Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Old 01-10-21, 10:15 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Nope.
Or perhaps Corn?

Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 01-10-21, 10:20 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,272 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
No experience, but I have a hard time believing that I'd want to ride a tire with "Hard Case" in the name. Does it refer to puncture protection? Wear longevity? I wouldn't want either of those to be the main selling point of my tires.

In general, Bontrager road tires seem to be decent, from the reviews I've seen, but it's a matter or priorities.
I believe the “Hard Case” refers to the nylon strip used under the tread for puncture resistance. My stock tires are R1 Hard Case tires which is Trek’s entry level road tire. It is not hard or harsh riding at all.

There are only a couple of reviews online for the R3, but they don’t give much in the way of comparison info.
Old 01-10-21, 10:21 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Another sunny and chilly ride in the books.
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-10-21, 10:24 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28441 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Guys from TN can't recognize a magnolia when they see one?
See post #1041
Originally Posted by kissTheApex
Or perhaps Corn?

Attempted triggering.
Old 01-10-21, 10:24 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by whyfi
guys from tn can't recognize a magnolia when they see one?
😜😂
Old 01-10-21, 10:25 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
I knew which one Daisy was, before reading She looks quite the dame indeed. How tall is she?As I mentioned some time ago, I’d love to have a Kangal at some point, but with my urban 0.13 acres (with a house on it), I’d worry it’s too little space for a Kangal
Originally Posted by zatopek

My four best friends, affectionately referred to as “pigs”. This is the only time I have caught them all four on the dog couch at the same time. The two pigs in the middle, Kobe and Cooper, were the primary destroyers of that previously fine piece of furniture. Those two were adopted together as puppies. Along with Maggie, my adopted female Rottweiler mix who died 3 years ago, they systematically disassembled a number of pieces of furniture. That’s Magoo on the left. He was already old when I adopted him. He was blind from birth as his optic nerves never formed. I believe he may be the Methuselah of dogs. On the right is the grand dame, big Daisy, 3.5 year old Kangal Shepherd I adopted 2.5 years ago. She was abandoned, made her way through a rescue to a kennel in Virginia. When she joined the pack, she tried to kill me and the other 3 pigs. Now, she is the biggest, sweetest, most delightful, gentle giant you ever met. She even goes to school with me some days and kids having a bad day often stop by my office or classroom to rub Daisy’s belly for some “therapy”. My pigs have given more than I can ever repay.
Old 01-10-21, 10:27 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,190 Posts
So, this year past I lateralled to a new position @ my job. Tool man or Tool room, Tool, lol, whatever, Lots less running and moving. Lots of sitting and ordering, organizing etc.
However, lots of freedom to go get breakfast, or lunch...you get the picture.
Couple that with some end of season depression. Extra beers at whatever dinner spot I happen to decide on and before you know it.. 255 lbs. It happened fast too. 2 months? Maybe 3 .
So here we go again. Dieting.
The goal is lofty, 200 lbs. I would really like to see it this season, but, as long as my weight is in decline I will accept it.
I'm going to wait a week or so and try and retake that ftp test.. I think something wasn't right. Calibration, maybe. I couldn't get the wattage to hit the expected target in the front end of the test. There is a 3 second or so lag in reporting. That makes it difficult to steady things out. As soon as I would get close. It would ask for a different setting.
The last 20 minute portion I held 210 watt average or better. So I don't understand where it came in at 160watts average at the end. That thing killed my legs.
Old 01-10-21, 10:33 AM
ls01
he said member

[QUOTE=Mojo31;21871218]I believe the “Hard Case” refers to the nylon strip used under the tread for puncture resistance. My stock tires are R1 Hard Case tires which is Trek’s entry level road tire. It is not hard or harsh riding at all.

There are only a couple of reviews online for the R3, but they don’t give much in the way of comparisondisappointment.

Get 5000's. Bontrager tires suck. I am constantly trying to find tires that work as well as Continental grand prix 4000 or the new 5000. Some Vittorias are close but you give up flat protection. I've tried Bontragers, big disappointment.

Edit: something weird happened to the quoted portion of this message.
Old 01-10-21, 10:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
It is not hard or harsh riding at all.
The $50 question is: compared to what? My previous bike was a Domane, so I know that the IsoSpeed can cover some tire sins, but a good tire will still shine through in terms of suppleness, grip, rolling, etc. With the right tires, that bike shouldn't be "not hard or harsh," but an absolute magic carpet ride.

That said, everyone is going to have slightly different experiences, priorities and set-up. You might get a relative idea of a tires virtues, but the only way to know for sure is to buy them yourself. The Conti are a known quantity, the Bontrager less so. But the good news is that they're only tires. If they're only okay, you can get your money's worth out of them in a few thousand miles. If they're really not your thing, you can buy some others and keep them around as spares or sell them.
Old 01-10-21, 10:34 AM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
Daisy, aka Big Pig, is 31” at the shoulder, 118 pounds when last at the vet. She is at the upper end of the size range for female Kangals. I have a big (1/3 acre) fenced yard. Still, Daisy gets 3 to 4 mile walks/runs a few times each week. You might be surprised how much of a couch potato a Kangal can be. She seems most happy lying on the back deck, watching and protecting her yard. As an example, in the soy bean field behind my yard this morning, about 15 buzzards and vultures thought they would dine on some animal corpse. That was until Daisy saw them. She will not allow buzzards anywhere near the yard and even chases after them, barking, when they cruise over. It’s hilarious. The other dogs look at her as if she is crazy. Suffice to say, Kangals are extremely effective watch dogs.

Originally Posted by kissTheApex
I knew which one Daisy was, before reading She looks quite the dame indeed. How tall is she?As I mentioned some time ago, I’d love to have a Kangal at some point, but with my urban 0.13 acres (with a house on it), I’d worry it’s too little space for a Kangal
Likes For zatopek:
Old 01-10-21, 10:37 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,417 Posts
Not to be that guy, but you must have posted the wrong picture.
Who are you kidding, you will never NOT be 'that guy'.
Old 01-10-21, 10:39 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
See post #1041
Well, then, FIFY -

That looks like a palm tree palm fronds.
Old 01-10-21, 10:39 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
RIP Washington.
They put up a good scrap for a 2020 NFC East team.

Last edited by LAJ; 01-12-21 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-10-21, 10:46 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,600 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
You knows what’s awesome? Getting all suited up: Bibs, leg warmers, tights, socks, shoes, booties, base layer, jersey, vest, wind breaker, hat, face mask, and helmet to have nature call you to the bathroom.
I once went deer hunting in mid November with a friend in Montana. We had to get in place at about 3:30 and wait for the deer to come down from the hills just before dusk. The high the day wa 20 degrees. I was wearing undies, polypropylene tights, two pair of woolen longjohns, and woolen bib overalls. And I had to pee. Brought new meaning to the term 'Fly Fishing'.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-10-21, 10:55 AM
Mojo31
-------

Speaking of, I’ve often wondered what people do when they have to pee mid-ride. On country roads there are always places, and in urban areas there are as well. On the other hand, we have a 10 mile out and back MUP that gets a lot of cyclists. While wooded, there is really no place to hop off that offers privacy from other riders. And in this day you don’t want to be accused of exposing yourself. Not sure what you would do out there if you really had to go.
Old 01-10-21, 11:02 AM
Mojo31
-------

Time for our friends in the north to ditch the snow blowers and get the new tech -

Old 01-10-21, 11:10 AM
ls01
he said member

Time for our friends in the north to ditch the snow blowers and get the new tech -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPWMluZdB4M
All fun and games till you set your house on fire, or your car.
Old 01-10-21, 11:14 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by ls01
All fun and games till you set your house on fire, or your car.
Its just like everything else, have to have someone hold your beer so you don’t do something stupid.
Old 01-10-21, 11:18 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Speaking of, I’ve often wondered what people do when they have to pee mid-ride. On country roads there are always places, and in urban areas there are as well. On the other hand, we have a 10 mile out and back MUP that gets a lot of cyclists. While wooded, there is really no place to hop off that offers privacy from other riders. And in this day you don’t want to be accused of exposing yourself. Not sure what you would do out there if you really had to go.
With proper hydration practices it's quite rare to need to go during a 75-minite ride. And I have a small bladder. SMH.
Old 01-10-21, 11:21 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Moron Mechanic Move of the Day:

I decided to fix my slack chain problem by replacing the partly worn chain. I have done this job many times.

Of course I messed it up and the chain is on the OUTSIDE of the tab between the two jockey wheels.

I am running 6700 Shimano chains with those stupid one-time hollow pins, so I don't really want to sacrifice another one. How easy/hard is it to disassemble the RD cage to fix this? If that's not too hard I would rather do this and keep the chain intact. If that's a bigger PITA I suppose I can find a break-off pin from another new chain I have on the pegboard.

Advice?
Old 01-10-21, 11:29 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by berner
The topic is baseball. It's not the season but I'm not a fan anyway of any professional sport. But as a boy of 10 y.o. no sound was sweeter than the crack of a bat hitting a baseball. I grew up in a rural community 65 miles north of NYC. On a certain day in Spring when we neigborhood boys knew baseball was in the air. I would walk across a field, cross over a stone wall, and their were the boys. There were only about seven of us, never enough to make full team, our bases were flat stones, we had only one bat and the ball had long since lost the leather cover and was wrapped in friction tape.

Five or six years later in high school our baseball coach, also English teacher, in summer played third base for a Brooklyn Dodger farm team. We learned some pro tactics such as obfuscating signals. For example, the signal for a hit and run might have been a tug at an earlobe. But in the pro ranks that signal was buried in a flurry of other signals and was valid, if and only if, it was preceded by some other signal such as the ever popular crotch grab.

Once or twice during the summer, the Dodgers would send up to the small nearby city of Newburgh, their second string for some more playing time. There was usually one or two players from the first string in the lineup which was great because it was free to watch. Most boys I knew were Yankee fans because they always won and my beloved Brooklyn bums were the opposite. It was easy to be a Yankee fan but to be a Dodger fan was a character building experience.

One year our coach, through his connection to the Dodgers, got tickets for our entire high school team to a Dodger game at the hallowed ground of Ebbets Field. And there they were, my heros; Peewee Reese, Duke Snyder, Preacher Roe and all the rest. Our seats were the best to be had, first tier behind home plate. I was proud that my team was the first to hire African Americans for their statting lineup. Jackie Robinson had been a track star in California and a fine player but a dangerous base runner because of his speed. He could rattle pitchers. Roy Campanella has probably been underrated. He batted over 300 and had been playing in the old Negro League and plus near year round in the Dominican Republic or Puerto Rico, or Mexico or Japan and took a cut in pay by going to the majors.

I'm currently "The Boys of Summer" by Roger Kahn who in those very early days was a sports writer for the old NY Herald Tribune. In those days reporters were assigned to a team and traveled with them and as a consequence became friends with the players and knew the inside gossip. I'm enjoying this book even if I'm not a baseball fan. And by the way, I can also recommend a biography of Tim Wakefield, a knuckle ball pitcher for Boston for most of his career.
My dad was a rabid Dodgers fan, and once took me and my brother to a Dodgers games at Ebbets field. The Polo Grounds where the baseball Giants played was closer so we went there a few times. I became a Yankees fan because that's where my little league coach took us. It was walking distance, as was the Polo Grounds, from where I grew up.

I currently don't live too far from Newburgh, I wonder where they played, I can only think of one semi-suitable location for a pro team.
Old 01-10-21, 11:46 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by datlas
^^^^
Relatable content
Old 01-10-21, 11:51 AM
BillyD
Administrator

And, an hour west at my brothers lake house.
Do they still have sections out there where the speed limit is 80?
Old 01-10-21, 11:54 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by datlas

I decided to fix my slack chain problem by replacing the partly worn chain. I have done this job many times.

Of course I messed it up and the chain is on the OUTSIDE of the tab between the two jockey wheels.

I am running 6700 Shimano chains with those stupid one-time hollow pins, so I don't really want to sacrifice another one. How easy/hard is it to disassemble the RD cage to fix this? If that's not too hard I would rather do this and keep the chain intact. If that's a bigger PITA I suppose I can find a break-off pin from another new chain I have on the pegboard.

Advice?
Buy a pack of quick links.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-10-21, 11:55 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
Buy a pack of quick links.
You must be new here.
Likes For LAJ:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.