Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano Wireless

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shimano Wireless

Old 01-30-21, 06:23 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Shimano Wireless

Not an exciting video, unless you're waiting to upgrade:

Old 01-30-21, 07:45 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
If you've watched it, give us the executive summary. I'm not watching a 15 minute vid.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-30-21, 08:12 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3349 Post(s)
Liked 3,597 Times in 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If you've watched it, give us the executive summary. I'm not watching a 15 minute vid.
TL;DW:

Video creator finds application IDs to FCC from Shimano for items named "rear derailleur" and "wireless module". Items include ANT+ and BLE compatibility.

Video creator speculates: Since item pictures in FCC filings are restricted from public view until 6 months from now and Shimano is due for a new Dura-Ace group introduction based on past product introductions, Shimano will announce a new Dura-Ace groupset that includes some wireless features within the next 6 months. Potentially either wireless or wired installation based on some available drawings in FCC filings.
Old 01-30-21, 08:28 PM
Koyote

I think I've seen speculation that their next system will have wireless shifters, with wiring between the derailleurs and a battery to power them. Or maybe it was the other way around. But we'll know when we see it!

My only hope is that, when Shimano goes to 12 speed, they will push an update to older Di2 groups -- so I can just buy a new chain and cassette and gain an extra cog.

Thanks for the summary!
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-31-21, 08:17 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Interesting. I do hope they come out with wireless option. My old frame is not set up for internal cables, and one reason I have not jumped to Di2 is the external wiring setup is a pita and not very clean.
Old 01-31-21, 11:10 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Interesting. I do hope they come out with wireless option. My old frame is not set up for internal cables, and one reason I have not jumped to Di2 is the external wiring setup is a pita and not very clean.
All you need is a drill motor, 1/4" drill and patience.
Old 01-31-21, 12:47 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by datlas
I may be an outlier, but one of my fave things about my Di2 bike is the very clean front end. I have the bar-end junction box, and the wire between the shifters runs through the handlebar...And the bluetooth module is inside the frame. It is very nice to NOT have all shifter cables coming out from under the bar tape.
Old 01-31-21, 01:28 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
All you need is a drill motor, 1/4" drill and patience.
Maybe. The frame builder suggested not to go that route, though.
Old 01-31-21, 01:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Wireless just seems like more batteries I'll have to keep up with. So instead of knowing the state of my one Di2 battery, I'll now have to hope at least three batteries have enough juice for my ride.

But I've long been a nay-sayer that had to eat my words. <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-31-21, 02:37 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I think I've seen speculation that their next system will have wireless shifters, with wiring between the derailleurs and a battery to power them. Or maybe it was the other way around. But we'll know when we see it!

My only hope is that, when Shimano goes to 12 speed, they will push an update to older Di2 groups -- so I can just buy a new chain and cassette and gain an extra cog.

Thanks for the summary!
Thruth be told, I have been very happy with 11 speed. I am not willing to spend a huge out lay for an upgrade. Even if the cost is minimal, I would probably stay with 11 speed until things started wearing out significantly.
Old 01-31-21, 02:46 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Thruth be told, I have been very happy with 11 speed. I am not willing to spend a huge out lay for an upgrade. Even if the cost is minimal, I would probably stay with 11 speed until things started wearing out significantly.
Rest assured the cost will not be minimal even if a upgrade is available.
Old 01-31-21, 02:52 PM
Koyote

Sure. But if the cost of upgrading the system is a new cassette and chain, then I would do it when it’s time to replace those bits anyway.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-31-21, 03:41 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I'd be very surprised if Shimano 12 didn't include a new microspline hub. It would surprise me if the hub could be retrofitted to other freehub bodies like most other brands. That's how you sell wheels to owners of the other brands.

Wireless shifters like SRAM's each use a single 2032 coin battery that lasts a very long time. The other two batteries do the work, so they must be recharged regularly. They are tiny and weigh 25 grams. Carrying one or even two spare batteries is not a big deal. If one craps out, it only takes a minute to change it out. I usually catch the red light warning with the bike in the work stand. I haven't had one die on the road yet.
Old 01-31-21, 03:43 PM
colnago62

Sure. But if the cost of upgrading the system is a new cassette and chain, then I would do it when it’s time to replace those bits anyway.
I see what you are saying. I was looking at this in terms of having to upgrade shifters deraillleurs, pretty much the whole running gear. That would be very cool if it was a software update.
Old 01-31-21, 04:20 PM
Koyote

I see what you are saying. I was looking at this in terms of having to upgrade shifters deraillleurs, pretty much the whole running gear. That would be very cool if it was a software update.
I could’ve misunderstood, but I think you can do something like that to upgrade from 10 to 11 in Di2.
Old 01-31-21, 04:58 PM
cruiserhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
It could be a non-group specific wireless setup. Shimano did that with road hydro before offering Dura Ace or Ultegra hydro levers.
Maybe a similar setup to FSA with just the levers being wireless...
Old 01-31-21, 05:06 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
I may be an outlier, but one of my fave things about my Di2 bike is the very clean front end. I have the bar-end junction box, and the wire between the shifters runs through the handlebar...And the bluetooth module is inside the frame. It is very nice to NOT have all shifter cables coming out from under the bar tape.
I believe datlas’ comment has to do with having to run the cables, battery, B junction externally.
Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 01-31-21, 07:35 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by kissTheApex
I believe datlas’ comment has to do with having to run the cables, battery, B junction externally.
Yes, I know. Hence my comment about a clean installation. If you have to run all of that stuff externally, you miss out on a Di2 feature that is important to some people -- at least to me.
Old 01-31-21, 07:45 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
meh

no interest in wireless Di2.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-31-21, 09:30 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I'd be very surprised if Shimano 12 didn't include a new microspline hub. It would surprise me if the hub could be retrofitted to other freehub bodies like most other brands. That's how you sell wheels to owners of the other brands.
You've said the same thing about micro spline in every thread about it on here...12 speed Micro-spline bodies are readily available on the MTB side and can be swapped on pretty much all available modern hubs. Why would you think it was going to be different on the road side??? If you can swap a body to a XDR (like most wheels using SRAM), you can swap it to micro-spline...
Old 01-31-21, 10:21 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by noodle soup
meh

no interest in wireless Di2.
I am pretty ambivalent. The person who puts my bike together deals with the wiring and other hard stuff. After that, all I have to do is charge the battery every once in awhile.
Old 02-01-21, 08:52 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
You've said the same thing about micro spline in every thread about it on here...12 speed Micro-spline bodies are readily available on the MTB side and can be swapped on pretty much all available modern hubs. Why would you think it was going to be different on the road side??? If you can swap a body to a XDR (like most wheels using SRAM), you can swap it to micro-spline...
I didn't say that most wheels can't be changed to microspline. Most can, except for genuine shimano brand wheels. Your old shimano 11 wheels can't be converted. Right now, there is no microspline road cassette, so you don't see road wheelsets with a microspline option, but sure, it will happen sometime after the new groupsets are out. My fulcrum road wheels can be outfitted with shimano 11, campy 9-12, or xdr freehub bodies. An xd cassette just requires a spacer on the xdr body.