Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Beautiful Cars

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Beautiful Cars

Old 11-19-20, 11:37 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4112 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
No one is buying sedans, much less coupes. There's really no market for lower "cars" anymore- all the manufacturers are building SUV's, which are the replacements for the station wagons of yore.
That's why I always liked the Mercedes CLS since it came out, imo only the rear end is really pretty, but it's made to look low and sleek. I hoped that turned the trend, but it didn't really. It's not just that SUV's are ugly usually, they make a city uglier by blocking views when parked too. And on the road you can't look through them or look over them or look down on them when on a bike. Even if you don't care about cars or you're on the wrong side of the opinion divider, a city full of Lamborghini Espada's would be much nicer than a city full of SUV's.
Likes For Stadjer:
Old 11-19-20, 01:37 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 385 Posts
I always liked this 1976 MB 250. Drove it all around Germany and NL from 1986-90 with my family of five, with a few trips to Paris, as well as Salzburg and London. Only reason I bought it was my wife insisted on an automatic and this was the only one I could find in 1986. It did ride nicely and reliably. I also had a 1976 BMW 525 for a short time which looked good but was one mechanical problem after another and I got rid of it quickly for a German Spec Corolla which ran like a top on the street and Autobahn.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 11-19-20, 09:46 PM
pullings

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
1996 1st-year Viper GTS......is one of those rare car designs that will never age.
It is an American's car. No BS, bold, proud, and beautiful. The GTS is the closest America ever got to realizing auto-art perfection of Germany's legendary Mercedes gullwing. :-)
I bought this one two years ago.

Last edited by pullings; 11-19-20 at 09:57 PM.
Likes For pullings:
Old 11-20-20, 10:48 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 116 Posts
Likes For cat0020:
Old 11-20-20, 01:16 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

A

few blasts from the past:
Old 11-21-20, 10:00 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Likes For cat0020:
Old 11-21-20, 08:57 PM
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Fondriest Racing, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 522 Posts
Sold the 82 this year and the 73 five years ago. Still miss the white car.

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche. “An argument based reasoned fact, beats one based on emotional rantings every time” Anon

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-23-20, 02:35 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer View Post
TIt's not just that SUV's are ugly usually, they make a city uglier by blocking views when parked too. And on the road you can't look through them or look over them or look down on them when on a bike.
I'm so happy to finally hear someone else saying this. I'm constantly complaining to my wife that the biggest issue with SUV's is the visibility. On the highway you can't see anything up ahead in the road, which makes driving more dangerous and less efficient. It's a real problem, and I would be in favor of banning SUV's from the left lane on highways. Then, as you said, while parked they block lines of sight and make everything feel crowded. Even in some suburban neighborhoods, you have 3 or 4 SUV's in a driveway, and it transforms the look and feel of the area completely. But this is Amerika, right? Everything is a free-for-all...
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 11-28-20, 09:08 AM
botty kayer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer View Post
Actually, it's the only example of a 70's British shooting brake, the one that kept the myth alive. Besides this car it was more something coachbuilders did to only a few Jaguar XJS and maybe some Aston Martin, I guess because coach builders had to do something in the age of monocoques. I always liked it, on this side of the North Sea I spotted a few and one was in my neighbourhood for a while, loved the wheels and the V6 sounds great. The Lancia Beta HPE must have been the only other shooting brake in production.

Liked that very much too. A friend had one but didn't like it all because of it beeing a typical 80's Lancia. Maybe this picture shows why shooting brakes were so rare:

Shooting brakes seem difficult to proportion right. In the picture above it looks like a sleak, low and long car, in the same colour it also looks like just another hatchback for the family that couldn't afford four doors. The (only?) shooting brake from the sixties was a bit of an opinion divider too.

I like it, but because it's got character, not because it's pretty from every angle. This is quite a good angle, from some other angles it just doesn't seem right. I tend to like cars that are unusually proportioned like the Espada (also an opinion divider, but I absolutely love it) and the Lancia is nice because of a lot of things besides it's basic shape, but the Reliant Scimitar seems the only one that really got the shooting brake shape down.
Nice, I like the Volvo and Lancia too, and saw a good example of the Lancia here in London this week.

And although describing it as a beautiful car is a stretch, in fact Austin Allegro and beautiful car may never ever have been uttered in the same sentence until now.....but it's a 2 door sport estate, and does have a nicely upturned rear window. Would you not consider this a British 70's shooting brake?. I agree the sport credentials may be lacking but it had a badge on the back saying 'sport' so it must be true

And this week my favourite car was this humble Saab, still a nice looking car.

Last edited by botty kayer; 11-28-20 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-28-20, 09:38 AM
EJ123
djentleman

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
One day I hope to own this modern art masterpiece the S7, sigh. Timeless, sleek, California branded.

Old 11-28-20, 09:51 AM
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Fondriest Racing, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 522 Posts
Always been partial to the 308s. Probably because I was in high school when they were new.

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche. “An argument based reasoned fact, beats one based on emotional rantings every time” Anon

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-28-20, 10:01 AM
zurgalay

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
as for me, my bike is always better than any car
Likes For zurgalay:
Old 11-28-20, 02:35 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4112 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer View Post
Nice, I like the Volvo and Lancia too, and saw a good example of the Lancia here in London this week.

And although describing it as a beautiful car is a stretch, in fact Austin Allegro and beautiful car may never ever have been uttered in the same sentence until now.....but it's a 2 door sport estate, and does have a nicely upturned rear window. Would you not consider this a British 70's shooting brake?. I agree the sport credentials may be lacking but it had a badge on the back saying 'sport' so it must be true
I believe the idea of a shooting brake was that you could drive a coupe but still take your guns for hunting. If you see someone putting guns in an Allegro it's probably a good idea to call the police. I'm surely one of the very few but I believe the original 4 door Allegro was cute. I have a soft spot for these compact family cars of the 70's and 80's when it's basic shape was dictated by it's lay out and interior space requirements, but had a distinctive exterior design philosophy that was often well executed (not like with many modern cars that the side view seems to be designed by a different office than than the front and rear). The Fiat Ritmo for example, also not a head turner but before the face lift is was just good clean distinctive design. There's of course also the Golf I, the Alfasud, Citroen BX, Lancia Delta, Alfa 33 and they were all better looking than the Allegro, but the Allegro didn't look like anything but the Allegro and that can't be said from all of his competitors of that time.
And this week my favourite car was this humble Saab, still a nice looking car.
Yes, lovely car. It's got so much shape it doesn't really matter what happened to the hood. Speaking about Saab, isn't the 99 'combi coupé' not another non-British 70/80's shooting brake? It didn't say 'sport' on the back, but it got the turbo first.

Originally Posted by robertorolfo View Post
I'm so happy to finally hear someone else saying this. I'm constantly complaining to my wife that the biggest issue with SUV's is the visibility. On the highway you can't see anything up ahead in the road, which makes driving more dangerous and less efficient. It's a real problem, and I would be in favor of banning SUV's from the left lane on highways. Then, as you said, while parked they block lines of sight and make everything feel crowded. Even in some suburban neighborhoods, you have 3 or 4 SUV's in a driveway, and it transforms the look and feel of the area completely. But this is Amerika, right? Everything is a free-for-all...
I'm afraid it's not just America, at least there it is on scale with the infrastructure. Here the city centre is medieval, it's car low and the really big American pick up trucks avoid it, but the Cayennes, Range Rovers, X5's and all their copycats fit in the sense that they don't get stuck, but don't fit at all in every other way at all. You can argue cars are alien to the city anyway, with SUV's you can sense it from a distance. But the car that annoys me most is the Mini Countryman, because it's huge. It pretends to be a Mini and tries to look small, but it's always much further away than you anticipated. Everything looks shrunken next to it. I'm tall, I ride upright on a tall bike, the buildings are tall and suddenly a Mini blocks my view and most of the daylight.
Likes For Stadjer:
Old 11-29-20, 02:45 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Last edited by cat0020; 11-29-20 at 04:45 PM.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 12-03-20, 12:03 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

On a Porsche kick these days.

Likes For cat0020:
Old 12-09-20, 05:29 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Likes For cat0020:
Old 12-10-20, 09:41 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020 View Post

Family forum Mister! Reported!
Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 12-10-20, 11:55 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 43 Posts
beautiful

Originally Posted by pullings View Post
1996 1st-year Viper GTS......is one of those rare car designs that will never age.
It is an American's car. No BS, bold, proud, and beautiful. The GTS is the closest America ever got to realizing auto-art perfection of Germany's legendary Mercedes gullwing. :-)
I bought this one two years ago.
beautiful , but I don't think I can buy one, Its like saying ,, give me a speeding ticket
Old 12-11-20, 04:11 AM
ropetwitch

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
A

few blasts from the past:
Vintage cars are super classical and the apple of my eye Thank you sooooo much for sharing!
They are so beautiful
Old 12-11-20, 11:37 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 221 Posts
Stanguellini Colibri Speed Record Car 1963

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 12-12-20, 03:09 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Good article for those who love cars:
My Life in Cars - I lucked into the romance of driving at its fervent peak

​​​​​​​
Old 12-13-20, 11:49 PM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 109 Posts
Though that I'm not a total Ford fanatic, this four wheel drive Mustang is fun to watch, especially when it does the streets of London.

Old 12-14-20, 09:37 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 383 Posts
A friend from the neighborhood dog park has these two:
Holden SS

Looks like a rental car. But then you notice the huge brake rotors, coil-overs...

Caddy CTS-V Wagon.

Looks like a total Grandpa family truckster. Often seen with a roof rack for bikes, skis, kayaks/SUP. It has a trailer hitch.

Both cars have LS engines with giant super chargers. The owner told me they are both "well north of 700 horses" and "eat M5's and **** them out all day".

Total sleepers.
Old 12-14-20, 11:45 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce View Post

Caddy CTS-V Wagon.

Looks like a total Grandpa family truckster. Often seen with a roof rack for bikes, skis, kayaks/SUP. It has a trailer hitch.

Both cars have LS engines with giant super chargers. The owner told me they are both "well north of 700 horses" and "eat M5's and **** them out all day".

Total sleepers.
I followed a CTS-V Wagon up I-5 a couple months ago. I was just about past it when I noticed a couple Grateful Dead stickers on the back bumper.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..

Last edited by Jeff Wills; 12-21-20 at 10:52 PM.
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 12-21-20, 04:58 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 140 Posts

It's a '66

Last edited by Zinger; 12-21-20 at 05:30 AM.
Likes For Zinger:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.