Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

One lever 2 brakes.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

One lever 2 brakes.

Old 04-23-21, 06:08 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
One lever 2 brakes.

Anyone have personal experience?
Seems like it would be a fun idea on a klunker or maybe urban MTB/bmx mix of a bike.

maybe shifter on the left, brake lever on the right.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-21, 06:10 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

If anyone with experience wants to take the thread over to beach cruisers, MTB, bmx, vintage or whatever and expand their thoughts I would be grateful.
Old 04-23-21, 06:14 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Very common fix for Trike riders with one arm.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 04-23-21, 06:48 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
I did it once after I broke my hand so I could keep riding on a road bike. But pain from vibration was so bad I stopped riding after a couple rides. As I remember the braking wasn't that great.
Old 04-23-21, 07:47 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
I have built an old MTB for my daughter, she was born with only one hand. I used a grip shifter for the RD and a thumbie for the FD and a double brake lever for the brakes. It works her. Her arm is just below the elbow, I added a bar end on the left side so she can rest her shorty there. It works great and does not need much adjustment to work.

Likes For bwilli88:
Old 04-23-21, 07:52 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

That’s awesome!

Originally Posted by bwilli88
I have built an old MTB for my daughter, she was born with only one hand. I used a grip shifter for the RD and a thumbie for the FD and a double brake lever for the brakes. It works her. Her arm is just below the elbow, I added a bar end on the left side so she can rest her shorty there. It works great and does not need much adjustment to work.

I also toy with the idea for my daughters. The older one is not a natural with physical and mechanical things. So maybe to simplify for her. She has a hard time remembering things like “It’s not going to shift until you pedal.”
Old 04-24-21, 02:03 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Anyone have personal experience?
Seems like it would be a fun idea on a klunker or maybe urban MTB/bmx mix of a bike.

maybe shifter on the left, brake lever on the right.

Thanks.
Before this thread dives down the rabbit-hole of what’s more comfortable to ride with an arm injury; what are you trying to accomplish by running both brakes off a single lever?
There’s a couple ways to do it; an in-line ‘splitter’ You see that often on tadpole trikes that have dual front brakes, as well as a rear brake.
There are also levers that can operate two separate cables, they’ll have two adjusters coming out of the ‘front’ these are usually found on adaptive bikes or other mobility devices.
Which one will work best for your application will depend on a couple form features of the bike, which we can’t see from here.

Same goes for a single left-hand shifter. Left shifters are for the front derailleur. If you want to shift a 1x drivetrain from the left side, you’re going to have to kludge up a friction thumb lever or twist shifter to make it work
Again, same question; why do you want/ need to make this work?
Old 04-24-21, 06:50 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Found at the local co-op. I did not buy it.

Old 04-24-21, 07:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,474 Times in 7,312 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Very common fix for Trike riders with one arm.
A few years ago I led a small group on an organized century. One the riders in my group was missing about half his lower arm and left hand. His Trek road bike components allowed him to operate both brakes and shift with his right hand. His left are rested on a padded riser elevated above the top of his bar.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-24-21 at 07:43 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-24-21, 08:30 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Before this thread dives down the rabbit-hole of what’s more comfortable to ride with an arm injury; what are you trying to accomplish by running both brakes off a single lever?
There’s a couple ways to do it; an in-line ‘splitter’ You see that often on tadpole trikes that have dual front brakes, as well as a rear brake.
There are also levers that can operate two separate cables, they’ll have two adjusters coming out of the ‘front’ these are usually found on adaptive bikes or other mobility devices.
Which one will work best for your application will depend on a couple form features of the bike, which we can’t see from here.

Same goes for a single left-hand shifter. Left shifters are for the front derailleur. If you want to shift a 1x drivetrain from the left side, you’re going to have to kludge up a friction thumb lever or twist shifter to make it work
Again, same question; why do you want/ need to make this work?
Thank you.
My original thought was exclusively to have less going on at the bars.
I didn’t know what brifters were until joining this forum.
I can’t wrap my head around how the cable splitter would work for the front brake of a normal bike?

And I have zero drop bar experience.

Do they even make horizontal brifters?
Old 04-24-21, 10:15 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Thank you.
Kinda like getting a 5-key keyboard so you don't have to type with both hands? I suppose you could have a dual-cable lever for brakes and an IGH for all of your gears. Not that big a deal for most of us though...
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 04-24-21, 10:51 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Thank you.
Again, why are you to reduce the number of things on the bars? Is it for looks, or for accessibility? Reducing the number of controls mean you'll have to potentially give up functionallity.
  • Single-speed, coaster brake would have nothing on the bars, like a beach cruiser.
  • Single speed, hand-brake, like a BMX would have brake levers, but no shifters.
  • Three-speed, single brake, like a 'Dutch' bike would have one shifter and one brake lever.
  • A derailleur bike can't use a coaster brake, so you'd need a shifter, and brake levers.
See where we're going here? The more functions you want, the more controls you're going to have to have; somewhere on the bike.

I would really not try to run both front and rear brakes off a single lever unless I had some sort of requirement where I can't use both hands. Even using a dual cable lever or a splitter, you're still going to have two cables coming off the handlebars.
The reason I wouldn't is that the front and rear brakes can have very different jobs to do in slowing and stopping a bike, getting both of them to work properly off the same lever would take a lot of tuning and tweaking, and the result would be brakes that work 'ok-but-not-great' most of the time.

I've got a pretty clean setup on my '76 Bridgestone, because it's an old road bike converted to 'path' use: I have a plain alloy riser, with just the brake levers on the bars. I kept the downtube shifters, so I still have the 2x6 gears, but downtube friction shifters are a whole other skillset.

Old 04-24-21, 11:20 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Again, why are you to reduce the number of things on the bars? Is it for looks, or for accessibility? Reducing the number of controls mean you'll have to potentially give up functionallity.
  • Single-speed, coaster brake would have nothing on the bars, like a beach cruiser.
  • Single speed, hand-brake, like a BMX would have brake levers, but no shifters.
  • Three-speed, single brake, like a 'Dutch' bike would have one shifter and one brake lever.
  • A derailleur bike can't use a coaster brake, so you'd need a shifter, and brake levers.
See where we're going here? The more functions you want, the more controls you're going to have to have; somewhere on the bike.

I would really not try to run both front and rear brakes off a single lever unless I had some sort of requirement where I can't use both hands. Even using a dual cable lever or a splitter, you're still going to have two cables coming off the handlebars.
The reason I wouldn't is that the front and rear brakes can have very different jobs to do in slowing and stopping a bike, getting both of them to work properly off the same lever would take a lot of tuning and tweaking, and the result would be brakes that work 'ok-but-not-great' most of the time.

I've got a pretty clean setup on my '76 Bridgestone, because it's an old road bike converted to 'path' use: I have a plain alloy riser, with just the brake levers on the bars. I kept the downtube shifters, so I still have the 2x6 gears, but downtube friction shifters are a whole other skillset.

For me?

The only 2 reasons would exclusively be looks and just to experiment and try stuff. I am aware ultimately braking might not be as good.

I’m somewhat familiar with friction shifters.
My wife has an old Schwinn with friction shifters on the stem. I think I messed with them once years ago and would have to relearn if I was going to readjust or replace the cables.

Interesting stem. Do you think it makes life easier on your front wheel as well as your wrists?
Old 04-24-21, 06:50 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

For me?

The only 2 reasons would exclusively be looks and just to experiment and try stuff. I am aware ultimately braking might not be as good.

I’m somewhat familiar with friction shifters.
My wife has an old Schwinn with friction shifters on the stem. I think I messed with them once years ago and would have to relearn if I was going to readjust or replace the cables.

Interesting stem. Do you think it makes life easier on your front wheel as well as your wrists?
Not knowing how the rest of the bike is going to be fitted out, I can’t really see any real advantage. Maybe a single-speed, so you’ve only got a single lever on the bars. Again, expect to lose some brake effectiveness.
I tend to ride some unusual bikes, just with fairly conventional cockpits. To each their own, I guess.

As to the SoftRide stem; it’s an adjunct. I have the preload turned up fairly high, so it’s really only reactive for bigger bumps. I tend to ride ‘actively’ with my weight on my feet so that I can shift my balance from front to back. The suspension just kind of ‘takes the corners off’ of things, rather than soaking up impact.