Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Funny pictures that made you say DAHELL?? (NO POLITICS, VIDS OR GIFS PLEASE)

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Funny pictures that made you say DAHELL?? (NO POLITICS, VIDS OR GIFS PLEASE)

Old 01-08-21, 06:30 PM
Redhatter

Bikes: Dahon fold-up, '12 Giant Talon 29 ER 0, '16 Giant Toughroad SLR1.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 50 Posts

Bubble of dish-washing detergent resting in a bubble bubble formed by the detergent.
Yes, stuck at home in Brisbane's 3-day lock-down… so I'm seeing things I normally wouldn't notice!
Old 01-08-21, 08:08 PM
Redhatter

Via Slack at work…

(For the non-Australians… "Woolworths" is one of many supermarket chains… and the local branches have been crazy with COVID-induced panic buying once again.)
Old 01-08-21, 08:50 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Redhatter View Post
Via Slack at work…

(For the non-Australians… "Woolworths" is one of many supermarket chains… and the local branches have been crazy with COVID-induced panic buying once again.)
You guys still have Woolworth’s?! Woolworth died out here in the early 90’s when they first recreated themselves as Woolco, but disappeared into their Kinney Shoes Stores and rebranded themselves as Footlocker Shoe Store.
Old 01-08-21, 09:26 PM
Redhatter

Originally Posted by elcraft View Post
You guys still have Woolworth’s?! Woolworth died out here in the early 90’s when they first recreated themselves as Woolco, but disappeared into their Kinney Shoes Stores and rebranded themselves as Footlocker Shoe Store.
https://goo.gl/maps/QEXWtWw92QwANJPN6

It's possible that there's two companies with the same name. I think Woolies did team up with some mob in the US, out of that we had "Masters Home Improvement" which was meant to take on Wesfarmer's-owned Bunnings. They flopped, because the US-interests insisted on imperial measured goods in a country that had standardised on metric decades ago, and then they tried flogging gun safes in a country with some of the strictest gun ownership laws in the world.

Last edited by Redhatter; 01-08-21 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-08-21, 10:02 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 74 Posts
I didn't know they lasted even that long. I don't recall Woolworth's in the U.S. being a grocery store, though? (Look, I was still pretty young when the one in my hometown closed-- well before the 90s, that one-- so I don't remember a lot about them, though I remember my mom taking me there for cherry Cokes at the soda counter-- you know, with the actual cherries in the bottom. -- but I thought they were a discount or dry-goods type of store...)
Old 01-08-21, 10:13 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2446 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 791 Posts
re: pills... I sometimes notice on the grocery store shelf there will be a generic "compare to Motrin" and a few spaces over a generic "compare to Advil" and the prices per pill can be wildly different for the same qty.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-09-21, 01:39 AM
Redhatter

Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
I didn't know they lasted even that long. I don't recall Woolworth's in the U.S. being a grocery store, though? (Look, I was still pretty young when the one in my hometown closed-- well before the 90s, that one-- so I don't remember a lot about them, though I remember my mom taking me there for cherry Cokes at the soda counter-- you know, with the actual cherries in the bottom. -- but I thought they were a discount or dry-goods type of store...)
Actually, it could be a completely different company over here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolworth
Old 01-09-21, 08:51 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 294 Posts
There was a Woolco in town when we moved there in the mid 60's. Woolco was more like Target or Kmart, Woolworths was a dime store then in Illinois. I bet we're talking about different areas.
Old 01-09-21, 11:18 PM
jan230
Old Rider

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Old 01-09-21, 11:19 PM
jan230
Old Rider

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Old 01-10-21, 02:10 AM
mort1369

Bikes: Raleigh USA Technium Olympian, Kona Hahanna single-speed, Trek 420 Three Speed Fixie, Trek 720 hybrid/bike of burden, Trek 1200 ZX 'Superleggera' project, Trek 800 (for the taller relatives), Trek 400 fixie, Cove G-Spot attempt at a double-boinger. .

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by jan230 View Post
Well, that gives him a hobby. . . .
Old 01-10-21, 05:09 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 491 Posts
Old 01-10-21, 06:26 AM
himespau 

Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked 1,404 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB View Post
Re amazon, I have read in recent times that the automation process that they use in their warehouses brings boxes already with barcode by one robot to a human, then the merchandise from another robot is brought to said human and they better get it packed and taped lickety split with a computerized stopwatch over their head or they are soon replaced. No time to consider the size of boxes.
On Wednesday or Thursday I put in an order with Amazon for 1 pack of 20 QR Skewer springs and for 2 seapost binder bolts. On Friday, I got a box like the FedEx one above with the springs and a ton of paper. On Saturday, I got who padded shipping envelopes (different styles of envelopes, delivered separately), with 1 binder bolt in each. I'm sure it's due to supply chain issues and where they had the stock, but it seems like a lot of packaging and energy spent on delivery for what is probably less than 1 ounce of metal. Usually, I select that "ship in the smallest number of packages possible" box even if it takes a couple extra days, but I must have forgotten or three must have been the smallest number they felt possible.
Old 01-10-21, 07:39 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 38 Posts

It's possible that there's two companies with the same name. I think Woolies did team up with some mob in the US, out of that we had "Masters Home Improvement" which was meant to take on Wesfarmer's-owned Bunnings. They flopped, because the US-interests insisted on imperial measured goods in a country that had standardised on metric decades ago, and then they tried flogging gun safes in a country with some of the strictest gun ownership laws in the world.
Sounds odd to me, re; the imperial measures. 90% of products here carry both metric and Imperial measures for sale in Canada or Mexico. Gun Safes do sound like a poor distribution issue that plagued many of these “mart” retailers. Kresge company had rebranded itself into Kmart, but ultimately was squeezed out by Walmart and a slew of regional “off price” wharehouse outlet type businesses.
Old 01-10-21, 08:58 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 290 Posts

60 y.o. here. Woolworths was a 'five & dime' store in the USA for many, many decades (my mom shopped at them in the 1940s/1950s). They 'rebranded' to the Woolco name and changed to a discount department store chain in larger USA markets in the 1960s, but eventually went out of business in the 1970s. The closest thing we have to a Woolworths in the USA today is the pharmacy chains like Rite Aid, CVS, and Walgreens, which sell a lot of consumer goods along with the medications.
Likes For skidder:
Old 01-10-21, 09:21 AM
himespau 

Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked 1,404 Times in 826 Posts
When I was in Mexico City in the mid-90's on a school tour, we had an afternoon to ourselves. I was excited to find a Woolworths and had lunch at their lunchcounter rather than going to something unique just because it made me feel like I was visiting a piece of history after reading lots of books from the 40's/50's about folks shopping there/going to the soda counter. Plus, due to the exchange rate at the time, I got a full plate lunch for less than a buck.
Old 01-10-21, 03:37 PM
Redhatter

Originally Posted by himespau View Post
When I was in Mexico City in the mid-90's on a school tour, we had an afternoon to ourselves. I was excited to find a Woolworths and had lunch at their lunchcounter rather than going to something unique just because it made me feel like I was visiting a piece of history after reading lots of books from the 40's/50's about folks shopping there/going to the soda counter. Plus, due to the exchange rate at the time, I got a full plate lunch for less than a buck.
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
60 y.o. here. Woolworths was a 'five & dime' store in the USA for many, many decades (my mom shopped at them in the 1940s/1950s). They 'rebranded' to the Woolco name and changed to a discount department store chain in larger USA markets in the 1960s, but eventually went out of business in the 1970s. The closest thing we have to a Woolworths in the USA today is the pharmacy chains like Rite Aid, CVS, and Walgreens, which sell a lot of consumer goods along with the medications.
Yeah, I think Wikipedia has definitely indicated that the US Woolworths (F. W. Woolworth Company) and the Australian Woolworths (Woolworths Group (Australia)) are two different companies with very different business models.

Sounds odd to me, re; the imperial measures. 90% of products here carry both metric and Imperial measures for sale in Canada or Mexico. Gun Safes do sound like a poor distribution issue that plagued many of these “mart” retailers. Kresge company had rebranded itself into Kmart, but ultimately was squeezed out by Walmart and a slew of regional “off price” wharehouse outlet type businesses.
Yeah, we have Target and Kmart stores here… both run by the same company… and Target was… errm… targetted.

Originally Posted by chewybrian View Post
Heh, for best effect… zoom to fill-width.
Old 01-11-21, 04:09 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4113 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 364 Posts
Needless to say I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition there.
Likes For Stadjer:
Old 01-11-21, 04:38 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer View Post
Needless to say I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition there.
Nobody does.

Old 01-11-21, 01:07 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 294 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
When I lived in Texas in the early 80's we went to San Antonio. There was a Woolworth right across the street from it, and I remember eating at the counter feeling like we were seeing 2 different pieces of history then.
Old 01-11-21, 01:25 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
When I lived in Texas in the early 80's we went to San Antonio. There was a Woolworth right across the street from it, and I remember eating at the counter feeling like we were seeing 2 different pieces of history then.
I suppose it is because I am from North Carolina, but the lunch counter at Woolworth's evokes a different image for me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensboro_sit-ins
Old 01-11-21, 05:08 PM
Redhatter

Old 01-11-21, 05:09 PM
Redhatter

Old 01-11-21, 05:10 PM
Redhatter

Old 01-11-21, 05:13 PM
ahsposo 
Major Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 5439 Post(s)
Liked 2,780 Times in 1,640 Posts
I remember Woolworth's had a pet department. Had these little turtles you could buy and take home where they would die a slow and ugly-looking death and then have what passed for a burial at sea in the bathroom.

Good Times...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.