Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever been sold a fake?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-30-21, 01:24 AM
CalebPlewe

Bikes: Trek 7.1 FX, Giant OCR3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I am looking to buy new tires online bc the LBS is just too expensive. I've found some good looking deals online but some just seem too good to be true. I've accidentally bought fake stuff online before and it sucks. So what websites do yall trust? I'm looking at planetcyclery.com and probikekit.com right now. Any other suggestions?
Old 03-30-21, 03:03 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3060 Post(s)
Liked 6,384 Times in 3,695 Posts
biketiresdirect
merlin cycles
wiggle
ribble
jensonusa
performancebike
bikenashbar
treefortbikes

Old 03-30-21, 06:00 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Lordgun has been among the best pricing for higher end tires this spring, if you're buying enough to overcome the $20-25 shipping cost (three is usually more than enough). I haven't looked at less expensive tires - they might not be as good with the shipping factored in.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-30-21, 06:36 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
They only seem like scams because many local bike shops are far more expensive.

Merlin,Chain reaction, Wiggle, Pro bike kit, Jensen, Competitive cyclist, Bike Closet are all legit.

Merlin used to be the best, but something changed with their shipping to the U.S. and you have to spend quite a bit before it’s free now.
Likes For Greatestalltime:
Old 03-30-21, 09:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6101 Post(s)
Liked 4,736 Times in 3,265 Posts
My last couple tire purchases have been from Bike Closet. I've been happy with the GP 5000's I've gotten from them. They are on all my bikes now and my sons road bike.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-30-21, 10:40 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Lordgun has been among the best pricing for higher end tires this spring, if you're buying enough to overcome the $20-25 shipping cost (three is usually more than enough). I haven't looked at less expensive tires - they might not be as good with the shipping factored in.
I had never heard of them and the name was a bit of a put off but I bought a DA cassette at an unreal price as they seemed legit. I was not disappointed, good service.
Likes For popeye:
Old 03-30-21, 10:49 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I’ve bought some listings that were in error. But usually if a legitimate business has an error in their listing, they will either cancel it with apologies or honor it.

There’s obviously scams, but you get nothing, not a counterfeit.

You can also buy counterfeits on purpose, especially Chinese carbon from Ali Express with a Pinarello decal, but that’s a separate issue.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-30-21, 10:53 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
I had never heard of them and the name was a bit of a put off but I bought a DA cassette at an unreal price as they seemed legit. I was not disappointed, good service.
Yeah, I was a little cautious before the first order, too, but they get stuff out in a hurry. My second shipment of tires went from Italy to Minneapolis in two business days - that makes me feel a little better about spending 25 bucks on shipping.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-30-21, 10:56 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by CalebPlewe
I am looking to buy new tires online bc the LBS is just too expensive. I've found some good looking deals online but some just seem too good to be true. I've accidentally bought fake stuff online before and it sucks. So what websites do yall trust? I'm looking at planetcyclery.com and probikekit.com right now. Any other suggestions?
I bought my Oakleys and a pair Corsa G from probikekit.com they were the cheapest at the time, slow delivery (but was last May) but both items legit
Likes For sw20:
Old 03-30-21, 11:39 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
I'm convinced the SPD-SL cleats I got from Ali express are fake but they work fine. Just wear out in about half the time of real ones. 4 pairs for the price of 1 legit set so not a rip-off but won't be buying them again.
Old 03-30-21, 02:21 PM
Difficultocelot

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've found success with bike closet
Likes For Difficultocelot:
Old 03-30-21, 04:21 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1878 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Tires - Clincher / Road Excel Sports | Shop Online From Boulder Colorado

Excel Sports has decent prices on Continental tires, although its current price on GP5000 seems high. I have also bought a Continental GP5000 from Amazon.com where Amazon.com is the seller. I understand that this is not a guaranty against getting a fake because sometimes Amazon commingles stock from different sellers, but the one I got looks pretty legit? (I have not installed it onto my bike yet; plan to do so late spring.)
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 03-30-21, 09:09 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
There are alot of fake continental tubes being sold on amazon. It will have an image instead of the box and it will clearly show seams, but true continental tubes are seamless. I have an email in to continental to address this fraud.
all butyl inner tubes that I know of area seamless.
those tubes are molded in one piece. The only seam is when the 2 ends of the tubes are mellted by heat and joined together.

Last edited by aclinjury; 03-30-21 at 09:19 PM.
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 03-31-21, 12:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,585 Posts
Oh no supporting your local shop is so terrible. Gosh I would much rather risk buying fakes than support local business at a time when it is good to support your local business.

I know there are legitimate online sellers who are authorized to sell those products but still shop local.
Old 03-31-21, 07:57 PM
CalebPlewe

Bikes: Trek 7.1 FX, Giant OCR3

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Well this was all super helpful! (except for @veganbikes haha)

I ended up buying from planetcyclery.com: 2 GP 5000 tires for $89.98 total. That is almost half the price they would've been from the LBS. Plus, they shipped with OnTrac ground which was free and they showed up the next day (from Denver, CO to me in Provo, UT). They seem legit to me, but only the test of time will tell.
Likes For CalebPlewe:
Old 04-01-21, 06:50 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
You won't have any issues if you buy from a reliable source. Merlin Cycle and CCC are two of my preferred ones. As an example, I recently bought a set of Pro Ones and they were 75$ each instead of 150$ at my LBS (backorder!).
Old 04-01-21, 09:25 AM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
most shimano stuff from aliexpress are fake, the price is a dead givaway
Likes For Chi_Z:
Old 04-01-21, 03:17 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I've had success with Competitive Cyclist, Excelsports and Colorado Cyclist.
Old 04-01-21, 03:48 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Well this was all super helpful! (except for @veganbikes haha)

I ended up buying from planetcyclery.com: 2 GP 5000 tires for $89.98 total. That is almost half the price they would've been from the LBS. Plus, they shipped with OnTrac ground which was free and they showed up the next day (from Denver, CO to me in Provo, UT). They seem legit to me, but only the test of time will tell.
It's a complex topic without a quick answer but there are reasons the shop charges what it charges and those reasons aren't a desire for runaway profits at the expense of your wallet. As a company that usually gets OEM pricing on most tires I can tell you that without a doubt if I bought 2 GP 5000's and shipped them to you for $89.98 I would, at best, maybe break even on that sale. "Oh well", right?

Most of us in the industry that are looking towards the future will still sell you tires for a competitive price that makes it make sense for locals to buy them from us and not online. Older, larger or more established shops will not bend on MRSP.

The reality is that this is the OEM's fault. They have created the scenario where these pricing discrepancies exist and have allowed it to continue. On tires it continues unabated.

I've covered it off and on over the years in my podcast. Will be getting back to doing new episodes. 1 about the life of powertap and one about the future of retail in our industry and about how the big OEMs are going to war during this pandemic.

Seldom are there counterfeit tires out there. They do exist but its rare. The thing with tires is that the OEM's will sell tires into multiple channels with multiple opportunities for margin. Large volume dealers that go direct will get huge drops in pricing. Distributors not as much, dealers that buy from distributors even less. EU region pricing structures are completely different, etc. We have a mixed market with piles of grey market stuff from other regions or from OEMs that dump product back on the market.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 04-02-21, 03:58 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Avoid Wish
Old 04-04-21, 08:01 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
I get all my tyres from Merlin Cycles. If they don't have the best prices, they are at least competitive.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-04-21, 08:31 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I bought a frame and fork on fleabay that was described as a 24" wheeled Sears Spyder (Muscle bike, Banana seat bike, and so on).
-After I received the frame/fork. I noticed a large metal tab on the back side of the steering tube.
-After posting pics on a forum, we determined that it was not a Sears Spyder. The purpose of the metal tab was for mounting a tank. its a cruiser frame.
-A serial number check revealed that my frame and fork belonged to a 1961 JC Higgins Flightliner, deluxe, with a two speed kickback wheel.
-I built up the frame/fork with Spyder parts anyway, and I have had a lot of fun with it.
Old 04-04-21, 09:29 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Planet cyclery is legit as is bikecloset:

https://bikecloset.com/product/conti...and-prix-5000/
Old 04-05-21, 03:30 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
There are alot of fake continental tubes being sold on amazon. It will have an image instead of the box and it will clearly show seams, but true continental tubes are seamless. I have an email in to continental to address this fraud.
is this still an issue buying items that are shipped and sold from Amazon?
Old 04-05-21, 04:08 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Duo
is this still an issue buying items that are shipped and sold from Amazon?
Apparently I am an idiot. I thought seamless tubes had no longitudinal ridges. That is wrong..I think ; ). Continental tubes should have threaded and removable valves (make sure presta is removable), but all tubes have the longitudinal ridges.