Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Forgive me fellow C&Vers, but I have sinned

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Forgive me fellow C&Vers, but I have sinned

Old 03-24-21, 06:22 AM
  #51  
Classtime 
Senior Member
 
Classtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,851

Bikes: 81 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 328 Posts
Anything Ritchie is worthy but the brifters should be replaced with Dura Ace bar ends. I'm looking forward to the "New fork for the Breakaway" thread.

Milwaukee Road in need of a fork.
__________________
I don't do: disks, tubeless, e-shifting, or bead head nymphs.
Classtime is offline  
Likes For Classtime:
Old 03-24-21, 10:37 AM
  #52  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,477

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1033 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 939 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel View Post
I think anything is better than the fork that's on it now. Thank goodness the bike is in your hands now! You can both rectify it aesthetically and functionally. The fork's color could even match. The possibilities!
Glossy black is easy to match. Oddly, it's the only glossy black part on the bike, perhaps this wasn't the original fork?

Originally Posted by northbend View Post
What a great looking fork crown! You should totally build a new fork for your Ritchey.

As for your sin, now.
No worries..
I think with all the good works that you're done for us C&V'rs you must certainly have been awarded an Indulgence.
I'm not sure about that, I've already been banished by an abbot. @Andy_K can explain.
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Old 03-24-21, 11:07 AM
  #53  
squirtdad
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 7,736

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) '82 nishiski,

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 523 Posts
I think as atonement for your sins, you need to create a custom stem that looks more C&V. but it would be far worse if it had a carbon fork. Ride it like a fast zombie is chasing you and enjoy
__________________
Life is too short not to ride the best bike you have, as much as you can
squirtdad is offline  
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-24-21, 11:22 AM
  #54  
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger
 
RiddleOfSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,908

Bikes: 1985 Trek 620 - 1982 Trek 728

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
Glossy black is easy to match. Oddly, it's the only glossy black part on the bike, perhaps this wasn't the original fork?
I was implying that the new fork you make could match the frame's color, not the black of the current fork. As to the fork's originality, I've seen plenty of unicrown forks mated to frames in a non-form-matching way (diameter of the fork blades is much less than the headtube, and has a welded pedestal to create the base for the crown race and "match" the headtube diameter), even on modern bikes. So who knows.
RiddleOfSteel is offline  
Old 03-24-21, 11:23 AM
  #55  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 8,393

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,229 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad View Post
I think as atonement for your sins, you need to create a custom stem that looks more C&V. but it would be far worse if it had a carbon fork. Ride it like a fast zombie is chasing you and enjoy
I second the custom stem motion, quill, chrome, etc.
merziac is offline  
Old 03-24-21, 11:31 AM
  #56  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,477

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1033 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 939 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel View Post
I was implying that the new fork you make could match the frame's color, not the black of the current fork. As to the fork's originality, I've seen plenty of unicrown forks mated to frames in a non-form-matching way (diameter of the fork blades is much less than the headtube, and has a welded pedestal to create the base for the crown race and "match" the headtube diameter), even on modern bikes. So who knows.
As our resident design expert, match grey on the fork?
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Old 03-24-21, 12:02 PM
  #57  
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger
 
RiddleOfSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,908

Bikes: 1985 Trek 620 - 1982 Trek 728

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
As our resident design expert, match grey on the fork?
Matching the grey would look just fine, as would matching the orange. Like we see in '80s paint schemes, but adapted to a Y2K era bike, it seems things are "fading" from orange in the front to grey in the back, graphically. The color blocs as graphics allows a grey fork to "work" just fine, and the "color fade" of the frame overall allows an orange fork. A win either way, IMO. The grey is likely easier to match, and a grey fork carries the additional advantage of not being next to a grey headtube--if the greys didn't match, we'd see it, but if they are given a little distance between each other, a slight variation in shade between the two is either unnoticeable or not a big deal.
RiddleOfSteel is offline  
Old 03-24-21, 12:13 PM
  #58  
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 39,989

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 486 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6909 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 991 Posts
@USAZorro, what did you dislike about your Cross Check? I had two. The first one, I equipped with very light wheels, and that balanced the bike out to a nice-riding machine. It was too big, so I swapped it for a smaller size, and I built it up differently with heavier wheels. It was boring and slow. The weights of the frame and fork were unforgivable, so I sold that one, too.

As for concessions to modern elements, I've conceded most of those on @gugie's new bike but not on all one bike. I have a couple of tig-welded bikes. I have had a threadless headset, and they are practical and nice to work on, but they are usually (but not always) ugly. I've had a sloping top tube, and I don't think that's so bad. Most of my bikes have brifters, and I won't apologize for that, because I love them. I haven't had couplers yet, and I think they're terrific, no need to apologize for. I have not owned a carbon fiber frame, but I might one day.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 03-24-21, 12:32 PM
  #59  
USAZorro
Señor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 16,991

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
@USAZorro, what did you dislike about your Cross Check? I had two. The first one, I equipped with very light wheels, and that balanced the bike out to a nice-riding machine. It was too big, so I swapped it for a smaller size, and I built it up differently with heavier wheels. It was boring and slow. The weights of the frame and fork were unforgivable, so I sold that one, too.

As for concessions to modern elements, I've conceded most of those on @gugie's new bike but not on all one bike. I have a couple of tig-welded bikes. I have had a threadless headset, and they are practical and nice to work on, but they are usually (but not always) ugly. I've had a sloping top tube, and I don't think that's so bad. Most of my bikes have brifters, and I won't apologize for that, because I love them. I haven't had couplers yet, and I think they're terrific, no need to apologize for. I have not owned a carbon fiber frame, but I might one day.

It was a Long Haul Trucker. It was "boring and slow" and also rather heavy. I got it because I wanted to try randonneuring, and while it was very stable and had every conceivable fitting and mounting on it, it was exhausting to get uphill (and the Potomac Randonneurs seemed to have a hard-on for mixing in every possible short, steep climb in amongst their longer leg-breakers - 11,000+ feet of climbing over a 200K anyone?). It came nowhere near comporting itself the way that bicycles that Jan Heine had been reviewing. Senor Ramos met me for a ride at Gettysburg one day, liked it enough (as a small child trailer puller) that he traded me two imported frames for it. I built up the "Colnago" (which may or may not have really been one) for my son. He rode it once and had no interest in continuing riding, so I ended up moving those along - using the proceeds to acquire what is now my gugified, Competizione, and a Viking Severn Valley - which also ultimately failed the "this is a randonneuse" test.

The 1954 Hetchin's which I passed along had a lovely, an age-appropriate, threadless headset which wasn't a bit out of place and had positive aesthetics. Now gone for 3+ years though. I have a few brifter-equipped amongst the armada, and they are nice. They are my second choice behind bar-ends as a generalization, but it's hard to imagine the Bob Jackson or the "Hippy Bike" without them. Aluminum and carbon bicycles though... still a hard pass here. Sloping top tube? Well, I am still looking for a mixte frame to put on my trainer. It would get a lot more use than the current arrangement which requires wall climbing and superior balance skills to mount.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 03-24-21, 02:17 PM
  #60  
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger
 
RiddleOfSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,908

Bikes: 1985 Trek 620 - 1982 Trek 728

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 561 Posts
@gugie I did some quick Photoshopping of both a grey and orange fork.

The grey fork looks completely at home on this bike given the graphic theme of the frame. Good news!


The orange fork looks even better, to me that is. Here you can see the orange-to-grey "fade" or "gradient" at work. I'd choose this route, but honestly, IMO, you can't lose with either.
RiddleOfSteel is offline  
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 03-24-21, 02:23 PM
  #61  
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 13,229

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 395 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2311 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
Glossy black is easy to match. Oddly, it's the only glossy black part on the bike, perhaps this wasn't the original fork?
I was curious about this, so I did some Googling. It sounds like it would have originally come with a carbon fork, so it's good that you got steel, even if it does have a unicrown -- baby steps. I did read one comment that suggested it might have also been sold without the fork. If you're feeling really heretical, the original carbon fork is available. It might be hard to re-rake or braze things on to though. I stand by my suggestion that you should build a new fork with a biplane crown. Then maybe design a rinko front rack, something that folds flat but attaches quickly.
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline  
Likes For Andy_K:
Old 03-24-21, 02:28 PM
  #62  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,477

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1033 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 939 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel View Post
@gugie I did some quick Photoshopping of both a grey and orange fork.
The grey fork looks completely at home on this bike given the graphic theme of the frame. Good news!
The orange fork looks even better, to me that is. Here you can see the orange-to-grey "fade" or "gradient" at work. I'd choose this route, but honestly, IMO, you can't lose with either.
Since I'm building a front rack for it as well, perhaps grey would be a better choice? Also, as you note, easier to match with fewer consequences if it's off a bit.

Email sent about matching color and gloss.
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Likes For gugie:
Old 03-24-21, 02:42 PM
  #63  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,477

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1033 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 939 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel View Post
I think anything is better than the fork that's on it now. Thank goodness the bike is in your hands now! You can both rectify it aesthetically and functionally. The fork's color could even match. The possibilities!
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
I was curious about this, so I did some Googling. It sounds like it would have originally come with a carbon fork, so it's good that you got steel, even if it does have a unicrown -- baby steps. I did read one comment that suggested it might have also been sold without the fork. If you're feeling really heretical, the original carbon fork is available. It might be hard to re-rake or braze things on to though. I stand by my suggestion that you should build a new fork with a biplane crown. Then maybe design a rinko front rack, something that folds flat but attaches quickly.


So, went to the Strawberry site, as I'd seen that fork crown before and figured I'd build a frame around it someday. I ordered it along with some incidentals, and found that local pickup was available. Downtown Portland is 20 minute from work, so I took off early and met Andy Newland and his two Lagotto Romagnolo dogs Fausto and Alba. I was invited into the Inner Sanctum, we sat and talked for a few hours about all things bici, then got a quick tour of the shop. I was tempted to buy some Marchetti framebuilding tools, but my pickup isn't rated for that kind of weight. Framebuilder Supply was out of the lugged dropouts I wanted to use, Nova Cycle had them, so I ordered. The pre-bent fork blades that Framebuilder Supply sells are exactly what I was looking for, nice curve, light, but not too light. I also bought a steerer from them, so I'm good to go to make a fork. Small bits for cantilevers, rack mounts, etc. I've got in spades. Rack also per your suggestion, Andy.

Torch, stat!
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Old 03-24-21, 10:39 PM
  #64  
Classtime 
Senior Member
 
Classtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,851

Bikes: 81 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 328 Posts
Shoot! Am I too late to suggest a segmented fork for the Ritchie? Save that fork crown for that other frame you were dreaming up.
__________________
I don't do: disks, tubeless, e-shifting, or bead head nymphs.
Classtime is offline  
Old 03-24-21, 11:24 PM
  #65  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,477

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1033 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 939 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime View Post
Shoot! Am I too late to suggest a segmented fork for the Ritchie? Save that fork crown for that other frame you were dreaming up.
Segmented forks just look a bit too Frankenstein for my taste, and I know where I can get more of those fork crowns if I want, but they're too narrow for 42+ and fenders.
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Likes For gugie:
Old 03-25-21, 01:17 AM
  #66  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 8,393

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,229 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
Segmented forks just look a bit too Frankenstein for my taste, and I know where I can get more of those fork crowns if I want, but they're too narrow for 42+ and fenders.
You gotta go to 650B for more clearance, that's what they were originally designed for, still probably can't get to 42 and fenders.
merziac is offline  
Old 03-25-21, 05:22 AM
  #67  
nlerner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,688
Mentioned: 362 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2397 Post(s)
Liked 2,273 Times in 1,125 Posts
Well, I’m glad you’re rolling your own on the fork, but in case you change your mind there’s this index:

https://bikepacking.com/index/forks-...e-cage-mounts/

Measure your A/C, stat!
nlerner is offline  
Old 03-25-21, 08:57 AM
  #68  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,477

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1033 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 939 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
You gotta go to 650B for more clearance, that's what they were originally designed for, still probably can't get to 42 and fenders.
That would be a major change to the entire bike. In reality, I have room for maybe 700c x 44 tires on this frame without fenders. 700c x 35's is a good sweet spot for road/occassional gravel. Remove the fenders, swap out the tires, I've got a really good gravel bike. The only thing missing would be disk brakes for long, steep downhills, but I've got a bike for that already.
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Old 03-25-21, 09:01 AM
  #69  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,477

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1033 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 939 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner View Post
Well, I’m glad you’re rolling your own on the fork, but in case you change your mind there’s this index:

https://bikepacking.com/index/forks-...e-cage-mounts/

Measure your A/C, stat!
Hadn't thought of putting 3 cage mounts on the fork, I'll add that to the list!

Way ahead of you with dimensions. I've already done a back of the envelope design for the fork, I need to pull it for a more precise measurement. Gotta know the head tube angle as well, since I'm shooting for 40-45mm of trail.
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Old 03-25-21, 01:50 PM
  #70  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 8,393

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,229 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
That would be a major change to the entire bike. In reality, I have room for maybe 700c x 44 tires on this frame without fenders. 700c x 35's is a good sweet spot for road/occassional gravel. Remove the fenders, swap out the tires, I've got a really good gravel bike. The only thing missing would be disk brakes for long, steep downhills, but I've got a bike for that already.


Oh I get it, I was lucky Dave was willing to use them on my bike and made them work very well since I had to have the short calipers and 32's, he of course said what about fenders. I don't plan on them but could always do the reach around if I wanted.
merziac is offline  
Old 03-25-21, 02:14 PM
  #71  
browngw 
Senior Member
 
browngw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Dover Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,423

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1971 Robin Hood Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 1979 Raleigh DL1, 1984 Rossi, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2012 Giant Halfway Folder, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 122 Posts
Thou art forgiven for modern steel. My "real" bike is a very comfortable 2014 Salsa Vaya with a triple Sora setup running 700x38c tires with fenders. I bought it new as it captured my idea of an adventure bike and it hasn't let me down. When I ride in local tours, I usually choose a classic. It creates lots of conversation, reinforces my reputation as a retrogrouch, and provides an excuse for being slow.

__________________
We are what we reflect. We are the changes that we bring to this world. Ride often. -Geo.-
browngw is offline  
Likes For browngw:
Old 03-25-21, 07:33 PM
  #72  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,477

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1033 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 939 Posts
With some help from @RiddleOfSteel and an email to Ritchey's galactic headquarters, colors have been ascertained. The orange is Pantone 159, the grey is Pantone 431 for those keeping score at home. Powder colors don't come in Pantone, but I found a Pantone to RAL converter. Pantone 431 is equivalent to RAL 7005, I couldn't find an orange equivalent for 159, but after some back and forth emails with Dan, grey sounded like the safer bet anyways for match.

When I got home my Framebuilder Supply package had arrived, so I pulled the torch out and made the fork crown and steerer one.


Need to slather on more flux nex time to save time on the cleanup!

The lug type fork dropouts won't arrive from Nova Cycles until tomorrow, they'll mate to the blades, then blades to fork crown. Add a few small bits and drop it off at the powder coater. Sounds quick and easy, I'll probably get it done in 2-6 weeks.

Also in the Ritchey email was confirmation that the frame was sold with a carbon fiber fork, so the steel one was aftermarket.
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Last edited by gugie; 03-25-21 at 07:46 PM.
gugie is offline  
Old 03-25-21, 07:41 PM
  #73  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 8,393

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,229 Posts
And that my friends if whats known as "getting after it".
merziac is offline  
Old 03-25-21, 09:50 PM
  #74  
nlerner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,688
Mentioned: 362 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2397 Post(s)
Liked 2,273 Times in 1,125 Posts
And you’re gonna go for disc front and canti rear brake, right?
nlerner is offline  
Old 03-25-21, 11:19 PM
  #75  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,477

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1033 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 939 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner View Post
And you’re gonna go for disc front and canti rear brake, right?
discs and cantis front and rear. Belt & suspenders ftw!
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.