Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Self learner needing some assistance

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-21, 02:27 PM
Bankailuver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I bought an old bike and have been slowly taking it apart to fix what I can to make it work. Besides lots of parts being rusted(tossed a bunch of it in evaporust) found that a spoke was broken and that of course I needed a new chain. Already replaced the chain, pulled most parted to soak to remove rust. But my problem right now is the broken spoke. Besides not knowing the size of the spokes, my main problem is that there is a metal spoke guard behind the cassette and I can't get it off to get to the spot.... I thought I got it off.... but apparently only took off half of the cassette. It is a SunTour Perfect (I guess?) Had to use a hammer and a screwdriver since I didn't have the actual tools for it. But now it's the inside of the cassette that still there holding the metal disk, I tried using a bar to turn it but it's on tight.... uses a2 prong attachment... any tips????
Old 04-16-21, 02:37 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
You have partially disassembled the Free Wheel. NOT what you wanted to do-
Freewheel or Cassette?

It needed either the 2 or 4 prong Suntour removal tool.
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...d-installation
Old 04-16-21, 02:41 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
There are youtube videos for just about any bike mechanical task - just have to figure out proper terms to search for.

Does this cover your cassette removal problem:

Likes For tyrion:
Old 04-16-21, 03:09 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
There are youtube videos for just about any bike mechanical task - just have to figure out proper terms to search for.

Does this cover your cassette removal problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQdkT2smzgg

Doesn't help, he has a freewheel.
Old 04-16-21, 03:11 PM
Bankailuver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bill, will I still be able to get it off without the cassette attached? I have it soaking atm.
Old 04-16-21, 03:11 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Fre.../dp/B077YQZ62Q

Or take the wheel to a shop and pay to have them remove what's left of the freewheel.
Old 04-16-21, 03:43 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by Bankailuver
Bill, will I still be able to get it off without the cassette attached? I have it soaking atm.
If you can't reassemble it in situ, it's time for a big pipe wrench.
And a new FW.
Old 04-16-21, 03:50 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
There are youtube videos about removing these things. Find the video that is appropriate for what you have. Then you will probably need to buy the tools to do it.
Old 04-16-21, 04:46 PM
Bankailuver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess il have to try and let it soak for the night. Hopefully it's just the rust gluing it together atm. I'll update tomorrow...
Old 04-17-21, 09:31 AM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Fre.../dp/B077YQZ62Q

Or take the wheel to a shop and pay to have them remove what's left of the freewheel.

It is highly recommended to hold the nut in with inserted QR

Last edited by vane171; 04-20-21 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-17-21, 03:50 PM
Bankailuver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, still didn't budge... since I don't have that tool yet, I'll just take it to a shop to pop it off.
Thanks for the fast replies guys.
Old 04-17-21, 03:59 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts
Yeah, still didn't budge... since I don't have that tool yet, I'll just take it to a shop to pop it off.
Thanks for the fast replies guys.
...if they've been in place for a while, and you see rust elsewhere on the bike, those rarely come off without some issues, even if you have the proper tool and technique. The tested approach at this point is to grab the remains of the freewheel in a solid bench vise, and twist it off, using the wheel at the rim for leverage. Sometimes, even this will not work. You may discover that whatever shop you take it to will be either reluctant to take on the job, or will caution you that the hub might break before the freewheel body twists off.

At least, that's what I would tell you.
Old 04-17-21, 04:13 PM
Bankailuver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...if they've been in place for a while, and you see rust elsewhere on the bike, those rarely come off without some issues, even if you have the proper tool and technique. The tested approach at this point is to grab the remains of the freewheel in a solid bench vise, and twist it off, using the wheel at the rim for leverage. Sometimes, even this will not work. You may discover that whatever shop you take it to will be either reluctant to take on the job, or will caution you that the hub might break before the freewheel body twists off.

Thanks for the warning. Yeah, if I am lucky I can save it. But I guess I just picked the wrong bike to try as a first time project.
Old 04-17-21, 05:07 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by 3alarmer

I consider the Suntour tools to be semi consumables. You're eventually going to break one if you use them often enough. Much more likely if this is ones first FW removal.
Old 04-17-21, 06:04 PM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Thanks for the warning. Yeah, if I am lucky I can save it. But I guess I just picked the wrong bike to try as a first time project.
Nah, there are very few bikes that you can fully disassemble without a handful of specialized tools and instructions. It's just part of the fun. I'm not sure that self service always pays for itself, that's a gamble we always take.
Old 04-18-21, 05:00 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I consider the Suntour tools to be semi consumables. You're eventually going to break one if you use them often enough. Much more likely if this is ones first FW removal.
The trick to avoiding damage to either the freewheel or the removal tool is to hold the tool in place with the QR clamped down tightly---as tightly as when you secure the wheel in place in the dropouts. When you apply enough twisting force to feel the freewheel body just beginning to move on the hub, stop and loosen the QR a bit. Repeat the last steps until the freewheel is unscrewing freely.
Old 04-18-21, 02:33 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
That was dodgy.
Old 04-18-21, 02:35 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171

I is highly recommended to hold the nut in with inserted QR
Splined freewheels, sure. Notched, don't even try it without a nut or the QR to hold the tool in place.
Old 04-18-21, 02:48 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I am missing the gene that makes people want to work on bikes so neglected that it takes a dozen forum posts to get into the ballpark for success. Wrenching on bikes is good therapy when the bike you are starting with is at least from the 20th Century and still reliable. A bike co-op can set anyone up with a starter bike for $50. I bought a very nice Schwinn World Tourist at a garage sale for $30 and that bike didn't need much. In fact I rode it home 7 miles from the sale! New brake pads and it was as good as any other bike on the road. But of course I had to mess with it ...
Likes For Leisesturm: