, 09:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
glue though messier and a more time consuming job to do is sticking better..

tape is certainly more convenient IDK if mounting a spare tire on the road will stick as well as the fresh tape & original tire bonding..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-03-20, 07:22 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
I use Tufo tape. It glues the tire so well that it is difficult to get the tire off. For this reason I have bought Effetto Mariposa Carogna tape. I haven’t had to use it, but heard it makes removing the tire less difficult than the Tufo tape.
Likes For hrdknox1:
Old 08-03-20, 07:51 PM
jetignacio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hrdknox1
I use Tufo tape. It glues the tire so well that it is difficult to get the tire off. For this reason I have bought Effetto Mariposa Carogna tape. I haven’t had to use it, but heard it makes removing the tire less difficult than the Tufo tape.
Thanks I’ll note that.
Old 08-03-20, 11:11 PM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I've been using Tufo tape for years with both Tufo and Continental brand tires - haven't tried it with any other brands. It holds the tires on so tightly that it's nearly impossible to get them off - that's why I carry and use a sealant (Flat Attack brand for me) if I flat, which is rare. I am a recreational rider though - so I don't mind the extra weight if a tire ends up with sealant in it.
Likes For tcarl: