Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question about Look Pedals - Old and New

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-21, 01:17 AM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I have been a Time Pedal user since the late 80's. I bought a Tandem and have a lot of people wanting to ride with me. I bought a pair of Flat, SPD, Shimano Pedals.

I need to know are the older look pedals, say 10 years back compatible with the KEO models today. Will the older cleats work with the newer pedals and vice versa. Anyone selling a set of Look pedals in good working shape, PM me.

Just want to have a set of pedals that covers a wide set of possible riders

Thanks. Erik
Old 03-04-21, 02:02 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Keo cleats have been Look’s standard going back more than 10 years now. I’d say it’s harder to find a set of Look Arc pedals now than Keo (though I understand Peloton machines come equipped with Arc pedals)

I just sold a couple pairs of Keos a couple months ago for $20/pr. For a while you could get the Keo Classic new, with cleats, for only $5 or so more than the cleats, so I bought a few extra pairs to equip all my bikes every time I wore out some cleats.

Last edited by Leinster; 03-04-21 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-04-21, 02:03 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Older Look (Delta) are not compatible with Keo.
Keo has been around for quite a while though (2004).
It would be rare to find anyone on Delta's unless they were into the C&V stuff.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 03-04-21, 02:04 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
the original Look Delta cleat system is not compatible with Keo.
Red cleat or black cleat - neither work with Keo.

edit.
i'm into the c&v stuff.
a dozen pairs of Deltas.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-04-21 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-04-21, 02:14 AM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for the info.. That helped a lot - I will look for a pair of keo pedals, since those have been around over 15 years now.

Thank You..
Old 03-04-21, 02:36 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
have picked up two pairs of used look keo pedals off ebay in the last year (and put 2,500+ miles on both) for roughly $28 a pair-including shipping-both times.
the look keo pedal cleats are readily available (or were before all the fun began. saw a few pairs in my lbs and bought two but i like to have backups) in lbs and
online and run about $25.

Last edited by diphthong; 03-04-21 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-04-21, 09:08 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I'm still using my KEO pedals I bought new 15 years ago. I go through 2 sets of cleats per year and I never have any problems finding them in stock at any bike shop I've been to. I highly recommend.
Old 03-06-21, 11:23 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
If you're looking for stoker pedals that are as universal as possible, I'd stay with what you have - flats with Shimano SPD. Just my opinion, but that's much more universal than Look Keo. Not any knock on Look, but if someone has shoes with road cleats, ther're just as, or maybe more, likely to have Shimano SPD-SL, and also fairly likely to have Speedplay or even Time. None of those cleats are compatible. Of course, "two hole" cleats are also not compatible, and there's many other than Shimano that are very popular. But the Shimano SPD, I think, is more universal in that area than any of the road cleats.

I guess now that I'm thinking of it, it's likely impossible to find a satisfactory solution to what you're talking about. Maybe a variety of used/cheap pedals to swap out for any given ride with a guest?

What's your experience with the stoker riding on the flat pedals? We had a tandem for a while and my stoker couldn't keep her feet on the flat pedals. We ended up putting Speedplay Frogs on the back since they were the only ones she seemed to be able to clip into efficiently. Talk about non-universal. Frogs might be the least common two bolt cleat in the world.

Maybe Power Straps on the flat side to hold the shoe of the non-clipped-in stoker?