Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling and music

Old 03-22-21, 12:28 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Oh the irony in those two sentences.
I was going for juxtaposition, more than irony. The beauty of it all is that nobody's forcing you to listen to music, and nobody's forcing me to take my earbud out, and we're both happy doing what we love to do, the way we want to do it.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 03-22-21, 12:45 PM
stephr1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
I prefer riding without music, wired or wireless. I want to hear the sounds of nature all around me: wind across my ears, birds chirping a morning greeting, the rush of water thru the creek as I pass over it. I occasionally ride near the SF Bay so there's all those wonderful "noises" (ducks, geese, avocets, herons, egrets, eagles, etc, as well). I do hear vehicles since I am on the streets for most of my morning bike rides, but I start near sun up so there are fewer nutso drivers on the road (once we get this pandemic under control then it's back to the mup for a part of my route). It's also kind of nice to hear the machines and equipment when I pass by construction areas and the rush of cars on the freeway...kind of like white noise.

If I wore headphones safety could be a bigger issue, but I always turn my head to see who/what's coming from behind me so I'm sure it's safe to head for a center turn lane. I guess without headphones in my ears I can also (usually) tell when cars are coming from behind me on the road (and can usually guess how far away they are).

As for others, choose your own nirvana What does piss me off is the rare occasion when someone is riding with a boom box and ruins my ability to enjoy my ride. Again tho, given the time I go, that has become much less of a problem.

Last edited by stephr1; 03-22-21 at 01:53 PM.
Likes For stephr1:
Old 03-22-21, 01:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,484 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I was going for juxtaposition, more than irony. The beauty of it all is that nobody's forcing you to listen to music, and nobody's forcing me to take my earbud out, and we're both happy doing what we love to do, the way we want to do it.
"Why would I want to ruin experiences like these by listening to music?"

"One man's ruined experience, is another's enhanced experience. Why WOULDN'T you want to accentuate these rides with your favorite music?"

See the difference?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-22-21, 01:29 PM
leadholder

Bikes: Ritchey Road, 72 Windsor Pro, 94 Bridgestone MB1, 98 Kona Explosif, bunch of old Schwinns.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Some enjoy listening to music while bicycling.
Some don’t enjoy listening to music while bicycling. In my experience I find more solo cyclists listening to music while riding. Seldom do I find cyclist in group rides listening to music while riding. I prefer to ride solo mostly but don’t listen to music while doing so. I feel safer not listening to music while riding. In group rides I enjoy talking to others while riding. I also feel it is important to be able to communicate with fellow cyclists in group rides mainly for safety. I don’t care if you choose to listen to music while or don’t. It’s up to the individual.
Old 03-22-21, 01:33 PM
mrMike88

Bikes: Spalding Blade Vintage 12-speed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I always ride listening to something: music, radio or an audio book. I never have trouble with traffic noise; I can always hear it and I'm super watchful of my mirror. Plus, at least half of my riding is on the bike paths around where I live, or residential streets. I use earbuds (connected); I haven't invested in a good pair of Bluetooth earbuds yet but soon.
Likes For mrMike88:
Old 03-22-21, 01:35 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
cycling and music go together like lamb and tuna fish
Old 03-22-21, 02:01 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Oh the irony in those two sentences.
"Why would I want to ruin experiences like these by listening to music?"

"One man's ruined experience, is another's enhanced experience. Why WOULDN'T you want to accentuate these rides with your favorite music?"

See the difference?
You used yourself as the subject of your question (which no one could possibly answer but you, yet you still asked it), and I simply followed up with also using you as the subject of the flip-side of the same rhetorical question, which again, only you can answer.
Old 03-22-21, 02:25 PM
chancelucky

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
I used earbuds for many years, though mostly on multi use trails that were car free. I recently picked up a Tribit Stormbox Micro; it's a small
bluetooth speaker with a rubber strap for handlebars or top tube of my bike. I mostly use it for audiobooks, but it's worked out really well.
I find it actually helps on a multi-use path because people can hear me coming, even though I keep it at a moderate volume. So far, it's the
best solution that I've found.
Likes For chancelucky:
Old 03-22-21, 02:28 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
NO matter what you listen, SOME people will not like it. You may think it's great: there's a really good chance that I would more than mildly disagree. There is so much music available to listen to. In countless styles, from every era of recorded history, from all over the globe.
Whatever it is that you think is NOT annoying easily could be.
So, you do not agree with the freedom to listen to music as I ride by you?
Or what?
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 03-22-21, 02:36 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Please don't wear head phones or ear buds while you ride because you won't hear me yelling "on your left!" as I pass you. Thank you.

"I'm on your left!"
Likes For Jan Feetz:
Old 03-22-21, 03:08 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
So, you do not agree with the freedom to listen to music as I ride by you?
Or what?
Oh you're free to listen to whatever you want.
And I'm free to think you're rude and insensitive for making others listent to it.
I get really annoyed when I'm inflicted with other people's music, whether they're on a bike, a motorcycle (those guys are the worst, as the play at a volume you can hear for blocks), a car, the next apartment, etc. I only want to listen to music that I choose, when I choose. I can guarantee you: you wouldn't like a lot of music I listen to. But I no better than to push it on other people.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 03-22-21, 04:57 PM
holder66

Bikes: Da Vinci Grand Junction tandem, Miele Gara, Giant Cypress LX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In Quebec, the law reads:
"443.2. A cyclist may not wear any earphones. The driver of a road vehicle may wear only one earphone.
For the purposes of the first paragraph, devices that are integrated into a protective helmet and allow the persons wearing them to communicate with each other without preventing them from hearing surrounding traffic noises are not earphones."
Basically, this is interpreted as: a cyclist may not ride while wearing earphones or headphones that cover one or both ears.
So when I started riding a tandem with my wife, we got a Cardo BK-1 system which is similar to the BT/communications systems used by motorcyclists, except meant for bicycle helmets. The speakers are on flexible cables which allow them to be positioned close to the ears but not cover them. So I can listen to music or radio, make phone calls, etc all while still able to hear what's going on around me.
Old 03-22-21, 06:40 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I sewed BT speakers at the straps of my helmet. They don't cover my ears.

They're just close enough to my ears so I can listen to music in privacy but not too close and not too loud they drown out traffic noise.

I listen mainly to crossover jazz music and the musical selections in GCN
What gage and color thread did you use?
Old 03-22-21, 10:41 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts
And I'm free to think you're rude and insensitive for making others listent to it.
I get really annoyed when I'm inflicted with other people's music, whether they're on a bike, a motorcycle (those guys are the worst, as the play at a volume you can hear for blocks), a car, the next apartment, etc. I only want to listen to music that I choose, when I choose. I can guarantee you: you wouldn't like a lot of music I listen to. But I no better than to push it on other people.
That's a shame. Some of us enjoy the ride and it seems others want to judge everyone they pass.
Cheers
Old 03-22-21, 11:06 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Same here, but I use generic bluetooth buds. But the point being, I don't blast my ear drums drowning out everything around me. As a benchmark, because of wind noise, I can't hear the music after about 15-20 mph, maybe even slower. Similar to the point in which the wind noise would pretty much obscure traffic noise for me. And, at that point, I really do think the ear buds make traffic noise more discernable. I've thought about that quite a bit. The theory I have come up with is that wind noise makes it harder to distinguish traffic noise than does music and to the extent that the ear buds cut that down in favor of hearing music, it improves that aspect of hearing for me. It works for me anyway.
Never have a problem hearing traffic because my riding speed is between 10-15mph so I never hit that point where wind noise drowns out car noise.
Old 03-22-21, 11:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
So... nobody here (hear) has enough imagination to turn on the music in your head anytime you want it? No headphones required.
even in my head, I am not a good singer.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-22-21, 11:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
As with many people reading a book, focus on one thing (music) can zone you out to other things. I'm guessing it's not the same for everyone but I won't take the chance. I don't want my senses dulled or my reactions delayed.
It's safe to assume you don't drive and listen to music or drive and talk with a passenger since both those lead to possibly zoning out and/or dulling senses.

There is no difference between listening to music in a car and listening to it on a bike. In fact, the car dulls senses more since it insulates sound. On a bike even with ear buds, I can hear everything around me.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-22-21, 11:24 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by stuff shredman
When mountain biking, I don't listen to music. I enjoy the quiet peacefulness of the forest on the climbs, and I like to hear what's going on w my tires on the descent.
I'm all for personal freedoms and choice, but I don't like it when other mtb'ers have a boom box in their camelbak, because I have to hear that crap for too long as tunes often carry a long ways in canyons. And, I'm not a fan of folks wearing earbuds on the descents, either, because on single tracks descents ... I'll call out "rider back" or "on your left" when overtaking, and I need people to hear me

For road riding, I'm with you on this one. My behavior wouldn't change. I take the lane when a road is too narrow, and couldn't give a nickel if a car is behind me. They have to figure a safe place to pass. If I'm riding in a place where I'd be on the shoulder, but have to swing into a lane to get around a parked car or obstacle, I'll just take a quick peek over my shoulder to see if a car is approaching. Some of these new EV's are so quiet anyway, I wouldn't rely on sound.
I had a neighbor years ago who wouldn't move to the side of the road for passing cars. He has been dead for several decades now having been unceremoniously run over by a car while riding in the middle of the road exercising his legal right to be there. I came to call that event His "dead right" event. He had every legal right to be riding there and he was dead because of riding there. I always move out of the way of overtaking cars on very narrow two lane roads. If that means I pull over and stop, so be it. I don't want to be "dead right". In fact I always defer to autos/trucks and anything with lots of steel and speed that can hit my soft easily harmed body. I call that my "They always have the right of way if they want it" rule no matter how right I am legally.
Old 03-23-21, 12:05 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
how many of you drive a car/truck without the radio/bluetooth phone music on?
Old 03-23-21, 12:28 AM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
I had a neighbor years ago who wouldn't move to the side of the road for passing cars. He has been dead for several decades now having been unceremoniously run over by a car while riding in the middle of the road exercising his legal right to be there. I came to call that event His "dead right" event. He had every legal right to be riding there and he was dead because of riding there. I always move out of the way of overtaking cars on very narrow two lane roads. If that means I pull over and stop, so be it. I don't want to be "dead right". In fact I always defer to autos/trucks and anything with lots of steel and speed that can hit my soft easily harmed body. I call that my "They always have the right of way if they want it" rule no matter how right I am legally.
It's my belief that you're more likely to be injured or killed if you don't take the lane. So, yes, there's a chance I could end up "dead right", but there's a much much larger chance I'd end up dead by inviting cars and trucks to squeeze by and make unsafe passes. I've tried both methods over my decades on the road and there's no question in my mind which is the safer option. Take care and stay safe.
Old 03-23-21, 12:45 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
’inflicted with other people’s music’
Old 03-23-21, 03:07 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Now who wouldn't want to listen to my Michael Bolton blaring from my bluetooth?
Old 03-23-21, 03:29 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
how many of you drive a car/truck without the radio/bluetooth phone music on?
I don't drive with music on. I'm just too busy thinking and watching the world.
Old 03-23-21, 03:35 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
’inflicted with other people’s music’
I can't imagine a cyclists' music being intrusive. But, if you've ever hung out in the urban area closest to where I live you'd know exactly how that feels. Between the blaring music coming from Harleys, the young Puerto Rican kids blasting Spanish songs and the rap music, it's enough to make you nuts. Especially when you are eating outside on Main St. and just trying to enjoy conversation over dinner.
Old 03-23-21, 05:40 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Never wanted earbuds for safety reasons, and I find speakers obnoxious. I’ve been thinking of getting some bone-conductor headphones for running. I might try them for short workout rides.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.