Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Scott Pro Racing MTB ~1990

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21, 10:26 AM
syang81

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scott Pro Racing MTB ~1990

Hi. I picked up a Scott Pro Racing bike from around 1990, it is mint green in color. I got it some time ago to use as a touring bike and drag our double burley around. It's not that comfortable to ride long distances, the chainstay is too short for me, and its probably too nice to make modifications to, particularly for my skill level. I think Im going to sell it, can anyone suggest what a good price would be? The seller said it was a special bike and asked if I was a collector. I am not a collector so I have no idea what it would be worth. I think new back in 1990s it was about $2000. The condition is fair, it has some small paint chips, the saddle and tires are not original, but everything else is including the XT components. I would post some pictures, but I'm new to the forum. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 04-07-21, 10:32 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Here's the blue book value for a 1993 Scott Pro Racing; https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...product/44379/
The next question is when did you buy it and what did you pay for it.
Once you've determined these things consider the COVID-19 effect on bike sales/purchases in your area.
Old 04-07-21, 10:53 AM
syang81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The components are XTR on the blue book value, the components on the ones I have are XT. I think maybe my bike is a few years earlier. I bought it a few weeks ago for $200. Seemed like a reasonable price at the time. I also recently picked up a really old Western Flyer Canyon Runner MTB. It is heavy as all get out but is really comfortable to ride. Perhaps instead of selling the Scott, I will donate some of the parts to the Canyon Runner. Seems like a toss up if the Scott isn't worth much more than $200-300.
Old 04-07-21, 11:56 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Why not keep the lighter Scott to pull the Burley trailer for short distances, and ride the comfortable Canyon Runner for longer distances?
Old 04-07-21, 12:25 PM
syang81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That would be a very reasonable thing to do indeed. And maybe I will hang onto the Scott. But since this is a valuation forum, I thought I'd get an idea if the bike itself is worth more than the parts. The Canyon Runner needs an overhaul so if the Scott has no collectible value, it maybe more valuable to me for the components which would cost a couple hundred dollars new.
Old 04-07-21, 01:20 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Bicycle blue book is not reliable with real life prices. They are a company that buys and sells after all.

We really need to see photos of the bike and even then, market varies by location. Make 10 posts throughout this forum and you can post photos.
Likes For katsup:
Old 04-07-21, 01:38 PM
syang81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I will post pictures shortly.
Old 04-08-21, 06:53 AM
Aww

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hello,
the Pro Racing is a great bike. It got XTR since 1992, before used to be equipped with XT. For 200, I think you made a fair deal, I would personally consider on for that price (but I am in middle Europe, prices might be different).
The 1990 model was green with orange-ish colour under letters, 1991 had white seatstays and originally black fork, could be one of these.
It would be I think a shame to break it for parts, it is a bike that can bring nice value and also joy itself, and the XT components won't make other bike that lighter.
The thing is really high end for its time, and original ones are difficult to find. The frame of the 1990 model is Tange Prestige, 1991 it changed to Columbus Max OR, both great, the 1990 model is a bit more in demand it seems to me.
Old 04-08-21, 11:11 AM
syang81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im pretty sure it is 1990, it has the orange letters that say "SCOTT" on the top tube and "Pro Racing" on the downtube with Tange Prestige fork. Its fun to ride except I keep clipping my heel against the chainstay. The geometry seems more aggressive than other mountain bikes I've ridden before, but then again I have not really ridden many competition bikes.