Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Michigan North South Route

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-02-21, 10:10 PM
jszollo

Bikes: Marin, Specialized, Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We are planning a ride from Ann Arbor to Mackinaw City.
However I am having difficulty finding a good route. We have road/touring bikes, so no trails please.
Anyone out there ever do this ride??
Was hoping to follow the DALMAC east route, but can’t seem to get the exact turn by turn route.
Thanks!!!
Old 05-02-21, 10:17 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
Try this
https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616...6053--,00.html
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 05-02-21, 11:57 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
My wife and I rode a loop from Grosse Ile to Mackinaw City, and then south roughly following Lake Michigan to South Haven before turning east back to the start. We used a combination of roads and trails on our road/touring bikes without any problems. You have over 2800 miles of multi use trails in the state; most of them are easily ridden on a road bike. On another ride we stared from Grosse Ile and followed the Detroit River and Lake St Clair until we crossed into Canada at Algonac before heading to Toronto. My sister lives in Wyandotte.

Why the aversion to trails?

Crossing the River Rouge Bridge between Ecorse and River Rouge in 2019. We just took Jefferson Ave (Biddle) through Detroit. Detroit is really bike friendly

We did not realize it, but the an organized ride was going to ride across the Mackiinac Bridge the morning after we arrive in Mackinaw City. If we would have known, we would have joined them. Instead we dumped our gear at a motel, and took the ferry across to Mackinac Island.

Last edited by Doug64; 05-03-21 at 11:29 AM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 05-03-21, 07:21 AM
jszollo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

No aversion to trails, I have a hybrid, but my cousin will be on a road bike, so she is skeptical of any dirt roads. She may try to change out tires...So I’m just looking for suggestions and tips.
We’re departing from Pinckney and basically going up the center of the state, taking M52.

Much appreciated.
Old 05-03-21, 11:16 AM
Doug64

Originally Posted by jszollo
Thanks!

No aversion to trails, I have a hybrid, but my cousin will be on a road bike, so she is skeptical of any dirt roads. She may try to change out tires...So I’m just looking for suggestions and tips.
We’re departing from Pinckney and basically going up the center of the state, taking M52.

Much appreciated.
I'm not familiar with M52, but the "M" roads we have ridden have been pretty good. We use 32 mm tires which handle the crushed stone on most of the trails. The trails are not usually dirt; they use finely crushed rock, and in reasonably dry conditions are not an issue. It seems like the trails are 1-2 mph slower than pavement. You might want to use Google Maps Street View to check on road shoulders. Are you planning on camping? How much time do you have and what is your estimated daily mileage, and time of year? What route are you thinking about on the return home?

This is the trail between Lewiston and Wolverine.

Last edited by Doug64; 05-03-21 at 02:04 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 05-03-21, 12:03 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
My ultra cycling friend Valarie did a Sturgis to Sault Ste Marie ride back in September 2018. She mostly followed M66. She did the ride in 28 hours.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 05-05-21, 08:09 PM
jszollo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're planning 70-80 miles a day. Rolling out in 2 weeks. I work the summer in Mackinaw, so this is a ride up and I'll drive back down at the end of summer.
We'll probably hotel/air bnb...and we have family as ride support.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-05-21, 08:34 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
This may or may not help. I'm originally from Alpena and know that band across the state pretty well. When I zoom google maps to about state width, the first white roads that show up after the state routes zoom level seem to mostly be paved county roads that I wouldn't mind biking on. I've ridden some of them as short cuts coming up from Chicago and they're always pleasant in the car for their lack of traffic and good pavement and visuals. I don't know about how they are in the southeast part of the state, though, and the middle of the north part of the LP can be quite hilly, too.
Old 05-05-21, 08:57 PM
jszollo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdarnton
This may or may not help. I'm originally from Alpena and know that band across the state pretty well. When I zoom google maps to about state width, the first white roads that show up after the state routes zoom level seem to mostly be paved county roads that I wouldn't mind biking on. I've ridden some of them as short cuts coming up from Chicago and they're always pleasant in the car for their lack of traffic and good pavement and visuals. I don't know about how they are in the southeast part of the state, though, and the middle of the north part of the LP can be quite hilly, too.
Thanks!
Paved county roads are good with us! The southeast part of the state is suspect...most of the trails don't connect, you have to encounter some roads. The further north we go, it seems we have more options....and crazy hills. Lol
Old 05-05-21, 09:06 PM
Doug64

Originally Posted by jszollo
We're planning 70-80 miles a day. Rolling out in 2 weeks. I work the summer in Mackinaw, so this is a ride up and I'll drive back down at the end of summer.
We'll probably hotel/air bnb...and we have family as ride support.
Thanks for sharing!
Good luck with your ride, and have a great summer!
Old 05-05-21, 09:15 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
By the way, check cell phone coverage maps before you go! At least a couple of years ago there were a lot of holes in the north.