Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

$1500 Tax Credit for Bike Purchases

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-10-21, 09:47 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts

Interesting, but unfortunately would only be for e-bike purchases. Nothing for the even-greener non-electrics?

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...e#.YCP_X2hKjb0
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-10-21, 09:51 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
not going to be good for the mups...
waiting on the tax incentive to consume more junk food.
Old 02-10-21, 10:03 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Wait for all of the battery failures and batteries thrown into landfills. Yay! Help me to understand why this segment requires Gov't assistance to modulate demand.
Old 02-10-21, 10:07 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Wait for all of the battery failures and batteries thrown into landfills. Yay! Help me to understand why this segment requires Gov't assistance to modulate demand.
If the battery is classed correctly...
https://www.newsbreak.com/news/15444...s-in-the-ocean
Old 02-10-21, 10:24 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
What a ridiculous proposal. Ridiculous on so many levels. I'm guessing that both of the bill's sponsors have major bike manufacturers in their districts.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-10-21, 10:43 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Nothing for the even-greener non-electrics?
I'd assume that they'd like to target alternative transportation as opposed to recreation. I've got no problem with that - it would be nice of them to partially offset the purchase of a new gravel bike for me, but I'm not going to get upset that I have to pay full price (or close to it) for a new toy.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-10-21, 10:48 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'd assume that they'd like to target alternative transportation as opposed to recreation. I've got no problem with that - it would be nice of them to partially offset the purchase of a new gravel bike for me, but I'm not going to get upset that I have to pay full price (or close to it) for a new toy.
Sure, but there are ebikes across the spectrum...Including this one. But the article does not indicate that the incentive is directed toward commuter bikes - only ebikes in general.

I can think of at least ten different ways to actually incentivize people to substitute bikes for autos, but this will only accomplish it incidentally.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-10-21, 10:55 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Koyote
I can think of at least ten different ways to actually incentivize people to substitute bikes for autos, but this will only accomplish it incidentally.
So get crackin'.

In the meantime, I'm okay with something that gets our over-weight and fossil fuel dependent asses off the couch. Our taxes have been spent, and continue to be spent, on far, far worse.
Old 02-10-21, 10:59 AM
rut3556

Bikes: 2021 Giant Escape 2 Disc

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Alternative transportation....GOOD!
Recreational use....BAD!

Likes For rut3556:
Old 02-10-21, 11:01 AM
Koyote

So get crackin'.

In the meantime, I'm okay with something that gets our over-weight and fossil fuel dependent asses off the couch. Our taxes have been spent, and continue to be spent, on far, far worse.
I doubt it will have that effect. Given ebike prices, this would likely just be (mostly) a nice giveaway to people who would've bought them anyway.

I would very much like the government to incentivize people to ride bikes, both for commuting and for recreation. But this is not a very fruitful approach.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-10-21, 11:20 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
What a ridiculous proposal. Ridiculous on so many levels. I'm guessing that both of the bill's sponsors have major bike manufacturers in their districts.
I don't think it's any more ridiculous than a $7500 tax credit for a Porsche Taycan 4S.

I think it would be better if it was targeted specifically to e-Cargo bikes rather than pure recreational ones. If it kickstarts a few American manufactures what's wrong with that? Wouldn't be the first or last manufacturer helped by the tax structure. About 1 out of every 3 dollars today didn't even exist last March, so if we are using the National credit card willy-nilly we might as well some of it to get more people on bikes and more cycling infra-structure out if it.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 02-10-21, 11:20 AM
WhyFi

I doubt it will have that effect. Given ebike prices, this would likely just be (mostly) a nice giveaway to people who would've bought them anyway.

I would very much like the government to incentivize people to ride bikes, both for commuting and for recreation.
Again - so get crackin'. Call or write to your lawmakers with your ten different and better approaches. FWIW, though, I can see this appealing to a number of people that I know for whom the e-bike price of entry is a significant stumbling block.

But this is not a very fruitful approach.
I read this as: it doesn't cover what's on my shopping list.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-10-21, 11:34 AM
Koyote

Again - so get crackin'. Call or write to your lawmakers with your ten different and better approaches. FWIW, though, I can see this appealing to a number of people that I know for whom the e-bike price of entry is a significant stumbling block.

I'm always surprised when people make assumptions even when it's just as easy to simply ask.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-10-21, 11:36 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
... fossil fuel dependent ...
Misnomer and actually factually incorrect. The latest research says that not only are fossilized plant matter origins and time no longer the causes of the Earth's crude and gas production, but also that supply is tremendously greater than thought only a decade ago. It is very likely that the Earth doesn't have a fixed depleted amount, as was once thought, but that it continues to produce it. Marvelous. Anyway, not fossils...
Old 02-10-21, 11:44 AM
Troul 

Misnomer and actually factually incorrect. The latest research says that not only are fossilized plant matter origins and time no longer the causes of the Earth's crude and gas production, but also that supply is tremendously greater than thought only a decade ago. It is very likely that the Earth doesn't have a fixed depleted amount, as was once thought, but that it continues to produce it. Marvelous. Anyway, not fossils...
similar thinking that the earth was flat.

Whoa...
Old 02-10-21, 11:50 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
Some of us bike to work every day. We're doing our part in reducing CO2 emissions. Why shouldn't we get some tax credit too?
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-10-21, 11:50 AM
WhyFi

Thanks you for the wonderfully pedantic aside.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-10-21, 11:51 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by WhyFi;21918180[b
]Again - so get crackin'. Call or write to your lawmakers with your ten different and better approaches.[/b] FWIW, though, I can see this appealing to a number of people that I know for whom the e-bike price of entry is a significant stumbling block.

I'm always surprised when people make assumptions even when it's just as easy to simply ask.
And I'll add that you're engaging in a classic ad hominem fallacy. Neither my communications (or lack thereof) with my legislators nor my shopping list have any bearing on the efficacy of the proposal.
Old 02-10-21, 11:53 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
if we are using the National credit card willy-nilly we might as well some of it to get more people on bikes and more cycling infra-structure out if it.
Agreed. More bicycling paths and better infrastructure will encourage more people to bike or e-bike to work than a tax credit.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-10-21, 11:53 AM
Troul 

I'd rather the tax incentive fund for better kept cycling routes, improved cycling routes, & other related infrastructure related things.
Old 02-10-21, 11:55 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Some of us bike to work every day. We're doing our part in reducing CO2 emissions. Why shouldn't we get some tax credit too?
The ‘me too’ mentality is always so refreshing.
How about people that walk to work?
You thinking that they also deserve a tax credit?
Or how about people that carpool to work? Should all of the passengers get a tax credit?
Mass-transit tax credits?
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 02-10-21, 12:00 PM
WhyFi

You're right - let's not do anything for anybody unless it takes care of everybody that thinks they're deserving.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-10-21, 12:03 PM
Koyote

Agreed. More bicycling paths and better infrastructure will encourage more people to bike or e-bike to work than a tax credit.
Originally Posted by Troul
I'd rather the tax incentive fund for better kept cycling routes, improved cycling routes, & other related infrastructure related things.
These are actually the most commonly-cited reasons, in numerous polls and studies, for why people don't commute by bicycle. Among people who are likely to consider commuting by bike, cost is not a huge factor -- which makes sense, given that it costs far less per mile to commute by almost any bike than it does with almost any auto.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-10-21, 12:07 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Troul
Why not both? One shouldn't preclude the other, but it is a Chicken v Egg thing. There's often tremendous pushback locally against building out cycling infrastructure when there's the perception that there's not enough cyclists to take advantage of said infrastructure. It's dumb, but I've seen this firsthand in both NYC and the Twin Cities. Giving someone the ability to easily maintain 20mph certainly does make it easier to take advantage of a lot of the existing infrastructure, though.
Old 02-10-21, 12:18 PM
Troul 

I've witness over the years the impact to what a bike paths condition will have on a community.
Maintained = will be used by the intended people
Unmaintained = Crime uses it.

My take on why to keep the paths maintained.. Crime seeks out areas that lack attention (oversight) to "take over" .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.