Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

MTB Pedal with road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

MTB Pedal with road bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-20, 09:37 AM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
MTB Pedal with road bike

I've been using Frogs on my road bike for years. Easy recessed cleat to walk in, and tons of float to accommodate my knees.

Alas, Wahoo has discontinued the line since buying out Speedplay. My pedals are fine, but sourcing cleats is nearly impossible at this point so as they wear down, I will have to change systems.

Wondering if anyone has some thoughts about a similar to Frog floaty pedal I can switch to? Really sorry that this product will be gone.

Thanks...
Old 10-27-20, 10:37 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Never used Frogs but my Time Attacks are pretty floaty.
Likes For Canker:
Old 10-27-20, 11:09 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Plenty of float with my SPD pedals, walkable shoes, and the cleats pretty much never wear out since they're metal and recessed.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 10-27-20, 12:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Almost all the long distance riders around here use MTB shoes and SPD pedals. It's standard. Sidi Dominators dominate. As noted above, the cleats and pedals don't seem to wear, even after 50,000+ miles. That said, I have worn out the bearings on a couple sets of SPDs, bought better ones. For a roadier appearance and great durability, I like the Shimano PD-A600. Really easy to clip into, almost as easy as double-sided, and good foot support.
Old 10-27-20, 12:16 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
For a roadier appearance and great durability, I like the Shimano PD-A600. Really easy to clip into, almost as easy as double-sided, and good foot support.
I am using the Ultegra-level ES-600 version of those pedals. They are great!
Old 10-27-20, 02:01 PM
Kotek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Using Shimano PD-A600 since one year without any issues. I'm a MTB Time pedals fan but A600 are great for road biking.
Old 10-27-20, 04:41 PM
nesdog

Originally Posted by Kotek
Using Shimano PD-A600 since one year without any issues. I'm a MTB Time pedals fan but A600 are great for road biking.
Did opting for a single sided pedal cause any kind of issue for you, being used to doubles? What Time product do you like?
Old 10-27-20, 08:55 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
Did opting for a single sided pedal cause any kind of issue for you, being used to doubles? What Time product do you like?
My favorite pedals for my road bike ...for what it's worth...

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-PD-M9...3853516&sr=8-5
Old 10-27-20, 10:04 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Another vote for Time ATAC pedals. They give 17 degrees float, not as much as Frogs but I find that it is more than enough. I'm hoping to try some of their new single sided Gravel Pedals that use the same cleats but offer a larger platform.
Old 10-27-20, 10:14 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I see Kotek hasn't answered, but I'm in the same group. I have double sided on our tandem and on two of my road bikes. On the 3rd, the one I use the most, I have the A600s. My wife has a set of very light single-sided SPD Wellgo road pedals where the pedal surface is not much larger than the clip mechanism. The newer Wellgo pedals are different and maybe better, but maybe not.

I got used to the A600 pedals very quickly. They are weighted so as to hang in the same position. It's quick to put a toe under, flip it up, and clip in. I no longer have to look and I almost never miss. My wife's road pedals are a total PITA. I have to look and most of the time I miss my clip. Looking at others, I think my A600s clip in more reliably than Looks. Or maybe I just ride a lot.
Old 10-27-20, 11:59 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
I've got Ultegra pedals with Giro ACC's and love the combo. Enough float for a boat but still solidly clipped in. Don't want anything remotely off road on my road bike. Rather have a dedicated Gravel or MTB.
Old 10-28-20, 06:35 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10959 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
I have single sided SPDs on 3 bikes- it certainly doesnt affect me when riding. 97% of the time I clip in as my foot touches the pedal on the initial turn. A few times a season, I ride a handful of feet before I clip in because I have to flip the pedal and Im in traffic so I just ride first.
I have A600 and A520 pedals. The A600 arent made anymore, but the replacement is the same except for a small shape change on the back of each pedal- its the ES600.
Old 10-28-20, 09:55 AM
Kotek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry for late replay- different time zone and was at work whole day.
I'm using Time Atac XS since years now in MTB , but choose Shimano due to weight, price and more "road looking"
First few clipping with Shimano wasn't easy as clipping side is turned down when not used - You have to flip pedal up. But after few times clipping is very intuitive. Great support and stability .
Even I'm not a Shimano pedals fan in MTB I have to say that A600 are the best option for road bike if You don't want to use road shoes and pedals.
Old 10-28-20, 09:58 AM
RadDog
Banned.

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Almost all the long distance riders around here use MTB shoes and SPD pedals. It's standard. Sidi Dominators dominate. As noted above, the cleats and pedals don't seem to wear, even after 50,000+ miles. That said, I have worn out the bearings on a couple sets of SPDs, bought better ones. For a roadier appearance and great durability, I like the Shimano PD-A600. Really easy to clip into, almost as easy as double-sided, and good foot support.
Very, very interesting. To be honest, I never even thought of SPD's/MTB peddle/shoe on my road bike....isn't there a considerable weight difference?
Old 10-28-20, 11:35 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by RadDog
Very, very interesting. To be honest, I never even thought of SPD's/MTB peddle/shoe on my road bike....isn't there a considerable weight difference?
You'd have to evaluate the particular combinations in which you are interested and compare with what you're currently using, and see if that weight increase would be worth it for the added convenience and comfort. If you're road racing, certainly not. For sport riding, events, and gravel, certainly yes IMO. For sure MTB shoes are slightly heavier due to the sole.
Old 10-28-20, 02:18 PM
Kotek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RadDog
Weight of Northwave Razer ( MTB shoes ) which I'm using on road bike is around 365 grams( one shoe ) ,comparing to road shoes ,for example Sidi Genius 7 with 316 grams per shoe we don't have huge, noticeable difference. Of course there are very light road shoes like Giro Imperial with 220 grams per shoe, but shoes like Giro are not my story if I'm looking for comfort and versatility.
Shimano PD-A600 weigh at 290 grams /pair and comparing to , for example again, Look Keo Blade Carbon Ceramic Ti with weigh at 260 grams/pair Shimano's doesn't seems to be heavy ( but are much cheaper for sure ).
Anyway , its hard to say which set ( mtb or road shoes/pedals ) are " One And Only" as it's very depends of personal expectations.
Old 10-28-20, 02:30 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I started using Eggbeaters for my commuter bike, they are easy to engage from a stoplight and the shoes/cleats allow you to walk into the office without looking goofy .... well, goofier.

After a while, I just standardized on Crank Bros on all bikes so I can ride any bike with any pair of shoes. I have Eggbeaters on my road bikes and gravel bike; the fatbike has MalletE; and a couple city bikes have platforms.

The way I use bikes, I have a hard time thinking of a reason for proper road pedals/shoes ... I roughly half my rides include a stop where walking around is required (shopping, restaurant, tap room, coffee shop ... )
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-28-20, 04:22 PM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I've tried a few - Time ATAC are the closest; the Time gravel pedal is a nicer version but one sided. Speedplay road are great too. Eggbeaters (IIRC) engagement/disengagement sucks as it is not defined.
Old 10-28-20, 08:58 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Shimano MTB pedals are what you recommend when somebody ask for a pedal that DOESN'T have much float.

I'm still running 2 pairs of old as dirt time atac aliums on my MTBs because they are indestructible and on my road/gravel bike I'm running XC4s I think, they were cheap.
Old 10-29-20, 08:03 AM
nesdog

Thanks for all of the responses! This has been helpful.

So far, I'm considering the Shimano ES600 and the Time MX8 pedals. These have caught my eye so far, although I'm not seeing all raves for the MX8....maybe the MX6's?

Last edited by nesdog; 10-29-20 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-29-20, 08:20 AM
nesdog

Originally Posted by Canker
Shimano MTB pedals are what you recommend when somebody ask for a pedal that DOESN'T have much float.

I'm still running 2 pairs of old as dirt time atac aliums on my MTBs because they are indestructible and on my road/gravel bike I'm running XC4s I think, they were cheap.
Can you expand on the notion that the Shimano's don't have that much float? It's one of my hot button items for this purchase.
Old 10-29-20, 09:14 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Eggbeaters are a love/hate pedal (I love them) and they are great for float (one of the things I like). Do know that most shoes work great with Eggbeaters, but some shoes will require shims or the pedals may need additional sleeves to make the correct contact.

https://www.crankbrothers.com/blogs/...-release-angle
Old 10-29-20, 09:36 AM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Thanks for all of the responses! This has been helpful.

So far, I'm considering the Shimano ES600 and the Time MX8 pedals. These have caught my eye so far, although I'm not seeing all raves for the MX8....maybe the MX6's?
Most people I know use the XC series rather than the MX. I have original ATACs, XC6, and XC8 and they all work well. I've had a couple of bails break on the original ATACs but other than a lost dust cap my XC pedals have been flawless, including one pair of XC8 that have 20,000+ miles on them.
Can you expand on the notion that the Shimano's don't have that much float? It's one of my hot button items for this purchase.
IIRC SPD cleats have 4 degrees of float. ATAC have 10, 13 or 17 degrees, depending on which cleat and which direction you install them.
Old 10-29-20, 09:44 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Most people I know use the XC series rather than the MX. I have original ATACs, XC6, and XC8 and they all work well. I've had a couple of bails break on the original ATACs but other than a lost dust cap my XC pedals have been flawless, including one pair of XC8 that have 20,000+ miles on them.

IIRC SPD cleats have 4 degrees of float. ATAC have 10, 13 or 17 degrees, depending on which cleat and which direction you install them.
The normal Shimano SH51 cleats have 4 degrees of float and the multi-release SH56 cleats have 6 degrees.
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 10-29-20, 09:47 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
I picked up a couple of pairs of the Shimano PD-M520 - white, double-sided, sort of discreet. Here I thought I was being all smart for using MTB pedals on my old Ironman.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.