Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Heads Up. The bike shortage will be through most of the 2021 season

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Heads Up. The bike shortage will be through most of the 2021 season

Old 02-19-21, 09:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Sertsa
It's an SRAM NX-Eagle 11-50t 12spd on a 2020 Kona Honzo, so I don't think it should be that unique. The kicker is I really only need the 11-tooth cog, maybe the one after, but evidently have to buy a full cassette. (The mountain bike trails in my area became quite crowded, so I spent a lot of time on rail-trails, where I stay on the top cog. Of course a gravel bike would be better-suited).
This? Genuinely not sure since MTB has so many different incompatible components, but I think this is it.
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...speed-cassette
https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-PG-1230-.../dp/B07HL52PG7

Its been at a shop for over 2 months now waiting for something that is in stock at online retailers? I think I posted this same thing a week ago for the same issue- its great to support a local shop and I do it for many things, but at what point does the inability to source something that is readily available online become reason to just order it online and have it changed within a few days?
To each their own and all though.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-19-21, 10:14 AM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This? Genuinely not sure since MTB has so many different incompatible components, but I think this is it.
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...speed-cassette
https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-PG-1230-.../dp/B07HL52PG7

Its been at a shop for over 2 months now waiting for something that is in stock at online retailers? I think I posted this same thing a week ago for the same issue- its great to support a local shop and I do it for many things, but at what point does the inability to source something that is readily available online become reason to just order it online and have it changed within a few days?
To each their own and all though.
That certainly looks like it, and is the same price. Thanks.

It's been in the shop for two months but awaiting a cassette around six weeks.

I took it in for a general tune up in December, and they found a crack in the rear wheel. The wheel (partially covered under warranty) and chain were replaced. I went to pick it up, test rode it, and the new chain constantly slipped in the top cog. It had been slipping a bit before, which I mentioned when I brought it in. The mechanic said he had test rode it, but he's much shorter and likely couldn't get much leverage. He apologized, ordered a new cassette, and I've been waiting since.

As an aside I'm surprised this much was worn in nine months and 2,400 miles. I'm not all that heavy anymore (6'2", 214lbs) and didn't do anything risky with it.

Winter's been pretty active for the last month, so I haven't been bothered too much by not having a bike, but I'll contact them for an update and may mention the site. Thanks again.
Old 02-19-21, 02:18 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
At this point, my LBS is perfectly fine with customers bringing in parts they source themselves for installation. The shop can’t get certain things from the normal wholesalers, even though the parts may be available from etailers. I’ve done this with a couple parts, at their suggestion, and not paid any kind of surcharge - but then, I have a very good long-standing relationship with them.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-19-21, 05:53 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
At this point, my LBS is perfectly fine with customers bringing in parts they source themselves for installation. The shop can’t get certain things from the normal wholesalers, even though the parts may be available from etailers. I’ve done this with a couple parts, at their suggestion, and not paid any kind of surcharge - but then, I have a very good long-standing relationship with them.
We do customer part installations all of the time. Surprisingly folks often pay the same price online as we charge in the shop for the same part, sometimes they even pay more actually. I think for quite a while people got conditioned to think everything is cheaper on line but many bike shops have caught up now and charge the same price as major online retailers for parts. For full bike custom builds we discount parts further.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 02-19-21, 09:13 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
My LBS is telling me a month or more to get a 11-28 11sp cassette from Shimano, likewise for chains (although they did have DuraAce in stock); get your shelves filled up with spares for the season, its going to another supply chain mess....
Old 02-19-21, 09:34 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Beach Bob
My LBS is telling me a month or more to get a 11-28 11sp cassette from Shimano, likewise for chains (although they did have DuraAce in stock); get your shelves filled up with spares for the season, its going to another supply chain mess....
Yep. My LBS couldn't get one, but did get a SRAM 11-28 so that's what I have on my bike now (with an otherwise Ultegra groupset).
Old 02-20-21, 11:09 AM
greysquirrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
In early January, my local bike shop turned me away when I tried to buy a 2021 Giant TCX. I walked in ready to pay and just left. They wouldn't consider taking my order. I actually appreciate them not wasting my time given they:
- told me that they were already sitting on 3,000 orders for Giant bikes.
- showed me a printed list of the back orders, it indeed looked like 3,000 orders
- said that Giant was the most backordered brand they sold
- said that they hadn't taken a "custom order", meaning an order for a model they didn't have in stock, in almost six months
- said that they anticipated only fulfilling ~20% of their backorders

More recently, they quoted a friend of mine a 2023 delivery date (!) for a Giant Propel. This is a very large, well known shop that has plenty of "pull" with distributors.

This all seems pretty extreme. Perhaps other brands are in a better spot, but Specialized and Trek are definitely in similarly short supply in my local stores. Direct sales brands like Canyon and YT haven't had many popular models in popular sizes in stock for months, I've checked. The most popular components (especially Shimano) have been on back order for months.

Giant website says coming soon: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/pr...ed-1-disc-2021. I was lucky and able to get a Revolt Advance after looking for 2-3 weeks.
Old 02-21-21, 07:06 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Beach Bob
In the past six months I bought what I think I’ll need for the next 12 months. It’s crazy out there but with patience you can sometimes find what you need
Old 03-09-21, 05:55 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Update bump.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton...h=7aa8dd2f149c
Old 03-09-21, 08:39 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

I do have an update to post. The shortage could easily extend into 2022 as well. Many brands are already planning 2022 production and have told dealers that they may be rationed for 2022 ordering due to expected ongoing shortages. Most shops will not be able to do any significant reordering of stock through the season so what they have in the shop this spring will be it. If you find what you want at a shop in your size, I suggest buying it when you see it and not expect to come back in a few weeks and find the same bike still on the floor. We have nearly sold out of some models we sell already, and have been told that reordering later in the season "will not be an option for many models."
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 03-10-21, 03:38 PM
TheatreOfNoise

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SL 6 Stealth Black

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just got off the phone with a local Trek shop as I am looking for a Domane SL 6. They told me the problem isn't so much production but getting bikes shipped here from overseas.
Old 03-10-21, 06:54 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
My buddy was eyeballing the Trek Checkpoint ALR 4 and he was told by two local shops (one of which was a Trek store): "No planned stock before 2022, no ETA for pre-orders." One of the stores still hadn't received a pre-order (purple) that was placed in June of last year (size 54).
Old 03-11-21, 06:37 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by TheatreOfNoise
Just got off the phone with a local Trek shop as I am looking for a Domane SL 6. They told me the problem isn't so much production but getting bikes shipped here from overseas.
One of many claimed reasons. More than 1 bottleneck.
Containers are more expensive compared to other times in recent years, but they are moving. But yes, in general there is a backlog of overall goods.
Old 03-11-21, 12:51 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Global shipping is a mess right now. NYT had an article about it on Sunday with some pretty good info, but it doesn't sound like it's going to get fixed anytime soon.

This is going to affect a lot of things, not just bikes/parts.
Old 03-11-21, 10:00 PM
dwmckee

Container rates (40 foot) now $4000 form Asia to pacific coast wnen it was $1200 a year ago.
Shortage of empty containers in Asia to load
Small feeder ships missing connections in Taiwan to offload onto bigger ships for the Pacific voyage
West Coast ports have container ships waiting offshore 2 - 3 weeks to get dock space
Containers in port taking 2 weeks to get out of the port
Shortage of truck drivers to get containers out of the port to warehouses
Containers falling off of ships in unusually high numbers.
Antiquated port operations

And that is just the transport. There are even more severe production problems - raw material shortages, parts shortages, labor shortages, demand spikes, planning problems, a bit of a bike shortage before the whole Corona thing even started, inventory hoarding in places,

Oh, and have you followed the price of raw aluminum ingot lately? Or tried to order a Shimano Acera rear derailleur lately... Manufacturers now demanding cash up front to assemble bikes that used to be purchased with generous credit terms.

Last edited by dwmckee; 03-17-21 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-12-21, 09:58 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Container rates (40 foot) now $4000 form Asia to pacific coast wnen it was $1200 a year ago.
Shortage of empty containers in Asia to load
Small feeder ships missing connections in Taiwan to offload onto bigger ships for the Pacific voyage
West Coast ports have container ships waiting offshore 2 - 3 weeks to get dock space
Containers in port taking 2 weeks to get out of the port
Shortage of truck drivers to get containers out of the port to warehouses
Containers falling off of ships in unusually high numbers.
Antiquated port operations

And that is just the transport. There are even more severe production problems - raw material shortages, parts shortages, labor shortages, demand spikes, planning problems, a bit of a bike shortage before the whole Corona thing even started, inventory hoarding in places,
I guess this would help explain the vigorous posting in the "Classic and Vintage" subforum.
Old 03-12-21, 06:47 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by Koyote
I guess this would help explain the vigorous posting in the "Classic and Vintage" subforum.
Definitely! We are selling used bikes within a day of taking them in.
Old 03-16-21, 12:21 PM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I definitely chose the wrong year to leave the n=1 life, sigh.
Likes For kuroba:
Old 03-16-21, 11:59 PM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset
My buddy was eyeballing the Trek Checkpoint ALR 4 and he was told by two local shops (one of which was a Trek store): "No planned stock before 2022, no ETA for pre-orders." One of the stores still hadn't received a pre-order (purple) that was placed in June of last year (size 54).
I just received a call from my Trek Dealer regarding an order that we had placed in early December last year that Trek pushed the delivery date out until June of 2022 for her Domane AL3 Disk.

I may have found another one, not in her preferred color, but it should be here by May at another dealer. They had told me that if it was in their system now, they would be getting it. Now to do the hour drive to pop some money on it so we don't loose it.

For myself, I was going to order an Orbea Orca (MyO) and of course sold out. My dealer told me that he had to get an order in for all of his bikes for the year or he would not be getting any, and he was told that he could not order any more this year. Luckily he set one of his orders aside for me, so I in theory I should be able to place my order when the next model year is released.
Old 03-17-21, 08:53 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I was in my LBS yesterday and a guy came in that ordered a Top Fuel back in early December. The original arrival date that was given was mid January 2021. They pushed delivery until June 2021. It's crazy out there, folks.
Old 03-17-21, 08:57 AM
OddJack

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
subscried , very interesteing
Old 03-18-21, 10:55 AM
cordawg92

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I checked with my Trek dealer as well and it doesn't look like they'll be able to place any additional orders for the season. It looks like I'll be browsing the classifieds for a while. Same goes for Decathlon in Canada for their Triban RC 500/520.
Old 03-18-21, 12:34 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
If you guys want a real and permanent shortage of bicycles in the US you can support this plan from WIRED magazine.

opinion-a-plan-to-fix-the-us-bike-shortage
Old 03-18-21, 03:30 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I need a 42t Cannondale Spidering chain ring. Every time I think about it and go online to search, I come up empty handed and am reminded of this thread...
Old 03-21-21, 10:46 PM
cordawg92

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you guys think it’s worth waiting it out for an LBS to get more stock? Or pay the premium and buy second hand priced closed to MRSP?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.