Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Funny pictures that made you say DAHELL?? (NO POLITICS, VIDS OR GIFS PLEASE)

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Funny pictures that made you say DAHELL?? (NO POLITICS, VIDS OR GIFS PLEASE)

Old 08-05-20, 10:41 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,408 Times in 1,040 Posts
Dude could totally get away with charging $2. Hipster food truck prices are insane. Used be be people would buy food from a truck because it was cheap. Now everbody who's ever watched Chopped or Cutthroat Kitchen is joining the army of 'hated my job as a lawyer and threw it all away for my passion', and are charging sit-down-restaurant prices for no-rent costs.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 08-05-20, 10:52 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4112 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
Dude could totally get away with charging $2. Hipster food truck prices are insane. Used be be people would buy food from a truck because it was cheap. Now everbody who's ever watched Chopped or Cutthroat Kitchen is joining the army of 'hated my job as a lawyer and threw it all away for my passion', and are charging sit-down-restaurant prices for no-rent costs.
They did become lawyers for a reason, and it mostly wasn't their passion for justice.
Old 08-05-20, 11:48 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 10703 Post(s)
Liked 2,727 Times in 1,872 Posts
While indeed not all food trucks are the same, I have noticed a proliferation of more gourmet food trucks... "hipster food trucks" as you put it, that tend to show up near brew pubs and tech campuses... and clearly are delivering food of a higher caliber. Their mobile location gives them the advantage of being "that sit down restaurant" you did not have to go to, but came to you, right where you wanted to be... ie the brew pub or tech campus.

That grilled cheese trailer ought to pair up with a gourmet fries trailer, (garlic fries, sweet potato fries, et, al.) and go to brew/pub events... (the drinks are there)
Old 08-05-20, 12:00 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by genec View Post
While indeed not all food trucks are the same, I have noticed a proliferation of more gourmet food trucks... "hipster food trucks" as you put it, that tend to show up near brew pubs and tech campuses... and clearly are delivering food of a higher caliber. Their mobile location gives them the advantage of being "that sit down restaurant" you did not have to go to, but came to you, right where you wanted to be... ie the brew pub or tech campus.
Fair enough, but they're charging restaurant prices when they don't have the overhead costs of a restaurant: monthly rent forever vs a monthly payment on a truck for 3-5 years; electric/water utilities vs a few gallons of gas; a full staff of cooks, dishwashers, waitstaff, hostess, vs 1-2 people who do everything and are probably co-owners rather than just employees
Old 08-05-20, 12:04 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 326 Posts
Originally Posted by chewybrian View Post
I didn't get my bread.
Likes For skijor:
Old 08-05-20, 12:19 PM
genec
genec

Fair enough, but they're charging restaurant prices when they don't have the overhead costs of a restaurant: monthly rent forever vs a monthly payment on a truck for 3-5 years; electric/water utilities vs a few gallons of gas; a full staff of cooks, dishwashers, waitstaff, hostess, vs 1-2 people who do everything and are probably co-owners rather than just employees
I won't disagree that the overhead of a restaurant is quite a bit higher... I just tend to find that I prefer the locations of where the food truck is, rather than making the restaurant the destination... And I am willing to pay a bit of a premium to eat where I want to be, vice be where I have to be to eat.

And on a related side note... Those food trucks are quite a bit more expensive to own and operate than you might be aware of... but indeed, vastly less than a restaurant location. I bet that grilled cheese trailer takes "nothing" to run. (propane and a battery).
Old 08-05-20, 01:05 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I am too cheap to ever be willing to pay a bit of a premium
Old 08-05-20, 02:18 PM
genec
genec

Ever go to Green Flash or Coronado Brewing or Societe Brewing... sitting there having a nice fresh brew, then suddenly you decide that some garlic fries would taste great. Only now you have to jump on your bike, ride down the road, and find some garlic fries... which isn't at your local fast food place.

Wouldn't it have been worth it to have a truck with garlic fries, hot and fresh, right at the moment? Or fish tacos... whatever?
Old 08-05-20, 02:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 832 Posts
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-05-20, 04:51 PM
TankSlapper
Omphaloskeptic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 32 Posts
The other side is pretty good as well...
Likes For TankSlapper:
Old 08-05-20, 05:14 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

lol
This window is for me to thousand yard stare out of everytime someone tells me they "like my idea" but that I could make "more money" if I charged $2 or $3. Yes Carol, I know how money works.
He got me! (but why does he think my name is Carol?)

((Shirley he's joking))
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 08-05-20, 05:16 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Ever go to Green Flash or Coronado Brewing or Societe Brewing... sitting there having a nice fresh brew, then suddenly you decide that some garlic fries would taste great. Only now you have to jump on your bike, ride down the road, and find some garlic fries... which isn't at your local fast food place.

Wouldn't it have been worth it to have a truck with garlic fries, hot and fresh, right at the moment? Or fish tacos... whatever?
Evidently I have much better impulse control than you.

I have been to Second Chance for beer after work, looked at the food truck prices, said no way. I've been to Mike Hess in North Park, bought a small dinner for the family from the food truck outside, but only because Mike's my buddy and the night was a fundraiser for juvenile cancer.
Old 08-05-20, 05:42 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2543 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,319 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
The dummy isn't wearing. his mask correctly!
Old 08-06-20, 06:51 AM
Kat12

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
Me too. I don't know that I want to "pay a bit of a premium" to eat with plastic cutlery sitting on the ground/hood of my car/nearest hopefully-clean picnic table/whatever. Trying to find a place to sit among a flock of other people who are obsessed about food trucks.

Assuming that the truck you want happens to be parked in the location you want. I can't say I want to be running around town chasing after a truck and trying to figure out what location it's at today and hoping it's actually there when I arrive. I know where a restaurant is and can plan accordingly. Or just go to a bar that serves garlic fries in the first place and not have to worry about it.
Likes For Kat12:
Old 08-06-20, 07:41 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
Me too. I don't know that I want to "pay a bit of a premium" to eat with plastic cutlery sitting on the ground/hood of my car/nearest hopefully-clean picnic table/whatever. Trying to find a place to sit among a flock of other people who are obsessed about food trucks.

Assuming that the truck you want happens to be parked in the location you want. I can't say I want to be running around town chasing after a truck and trying to figure out what location it's at today and hoping it's actually there when I arrive. I know where a restaurant is and can plan accordingly. Or just go to a bar that serves garlic fries in the first place and not have to worry about it.
All true of course. But more likely, you might be at a particular location, and the smell of whatever they are cooking entices you to wander over and check out the menu, and since they are located where you ALREADY ARE, the convenience prompts to purchase the garlic fries, or taco, or what ever tasty item is on the menu board.

Now regarding restaurants... indeed there are some with outstanding views, impressive interiors and tasty delights available... but of course you have to leave where you are, find new parking, perhaps have a reservation (likely) and yes, pay that same inflated price, all for the comfort of eating where "they" are. So, convenience of something where you are verses well... the whole scene of "going" to a restaurant. (Of course one may never be able to "sell" the wife or girlfriend on the whole notion of "going out" to a food truck... "Honey, happy anniversary, look Tico's Taco Truck... " )

Last year we were in Naples Florida at a nice restaurant for our 35th anniversary... and ordered a very nice bottle of Champaign... all evening long the restaurant kept serving us with amazing little amuse bouche dishes above and beyond our ordered meal. That honestly would not have been the same event at a food truck.

There is a time and place for both food trucks and fine restaurant dining... and I am willing to pay a bit more for the convenience of the former, and the setting/service/situation of the latter. Otherwise, I save money and just eat at home.

Now what I do find terribly annoying, is going to a fine restaurant, and being rushed through the dinner so they can seat someone else.
Old 08-06-20, 05:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-07-20, 03:31 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 490 Posts
Old 08-07-20, 04:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Old 08-08-20, 07:34 AM
ahsposo 
Major Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 5437 Post(s)
Liked 2,776 Times in 1,639 Posts

https://www.thefarside.com/
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 08-08-20, 11:20 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 793 Posts
Yeah, the days of the traditional American Roach Coach seem to be behind us. Around here there are tons of trailers and food trucks that still spoon out south of the border food in poor and working class areas. Mostly parked at a low end off brand convenience stores.

Now the high end or trendy trucks? I've eaten at a couple in downtown environments. Maybe the ingredients cost more, but the food I've had sure wasn't that special. Seems like the theme of the truck/trailer and its arty graphics was what I was paying for. Graphic designers aren't cheap, even if the art looks non-commercial.

My stepson worked at a trendy organic and locally owned juice shop in a gentrified part of Houston while in high school. Then he moved to Austin, Texas to set up a van for the same juice shop people in a special parking lot for trendy food trucks on Burnet Rd. He'd also work at the local farmers market peddling those high end expensive ingredient juices. The van had to be licensed by the city and the van had to pay rent for the spot it was parked on Burnet Rd.

When I had work in Austin, I'd visit him and we'd eat at one of the other food trucks as I needed a meal for lunch and not an $8.00 six ounce cup of juice. Expensive arty graphics on all the trucks/trailers, with food about 1.5 times better than fast food for double the money. I know many people loved that food, I'd rather eat at home though.

The good thing is, he doesn't sell that juice anymore.
Old 08-08-20, 04:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Old 08-09-20, 08:04 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 326 Posts
Likes For skijor:
Old 08-09-20, 05:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Old 08-09-20, 06:58 PM
Redhatter

Bikes: Dahon fold-up, '12 Giant Talon 29 ER 0, '16 Giant Toughroad SLR1.

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Serves them right for tailgaiting.
Old 08-09-20, 08:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Likes For fietsbob:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.