Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-21, 08:38 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 1,845 Times in 1,054 Posts
Wearing a team jersey is fine... same as wearing a football/basketball/baseball/hockey/soccer etc jersey from the team you support. I don't think anyone sees me wearing one of my retro team kits and thinks I am pretending to be something I am not. Put another way, no one sees my upper-middle aged butt clad in lycra and says "Does that guy thinks he is Eddy Merckx?".

Our sport needs more fans.

That said... my dad once said to me "No grown man should wear another man's name on his back". So, I bought him a NY Rangers jersey because at the time, one of their captains had the same last name as us...
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 01-02-21, 08:55 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 1,845 Times in 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
ME!!

The horror, a seatpost that puts the saddle where my knees need it. LOL!

Honestly though, if other manufacturers could keep current stock on their silver seatposts maybe there wouldn't be so many setback Thomsen's out there. I've never had a problem getting a Thomsen when I needed it and at a decent price. Can't say that for anyone else. Not counting Kalloy of course, LOL!
Originally Posted by iab
x2

Honestly, at the time, there was no other 30.6 silver with setback.
ps. The bar tape has changed to less ugly.

Cinelli XCR with Super Record 001 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Both of those bikes are viciously cool and absolute stunners. Honestly, they are two of my all time favorites.

BUT....

Both would look so much better with normal setback posts, IMO. Plenty of options out there: Nitto, Ritchey, Deda, Soma, Velo Orange, Paul, Miche.... Loads more
Old 01-02-21, 09:03 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Wearing a team jersey is fine... same as wearing a football/basketball/baseball/hockey/soccer etc jersey from the team you support. I don't think anyone sees me wearing one of my retro team kits and thinks I am pretending to be something I am not. Put another way, no one sees my upper-middle aged butt clad in lycra and says "Does that guy thinks he is Eddy Merckx?".
Right!!

I'm always hunting down kit stuff to match the color schemes on my bike just 'cause. Not trying to be anybody but me but also not caring what anyone thinks, LOL!

Old 01-02-21, 09:26 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
My daughter has the nice bike (Raleigh Team Professional) but not the right jersey. I will need to work on that for her.

That's a nice looking bike! Extra points for the cable housing colors (I'm a sucker for that stuff).

I got my vintage jerseys back in the early days of ebay, when things seemed to be either cheaper or easier to find. It's been a while since I've looked, so maybe there is still enough available? I think I paid $40 or so for most of them. My guess is that there's not a lot of skinny guys who still want the stuff.
There are modern reproductions, such as this TI-Raleigh/McGregor jersey from Steel Vintage Bikes. It's more expensive, 130 Euros, but that's not out of line for a lot of modern wool jerseys....
https://steel-vintage.com/ti-raleigh-merino-wool-jersey

It does look like a fairly good copy of a vintage one that I've got....

There were some reproductions of early lycra jerseys too. I thought I had seen someone selling a similar one, but can't dig it up right now. This one was purchased 15(?) years ago, and it's the one I wear most often. The wool blend jerseys are just too much for me when it is 80F or warmer.

Personally... I'm intrigued at the differences between the old wool or wool blend jerseys and the modern merino jerseys. The old jerseys were itchy, like The Creator intended wool to be, but it wears pretty well. The wool/poly blend jerseys are slightly less itchy and less likely to be ravished by moths, and I think these are my favorites. I haven't owned the modern merino jerseys, but I hear they are more comfortable, and perhaps are more fragile?? Maybe someone can comment on this?

Anyway... vintage jerseys are fun, especially the authentic ones. Like the Eroica rides, they remind us of what life was like back then, itchy jerseys and all.

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-02-21, 10:13 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
That's a nice looking bike! Extra points for the cable housing colors (I'm a sucker for that stuff).

I got my vintage jerseys back in the early days of ebay, when things seemed to be either cheaper or easier to find. It's been a while since I've looked, so maybe there is still enough available? I think I paid $40 or so for most of them. My guess is that there's not a lot of skinny guys who still want the stuff.
There are modern reproductions, such as this TI-Raleigh/McGregor jersey from Steel Vintage Bikes. It's more expensive, 130 Euros, but that's not out of line for a lot of modern wool jerseys....
https://steel-vintage.com/ti-raleigh-merino-wool-jersey

It does look like a fairly good copy of a vintage one that I've got....

There were some reproductions of early lycra jerseys too. I thought I had seen someone selling a similar one, but can't dig it up right now. This one was purchased 15(?) years ago, and it's the one I wear most often. The wool blend jerseys are just too much for me when it is 80F or warmer.

Personally... I'm intrigued at the differences between the old wool or wool blend jerseys and the modern merino jerseys. The old jerseys were itchy, like The Creator intended wool to be, but it wears pretty well. The wool/poly blend jerseys are slightly less itchy and less likely to be ravished by moths, and I think these are my favorites. I haven't owned the modern merino jerseys, but I hear they are more comfortable, and perhaps are more fragile?? Maybe someone can comment on this?

Anyway... vintage jerseys are fun, especially the authentic ones. Like the Eroica rides, they remind us of what life was like back then, itchy jerseys and all.

Steve in Peoria
I've got some "modern" merino wool pieces I bought around 10 years ago. The only issue is the Minus 33 baselayer has a couple of small holes in it that I think are wear from the HR Strap. Everything else is as new. I wear this stuff a lot too. Can't stand old wool but the merino stuff is great.
Old 01-02-21, 10:44 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac

I could just as easily reset these to look normal for pics but then we would miss out on all this witty banter.
That's true. You have to keep it interesting.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-02-21, 11:36 AM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by philpeugeot
For me, it has to be when people turn perfectly useable multispeed bikes into F I X I E S. And I'm not talking about bikes that have stamped dropouts and no braze-ons, I'm talking about bikes that have forged dropouts, cable guides, and shifter bosses. The person clearly had the money to buy a bike, so why not get a frame that was meant to be used as a single-speed? It's made even worse these hipsters file away the derailleur mount for no reason. A few days ago I came across a C&V frame, I think a Trek touring model, on Craigslist, and the knob had removed everything useful that would have made it desirable. It really boils my blood to see this happen.
Oh NO! Look what I did to my 1990 Ritchey Ultra. Check out the forged derailleur mount - I gave you a close-up.
It's currently set-up with a White Industries eccentric hub and freewheel but I also have another set of White Industry wheels for it with - a fixed gear cog. Of the nine bikes I currently own, this is the one I've held onto the longest. I have no need for the Shimano XT shifters and derailluers and have never missed them.

Likes For Biketiger:
Old 01-02-21, 12:02 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketiger
Oh NO! Look what I did to my 1990 Ritchey Ultra. Check out the forged derailleur mount - I gave you a close-up.
It's currently set-up with a White Industries eccentric hub and freewheel but I also have another set of White Industry wheels for it with - a fixed gear cog. Of the nine bikes I currently own, this is the one I've held onto the longest. I have no need for the Shimano XT shifters and derailluers and have never missed them.

What I'm seeing is a frame that might be too small. AND, wait for it............................possibly a bent fork.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-02-21, 01:02 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by th0m
This might be controversial for some older guys, but bars higher than or level with the saddle just looks terrible on a road bike and bugs me to no end. Doesn't matter how nice the bike is, if the bars are not at least a few centimeters below the saddle, it's going to be ugly.
Au contraire my dear friend! When I see bikes with the saddle jutting into outer space, I assume either the bike is not ridden, or the owner will suffer for the supposed racy look his peers have made him feel compelled to imitate. I think the classic saddle level with the bars represents the "proper" styling and stance of a purposeful bicycle. The good news is this setup will carry you well into retirement years.

Old 01-02-21, 01:37 PM
Het Volk

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
Au contraire my dear friend! When I see bikes with the saddle jutting into outer space, I assume either the bike is not ridden, or the owner will suffer for the supposed racy look his peers have made him feel compelled to imitate. I think the classic saddle level with the bars represents the "proper" styling and stance of a purposeful bicycle. The good news is this setup will carry you well into retirement years.

When I see a saddle level with the handlebars, I always ask myself why they stick with drop bars at that point. The entire point of drop bars is to allow for multiple positions riding, with two of them on the intent of being aero. But when you are not aero when even riding in the drops, what is the point?

I always look at these bikes and assume they are country tourers by dudes in knickers and a flat cap.

Also - when I see hoods star gazing as those above are, I want to try to understand why anyone thinks that looks correct?

Last edited by Het Volk; 01-02-21 at 01:42 PM.
Likes For Het Volk:
Old 01-02-21, 01:40 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Both would look so much better with normal setback posts, IMO. Plenty of options out there: Nitto, Ritchey, Deda, Soma, Velo Orange, Paul, Miche.... Loads more
Perhaps. But wouldn't be the weight weenie of Thomson.
Likes For iab:
Old 01-02-21, 02:10 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk
When I see a saddle level with the handlebars, I always ask myself why they stick with drop bars at that point. The entire point of drop bars is to allow for multiple positions riding, with two of them on the intent of being aero. But when you are not aero when even riding in the drops, what is the point?
I was thinking the same thing for a while, but in being at my LBS far too often the last two or three years, I’m seeing most of the fully modern bikes owned by local racers that all have their “compact drops” less than two inches below saddle and the tape on the drops appears significantly less used than the hoods or tops.

I’ve joked with a couple of them “are the drops just vestigial at this point?” They respond seriously “yeah, pretty much.”
Likes For hsuBM:
Old 01-02-21, 04:40 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Some say drop bars are an illusion for most.
Old 01-02-21, 05:56 PM
Het Volk

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Some say drop bars are an illusion for most.
I think some of more aggressive race positions make the drops less comfortable for casual riding, but when doing a long, extended effort over flat and descending, I am most comfortable in the drops. When climbing, I prefer the hoods and tops.
Old 01-02-21, 06:27 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 227 Posts
I always look at these bikes and assume they are country tourers by dudes in knickers and a flat cap.

I own and wear plenty of flat caps but only occasionally wear knickers. "Country Tourer" is an apt description although I tend to refer to myself and my mostly senior citizen cohorts as "Adventure Riders". Its really hard to take life too seriously

riding a three speed "Robin Hood"
Old 01-02-21, 06:30 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Guess another thing that bugs me is people critical of others’ positions on their bikes that are clearly ridden often and long!

I’d love to be around when those of you critical of drop bars close to saddle height reach the age when: 1) you are no longer as flexible, and 2) you’ve lost considerable height. But at 71, I’ll just continue to enjoy my riding any way that is comfortable.

FWIW, I definitely use all the available positions on my drop bars, including the drops when riding into the wind and down long descents, same as I always have.

This was comfortable at 42YO (about 3” drop from saddle to bar) when I was 6’ 1.5” tall:

This is comfortable now (2cm drop) at 6’ 0”, and thankfully I don’t suffer from back problems, unlike several who enjoy this forum. BTW, that comfort includes about 2° of nose up on leather saddles, determined through extensive experimentation.

Last edited by Dfrost; 01-02-21 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-02-21, 06:40 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Any time one feels compelled to critique bike fit over the internet aimed at a person you not only have never met, but have actually never seen, consider what it sounds like on the receiving end.

"Hi. I don't know you and have never seen you before, but your bicycle setup doesn't look like it would be comfortable for me. I mean, that's not even close to how I see them set up in pictures online, or in the pro racing peloton. From what I think I know about you, I'd say your bike is too big/small, and you are using the wrong handlebars/saddle/cranks. I know you didn't ask, but I just had to say something."

Totally rational, right?
Old 01-02-21, 06:57 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
I'm guessing the flip flop reference hit home.
Well done.
Old 01-02-21, 07:04 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Appears it already has.
So, you already feel superior, but want everyone to know it.
Not superior at all asere.

i am short, old, slightly overweight and slow.

I have seven coronary stents, calcified coronary arteries, diabetes and asthma.

I am far, far from superior. But I can still ride my bikes,up and down the local hills, under my own power; I will be darned if I start riding a battery-powered bike thing.

If that makes me superior, then maybe I am.

Gracias compadre.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 01-02-21, 07:19 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
The tops of my bars are about 2" below my saddle, I've tinkered with lower, but it just doesn't work for me, nothing goes wrong in particular, its just not what I want. I'm sure as I age the bars will come up more too.

I did recently have my first proper bike fit, buy a PT that is a bike geek himself, as he was checking me out on the bike he assumed I had gotten a bike fit previously, but I just went with what felt good to me. He commented that my bars were up a bit compared to what he expected, but that given the longer distances I like to ride, they were right where he though they should be. He also told me about one of his co workers, a young kid with slammed bars, WAY below his seat, he talked the kid into raising his bars some, and despite the kid now being less aero, he was actually faster with the higher bars. I feel that with my bars dropped too far the lower half of my lungs can't work to their full capacity, maybe thats what was happening with this kid as well...
Old 01-02-21, 07:45 PM
notthe1freeman
Bike Bum Extrordinare

Bikes: 1990s specialized hard rock ultra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
The tire size debate in mtb'ing. I still ride 26's. Perhaps I am behind the times.
Likes For notthe1freeman:
Old 01-02-21, 07:49 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Not superior at all asere.

i am short, old, slightly overweight and slow.

I have seven coronary stents, calcified coronary arteries, diabetes and asthma.

I am far, far from superior. But I can still ride my bikes,up and down the local hills, under my own power; I will be darned if I start riding a battery-powered bike thing.

If that makes me superior, then maybe I am.

Gracias compadre.
I know people in worse shape than you who ride e-bikes so they can be with the people they care about while they are riding. Perhaps they should ride 10 paces behind with their head hung low, or wear a scarlet “e.”

I was born 2 lbs 11oz, I have had a heart attack, a stroke, been shot twice, stabbed once, was told I’d never run. I fell off a roof in April. I don’t get into belt buckle contests, but you win if you want to. If it comes to riding an e-bike up hills next to my ex-pro racing friend (on his), I will.

Climbing Thunder Ridge, we were comparing HR monitor readings. Mine was averaging 204, so I told the other riders, should I die on the climb, turn the damn thing off and fix my face into a smile, do it will show I was enjoying my life. People were climbing past me on e-bikes. Good for them. At least they are out there,and since they ride e-bikes, they tend to obey traffic laws and actually might convince motorists that some cyclists actually do.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 01-02-21, 07:51 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts

Look at this lot. Country tourers, all. They must have left their knickers in the team car.

thanks to https://classiclightweights.net for the picture

Last edited by C9H13N; 01-02-21 at 07:54 PM.
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 01-02-21, 08:20 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I know people in worse shape than you who ride e-bikes so they can be with the people they care about while they are riding. Perhaps they should ride 10 paces behind with their head hung low, or wear a scarlet “e.”

I was born 2 lbs 11oz, I have had a heart attack, a stroke, been shot twice, stabbed once, was told I’d never run. I fell off a roof in April. I don’t get into belt buckle contests, but you win if you want to. If it comes to riding an e-bike up hills next to my ex-pro racing friend (on his), I will.

Climbing Thunder Ridge, we were comparing HR monitor readings. Mine was averaging 204, so I told the other riders, should I die on the climb, turn the damn thing off and fix my face into a smile, do it will show I was enjoying my life. People were climbing past me on e-bikes. Good for them. At least they are out there,and since they ride e-bikes, they tend to obey traffic laws and actually might convince motorists that some cyclists actually do.
Fine, you win. You had a horrible, horrible life. You are superior in every possible way. You win asere, pat yourself on the back and give yourself a pretty, shiny gold star.

One of my New Year’s resolution is not to engage in endless, useless and pointless diatribes with people like you.

Enjoy your superior life.
Old 01-02-21, 08:25 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
It appears that the act of expressing what bike stuff one is bugged by -- that doesn't bother others -- is pissing others off. Weird. Stop pissing. Save it for a sister thread: "What about your cycling bothers others and you wish others would just Bug off?

Last edited by Classtime; 01-02-21 at 08:38 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.