Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-21, 11:13 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13711 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 2,504 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
we got about 7 or more depending where you are. Its a cluster out there. Lol. Took me an hour and 10 minutes to get in to work. Normally its 30 minutes.
Took Benson to her grooming appointment this morning. We have really good road crews here. Travel time was the same as always.
Old 02-16-21, 11:29 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Took Benson to her grooming appointment this morning. We have really good road crews here. Travel time was the same as always.
Ours are struggling with reduced funding. Keep in mind morning for me was 4:30 am. I was breaking trail for a bit of the commute.

I might have to break out the shovels when I get home tonight. Don't wanna do it... not prudent...
Old 02-16-21, 11:47 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
We didn't have a plow hit our street until about 7 this morning. It looks clear now though.
Old 02-16-21, 11:56 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
I spent hours Sunday and yesterday, poring over Ebay listings, looking for a nice matched wheelset for the Cannondale. I also took the RX100 hub apart, the one that felt 'gritty', or 'crunchy'. The fact that I could to this without cone wrenches suggests part of the problem was that the non-drive side cone wasn't properly locked in. So I looked at a bunch of videos and pages on servicing Shimano hubs, and the solution occurred to me - rebuild the RX100 front hub with new bearings and grease (the cones look good), and pair it with the aesthetically-similar Ultegra rear wheel. They're both bright hub/anodized rim, both straight-gauge spokes, and the slight difference in rim profile between the Mavic 195 front and the MA3 rear is not so obvious at a distance. And it means I can have a working bike sooner, and cheaper.

I also realized I'd NEVER rebuilt any of the hubs on my bikes, even the 1995 Dura Ace hubs on the Ritchey, which still spin astonishingly smoothly. And I realized I should probably rebuild any old wheels I bought off Ebay anyhow. SO I bought cone wrenches, ball bearings, and grease! Wish me luck.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-16-21, 12:15 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by genejockey
I spent hours Sunday and yesterday, poring over Ebay listings, looking for a nice matched wheelset for the Cannondale. I also took the RX100 hub apart, the one that felt 'gritty', or 'crunchy'. The fact that I could to this without cone wrenches suggests part of the problem was that the non-drive side cone wasn't properly locked in. So I looked at a bunch of videos and pages on servicing Shimano hubs, and the solution occurred to me - rebuild the RX100 front hub with new bearings and grease (the cones look good), and pair it with the aesthetically-similar Ultegra rear wheel. They're both bright hub/anodized rim, both straight-gauge spokes, and the slight difference in rim profile between the Mavic 195 front and the MA3 rear is not so obvious at a distance. And it means I can have a working bike sooner, and cheaper.

I also realized I'd NEVER rebuilt any of the hubs on my bikes, even the 1995 Dura Ace hubs on the Ritchey, which still spin astonishingly smoothly. And I realized I should probably rebuild any old wheels I bought off Ebay anyhow. SO I bought cone wrenches, ball bearings, and grease! Wish me luck.
You can run a ball point pen around the bearing tracks in the cones to "feel" for imperfections, same on the cones. If you find a little bit of damage to the cups... so what? Run them to failure then. They will last a long time even with pits. New cones and balls grease em up and adjust. Cones are replacable.
As far as adjusting.. I lock one side and play with the other. You will get a feel for how much the cone moves and in which direction when you lock and unlock. You want just the tiniest whisper of play on the axel, that will get removed when you cinch up the quick release squewer.
EDIT: Yep, a cone thats too tight will feel gritty and have no play. The art is finding the spot that has no perceptible play, but runs smooth and free.

Last edited by ls01; 02-16-21 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-16-21, 12:20 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts

One more tip. Don't rebuild ball bearing hubs or head sets over cement or other hard floor.

Last edited by Jack Tone; 02-16-21 at 12:30 PM.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 02-16-21, 12:52 PM
ls01
he said member

Uh oh, just got the call. Tomorrow I get my first injection of the Vaccine. That is all.
Old 02-16-21, 12:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
One more tip. Don't rebuild ball bearing hubs or head sets over cement or other hard floor.
You haven't lived till you've spent hour searching for one of the tiny screws that you find in a wrist watch movement, the ones that take the 0.5mm screwdriver.

Old 02-16-21, 01:18 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by phrantic09
We didn't have a plow hit our street until about 7 this morning. It looks clear now though.
We're on a snow route, so the plows run pretty regularly, when a bit of weather is forecast. But, even the county roads were clear by 8am.
Old 02-16-21, 01:19 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28608 Post(s)
Liked 1,856 Times in 1,318 Posts
Uh oh, just got the call. Tomorrow I get my first injection of the Vaccine. That is all.
You must be old.
Old 02-16-21, 01:21 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

I've come to enjoy refurbishing hubs (and BBs). I get a lot of practice down at the shop.

Good luck.
Old 02-16-21, 01:24 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

We're on a snow route, so the plows run pretty regularly, when a bit of weather is forecast.
Snow route to where?
Old 02-16-21, 01:35 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
You must be old.
I ain't that old. I am a utility worker.
Old 02-16-21, 01:44 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I ain't that old. I am a utility worker.
I don't remember seeing that on the list of special people.
Old 02-16-21, 01:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I don't remember seeing that on the list of special people.
Essential Worker.

Interestingly, Pharma research is considered Essential Work, but I don't believe Pharma researchers are considered Essential Workers for purposes of vaccination, and since my work doesn't involve interacting with the public - luckily for both me, and The Public - I don't think I qualify anyhow.

Old 02-16-21, 01:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I've come to enjoy refurbishing hubs (and BBs). I get a lot of practice down at the shop.

Good luck.
I just bought enough 3/16 and 1/4 inch bearings to overhaul 7.5 bikes worth of wheels.

Old 02-16-21, 02:02 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Essential Worker.

Interestingly, Pharma research is considered Essential Work, but I don't believe Pharma researchers are considered Essential Workers for purposes of vaccination, and since my work doesn't involve interacting with the public - luckily for both me, and The Public - I don't think I qualify anyhow.
Here he wouldn't be eligible now unless that's considered a first responder.

I have a weakened immune system and probably won't get in for another month or so.
Old 02-16-21, 02:09 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,753 Times in 2,766 Posts
I'm old enough, I'm essential enough, I'm COPD enough and doggone it, people pretend to like me.
Old 02-16-21, 02:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

My take is that everyone should get vaccinated as soon as they are allowed, because it's not just for you, it's to reduce the number of susceptible people in the population, which reduced transmission opportunities for the virus. If you have the opportunity to get the shot, get the shot.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-16-21, 02:41 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Today was one of those days where all the stars aligned and I had two awesome rides. The first one was solo, I had to delay it due to extreme wet conditions but once I got started I didn’t want to stop. It was. perfect 55 degrees, zero wind and I felt super strong. Had to stop when nature started to call. Not using wet leaves or my nice gloves.

Second ride was with Lily. She was bummed because she hasn’t ridden in two weeks. She took off strong holding 16 mph. I was super impressed. She didn’t hold it the whole ride, but she was looking stronger as well. At the 17 mile mark she said she wanted to do 30 miles. I was worried she was going to bonk at the 25 mile mark but she pushed through. Next week she wants to do 40 but she wants a break in the middle of it. Thinking of going up the cap trail and finding a place to eat and then turning around.

Super proud of her. I’ve never seen her so motivated before, and it’s crazy to me how far she is going. It took me months before I ever got to 30 miles.

Hope everyone is well. Been super busy and out of it lately, why I havnt been popping in all that much.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 02-16-21, 03:08 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Wonderful Wenatchee, Washington
What's the occasion? Moving back?

Old 02-16-21, 03:14 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
Went to pump up the rear tyre on one of my commuter bikes this morning. The tube failed at the valve. At least I have sufficient bikes that I could just transfer my work clothes to another one and ride that. I now have two bikes with dead tyres to fix. I'm not looking forward to getting the Marathon Plus tyres off the rims. Looks like the weekend is bike maintenance weekend. The repairs are queuing up.
Old 02-16-21, 03:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

First hiccup in restoring the Cannondale - the crank and BB arrived. YAY!

The BB is Italian threaded. WAAAAH!

A correctly threaded BB has been ordered. (Fingers drumming on table)

Old 02-16-21, 03:20 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

An axle vise will make the job so much more pleasant.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=axle+vise&...P%2FONECOL.jpg

Old 02-16-21, 03:26 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

My take is that everyone should get vaccinated as soon as they are allowed, because it's not just for you, it's to reduce the number of susceptible people in the population, which reduced transmission opportunities for the virus. If you have the opportunity to get the shot, get the shot.
Some friends are down for the winter, from Colorado. They are anti-maskers, anti-vaxers, and hoaxers. They are also moon landing deniers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.