Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Beware the DeathMobile

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Beware the DeathMobile

Old 03-13-21, 02:44 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 455 Posts
Beware the DeathMobile

This was on Google News. Silly ****.

I especially liked the line:
"“The goal of modern truck grilles,” wrote Jalopnik’s Jason Torchinsky in 2018, “seems to be… about creating a massive, brutal face of rage and intimidation.” There's some truth in this, as IMO, some designs are outright massive and ugly. I think the Tacoma is a good example of what had been a nicely sized mid-sized P/U and is now bloated and ugly. And expensive.

The Dangerous Rise of the Supersized Pickup Truck - Bloomberg
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-13-21, 03:37 PM
ahsposo 
Major Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 5429 Post(s)
Liked 2,747 Times in 1,623 Posts
Yeah, well, ya can't fix stupid.
Old 03-13-21, 03:54 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Only two things matter to me in a vehicle. Cost and reliability. I'm fine with the smallest thing I can fit in. If it only had bench seats like a school bus and an interior I could hose out that would be awesome too. Don't need air or media devices either, not even a radio. Manual locks and windows, just fine. All I want is a basic tool that just works. I wish there was more of a market for vehicles like that.
Likes For gear64:
Old 03-13-21, 04:21 PM
Bradbikes

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gear64 View Post
Only two things matter to me in a vehicle. Cost and reliability.
I'd agree with that, but I might include safety as a feature too what with a family and all. Definitely no need for those death grilles or a cab jacked up to shoulder level for my needs.
Likes For Bradbikes:
Old 03-13-21, 05:03 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Bradbikes View Post
I'd agree with that, but I might include safety as a feature too what with a family and all. Definitely no need for those death grilles or a cab jacked up to shoulder level for my needs.
True, but current regulations meet my needs. Regarding my own safety, there's no comparison between even the most unsafe car and riding my bike in the road. In some ways I think it's comical how much safety is baked into enclosed vehicles, yet motorcycles are perfectly legal. Regarding vehicle size, no matter how big a vehicle is something else is bigger yet, you're never going to be 100% guaranteed to survive anything. I'm ok with an average sedan or mini van for family use. If that's not big enough to be safe because larger vehicles are too large; then there needs to be more regulation, not an arms race in vehicle size. The fact that personal vehicles and US sized semis share the same highways is actually asinine in terms of safety.
Old 03-13-21, 05:17 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 889 Times in 486 Posts
Old 03-13-21, 07:00 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,461 Posts
Old 03-13-21, 09:00 PM
base2 
Random Internet Person.

Bikes: 5 good ones, and the occasional project.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 277 Posts
Nothing says: "Not going to get the contract." Like showing up to my house to deliver a bid in a ridiculous inefficient fashion truck...I'd rather you ran your business in a way that didn't drive my cost up & instead paid your workers to be skilled.

Stupid $10/hour trucks exude wasteful inefficiency & insecurity everywhere.
Likes For base2:
Old 03-13-21, 09:59 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 378 Posts
This is why I love my little mazda 5 minivan, the front grill always looks like its smiling. Its seen throw up, left over food, smelly equipment, muddy bikes, soaking wet snowshoes, muddy cyclocross parking lots, and even been damaged by a tractor trailer but it always looks happy like life's an adventure. And after 140k miles it still gets on the highway faster then it needs to. I don't get angry looking cars.

If that's not big enough to be safe because larger vehicles are too large; then there needs to be more regulation, not an arms race in vehicle size. The fact that personal vehicles and US sized semis share the same highways is actually asinine in terms of safety.
Although I'm not certain there's a solution to the semi I do think there should be reductions in truck sizes, extra taxes on trucks that are over a certain size. At least new cars are getting safer even as the trucks get bigger. Was driving the wife's mazda 3 when I was rear ended on the highway by a jeep grand cherokee, hit me hard enough to drive me into the car in front and ultimately totaled the car. But my daughter and I were completely unharmed, no whiplash even, and we were able to drive off the highway and the 5 miles to home. The Jeep's engine went through its radiator and it had to be towed. Car held its own.

Some serious wisdom there.
Old 03-13-21, 10:15 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2442 Post(s)
Liked 1,213 Times in 786 Posts
Remember back when guys had big V8 coupes? Monte Carlos and GTO’s or whatever? Brodozers are just the 21st century version.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-13-21, 10:43 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,461 Posts
That does it I’m going to 5.7 400 HP Hemi all of you. Get out of the way I’m on a beer and ice run! Actually I travel in a Honda CRV with bike inside and 32mpg. Gotta have the truck for towing stuff like trailers, camper and boat. The CRV is the travelmobile....
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 03-13-21, 10:49 PM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Remember back when guys had big V8 coupes? Monte Carlos and GTO’s or whatever? Brodozers are just the 21st century version.
There was The Car, we're all now waiting for the sequel, The Truck.

Likes For roundypndr:
Old 03-13-21, 11:00 PM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
I have a video of my reflection in someone's Dodge truck grille, I knew he was close, but I didn't know how close until I reviewed the video later that day. I'm glad we didn't get to the third date.
Likes For roundypndr:
Old 03-14-21, 11:00 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 356 Posts
I've got nothing against P/U trucks. That is if you need one. I always get a chuckle when some jacked-up, multi shock, oversized tire beast of a truck pulls up next to me. I'm thinking is this guy expecting trouble? Unless it's functional, it's a toy.
Old 03-14-21, 03:39 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 10654 Post(s)
Liked 2,681 Times in 1,850 Posts
Only two things matter to me in a vehicle. Cost and reliability. I'm fine with the smallest thing I can fit in. If it only had bench seats like a school bus and an interior I could hose out that would be awesome too. Don't need air or media devices either, not even a radio. Manual locks and windows, just fine. All I want is a basic tool that just works. I wish there was more of a market for vehicles like that.
Air and media is nice for long trips... but otherwise... I tend to agree...

My old truck is suffering from a number of "fancy feature failures" due to rain leaking beyond seals into the electronic control panel. Of course this part is difficult to access (expensive) and rare (specific to VIN) and doesn't start to show problems until beyond repair (replacement only). Some of the more interesting failures are periodic intermittent window control, or electric lock control, check engine light, alarms, interior and bed lights that won't go off... and the worst, uncontrollable windshield wipers... the latter which I bypassed with a hard simple switch.
Old 03-14-21, 04:26 PM
late

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 10482 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 471 Posts
There were size limits on cars passed in the 70s. Not sure if they apply to trucks, but they should.

They should then be enforced.

Reason 536,297 why we need a Carbon Tax...
Likes For late:
Old 03-14-21, 05:25 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by base2 View Post
Nothing says: "Not going to get the contract." Like showing up to my house to deliver a bid in a ridiculous inefficient fashion truck...I'd rather you ran your business in a way that didn't drive my cost up & instead paid your workers to be skilled.

Stupid $10/hour trucks exude wasteful inefficiency & insecurity everywhere.
Wow, what a great article. I currently own a 25+ year-old Toyota Tacoma that I use to haul all sorts of things, most recently a load of pea gravel. It's reliable, gets reasonable mileage, and has such great utility value that you'd think I would never part with it. Not so. I have frequent daydreams about how great a new truck would be - something with a big engine to haul the RV trailer I don't have, better seating for the folks that never ride with me, and really nice paint to highlight the overfill of the latest load of mulch or gravel. Heaven help me rid myself of these ideas.

More topical: Could anyone call this truck's visage menacing? With 800 HP it's a beast.

Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 03-14-21, 05:48 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2002 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 617 Posts
Originally Posted by late View Post
There were size limits on cars passed in the 70s. Not sure if they apply to trucks, but they should.

They should then be enforced.

Reason 536,297 why we need a Carbon Tax...
those OVERSIZED 4 door long beds should require CDLs
Old 03-14-21, 06:31 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost View Post
Wow, what a great article. I currently own a 25+ year-old Toyota Tacoma that I use to haul all sorts of things, most recently a load of pea gravel. It's reliable, gets reasonable mileage, and has such great utility value that you'd think I would never part with it. Not so. I have frequent daydreams about how great a new truck would be - something with a big engine to haul the RV trailer I don't have, better seating for the folks that never ride with me, and really nice paint to highlight the overfill of the latest load of mulch or gravel. Heaven help me rid myself of these ideas.

More topical: Could anyone call this truck's visage menacing? With 800 HP it's a beast.

What is that? Something electric?
Old 03-14-21, 07:09 PM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked 571 Times in 401 Posts
My truck days are over.

I've owned F150's, F250's, and one F350 over the last 25 years. The last truck I purchased in new 2011 was an F150, and I paid over $40k for it. The same truck today would be over $60k. Now that I'm retired, I got to trim the fat and the first thing to go was my rusty 2011 F150. It was getting seriously bad to the point it was failing annual inspections. So I flipped for a 2020 Ridgeline, which I have only put on 2800 miles since I bought it new in October 2020. Not long. Not many miles. It sheds new light on the fact that I don't need it, and now I'm considering getting something that I can drive without the consideration that I've got $35k-worth of vehicle that I use very little. Couple that with the fact that its so nice that I dont want to use it for fear of scratching something... *sigh* ...I'd rather just have a beater that runs good.

This means getting something made before 1988 in order not to have much in the way of electronic garbage added. Finding a suitable vehicle of that vintage is a difficult task up here in rust country. I'd have to go to Texas or somewhere in the Southwest to find a rust-free vehicle and have it shipped here. Might be worth it, considering the outrageous prices of new vehicles these days. I don't see how it is sustainable or affordable by any middle-class folk.

I'm very disappointed being caught between what I like and what I can afford and am willing to drive.
Old 03-14-21, 07:23 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Trek 770, Trek 760, Schwinn Paramount, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 437 Posts
Higgs,
My 1995 Chevy truck is on second engine and still going ok it has over 230k and had a complete rework of the drive train. But the door pins are starting to go and the cancer is all over the place. I suspect the body will rot off before the rest of it gives way. I'm keeping it for now but something smaller and more economical is going to be the next priority. I am tired of working hard and I am going to start working smarter. Smiles, MH
Old 03-14-21, 09:30 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 10654 Post(s)
Liked 2,681 Times in 1,850 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth View Post
Says Rivian right on the side... small text, just aft of the front wheel. About 67K.

https://rivian.com/
Old 03-15-21, 04:58 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked 571 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk View Post
Higgs,
My 1995 Chevy truck is on second engine and still going ok it has over 230k and had a complete rework of the drive train. But the door pins are starting to go and the cancer is all over the place. I suspect the body will rot off before the rest of it gives way. I'm keeping it for now but something smaller and more economical is going to be the next priority. I am tired of working hard and I am going to start working smarter. Smiles, MH
There's a big thread about trucks over on the Paceline forum. Many people are sick of the state of trucks in this country. Too big. Too fancy.

I proposed to my wife in the summer of 1976. We enlisted in the USAF. We got married on a Saturday in 1977, and by Monday morning we're on the plane headed for Lackland AFB, San Antonio, Tx. Fast forward a couple months, and we were in our tech school up in Wichita Falls. There was no housing on base for couples back then, and no such thing as co-ed barracks, so we had to live off base. Simply put, we needed some wheels. We got a 36 month loan from our bank back home and bought a 1977 Chevy LUV truck. The loan was $127 per month. Man, that truck was sweet. So cute. Essentially a rebadged Isuzu, it was no frills and it just purred like a sewing machine. Over the years, being young and tough, we drove it from Texas to Maine and back three times without a single hiccup. That little LUV didnt even have A/C. It didnt seem that we needed it. Come to think of it, our house in Del Rio had no A/C either. I guess the normal people never had it back then.

Anyhow, I just don't see why no auto manufacturers offer little trucks anymore. So utilitarian. So easy to own. Sorry to bore you all with my lamentations. It would seem that I've grown old all of a sudden and longing for the good old days.
Old 03-15-21, 06:02 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 529 Posts
Small weeners and mucho overcompensating.
Rest of the world carries loads on things that actually make sense, 4 and 6 cylinder flat tray diesel trucks with drop sides.
Similar thing like those "off road buggy" 4wds like the Raptor. All about the image, not much use in reality.
Old 03-15-21, 07:58 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth View Post
Yep. Quad engined - one at each wheel. Really pricey

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.