Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tour de-france type of riders, what's their deal?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tour de-france type of riders, what's their deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-21, 09:11 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by PimpMan
I call them "wanna be tour de-france riders" i see every day a few who dress fancy expensive riding clothes and ride bikes that cost more than grand and ride as if they trying to set world record in speed, (often are running trough red light).

They all are skinny and probably would be fast riding any bike, but when they invest in lighter bikes this get's them even faster.

Never understood this what this riders are all about, are they try to set world record in speed or something, i doubt that they ever will participating in any cycling sport events.

I know there's such thing as bicycle industry and marketing that popularize this, e.g. fishing industry for example and if you go to fishing store you see thousands of lures, hooks, and different types fancy rods when in reality do you really need to make it so complicated to catch a fish?

I know this is also some kind of popularized thing, but what is it all about?
I’m also not sure what it is ALL about, but if you like pedaling a bicycle, keep pedaling a bicycle. Don’t worry about what those others are doing. I don’t know what you ride, and really, don’t care much. But there’s room for a lot of ways to enjoy pedaling.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 05-12-21, 05:01 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
What I learned from this thread:
- people that ride faster than many here are entitled jerks with a death wish who should slow down. They just don't "get cycling". The concept of using a bike for vigorous exercise is just 100% absurd.
- lycra is not very masculine and those who wear lycra are only doing so because they think it looks cool, and because they're jerks.
- spending over $1K on a bike is bad. Really bad. It makes the buyer a pretentious, smug, arrogant dick. Who do they think they are?
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 05-12-21, 06:39 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
What I learned from this thread:
- people that ride faster than many here are entitled jerks with a death wish who should slow down. They just don't "get cycling". The concept of using a bike for vigorous exercise is just 100% absurd.
- lycra is not very masculine and those who wear lycra are only doing so because they think it looks cool, and because they're jerks.
- spending over $1K on a bike is bad. Really bad. It makes the buyer a pretentious, smug, arrogant dick. Who do they think they are?
You forgot about these:
People that ride slower than many here are entitled slackers who should speed up. They just don't "get cycling." The concept of using a bike, not necessarily for vigorous exercise is just 100% absurd.
Lycra is not very masculine. Those who wear lycra are only doing so because it improves their cycling experience. They might think they look cool also. If they look down on people who don't wear lycra, they are jerks.
Spending over $1K on a bike is bad if you can't afford it. Really bad. To some people, it makes the buyer a pretentious, smug, arrogant dick. Who do they think they are? To others, not spending over $1K on a bike will also make the buyer a smug, arrogant dick. Who do they think they are?

Anything else to add?

Last edited by seypat; 05-12-21 at 09:29 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-12-21, 06:52 AM
PimpMan

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
i dont mind riding around on the lite weight bicycle. It's like a horse trying to drive the f1 sometimes. Clunky, heavier, & funny looking.
Exactly big dude on skinny frame bicycle going to look bit off.

If i make analogy with motorcycles, for some its Harley and Chopper for other fast sport bikes its a lifestyle choice.
Old 05-12-21, 09:16 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by drbarney1
While I question the tight fitting shirts and shorts which might have a minuscule aerodynamic advantage approaching that of wearing a g-string, I am open to considering something as functional as cycling shoes. I will look up such specifically designed shoes to discover whether they feel better to use. It depends on what I can afford and I do not buy leather because I don't believe in killing animals to harvest their body parts.
It's not about aerodynamics, or at least not ALL about aerodynamics. Regarding the shorts, there's the pad, the absence of seams in the crotch, the fact that fabric moves with you so it doesn't rub and cause chafing, the fact that it gets your junk out of the way of the saddle, the fact that there's no loose fabric in the crotch to catch on the nose of the saddle as you sit back down after an out-of-saddle effort.

Jerseys - the wicking capacity of the fabric means you're not wearing a clingy, clammy T-shirt. I find that on most climbs, I end up dripping with sweat. Totally soaked. By the bottom of the descent, totally dry. So if you're going to wear 'performance fabric rather than a cotton T-shirt that won't wick sweat, you want it to fit snuggly so it does its job well. Loose, flappy clothing not only robs you of speed, it's also LOUD, and louder the faster you go.

Basically, millions of cyclists find all those advantages in cycling kit, because it works. It's been refined over decades to work better. So, really the question is no longer whether there's advantage in cycling kit. The question is where is the advantage in not wearing it? It's just trying to convince others you're not "one of those Lance wannabes", which means you end up being the one who really cares what other people think.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-12-21, 07:41 PM
David of CA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lance wannabe!

Originally Posted by surak
Can't believe the OP missed the obvious answer that every non-cyclist yelling out of a car knows: they're all Lance wannabes.
Who would want to be a fraud?
Old 05-13-21, 12:00 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Hey, I resemble that remark.
Maybe NOW we can have a good flame war!
Old 05-13-21, 07:28 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The thing with this forum is, it's for everyone. Not just for the people who think 15 mph is "racing," and not for those who actually race. There are types both here, as well as quite a few in between. Let's show some tolerance for others. You don't see the fast riders talking down about the slower riders; those out there in the first group should stop throwing wild accusations. I ride to make me happy, and I ride and wear what makes me happy. I don't care if I impress strangers or threaten their world view. It's all about me.

There, it's said.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 05-14-21, 07:01 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
The thing with this forum is, it's for everyone. Not just for the people who think 15 mph is "racing," and not for those who actually race. There are types both here, as well as quite a few in between. Let's show some tolerance for others. You don't see the fast riders talking down about the slower riders; those out there in the first group should stop throwing wild accusations. I ride to make me happy, and I ride and wear what makes me happy. I don't care if I impress strangers or threaten their world view. It's all about me.

There, it's said.
While agreeing with this, let me qualify it by saying that this chat forum seems to allow a lot of intellectually dishonest troll efforts. To the credit of the moderators, usually the instigators play on people's kindness by at first appearing genuinely newer or in need of something. Making it tougher to sniff out.

Just looking at the topic title of this topic, one can fairly assume right off that it's an effort to demean a group of people or start some kind of flame war. "What's their deal". Really?

Then there's the "debate settled fact" types. The whole "heavier bike is better exercise" topic is literally the bicycle troll topic equivalent of "will a model airplane take off from a moving treadmill". The airplane treadmill thing is as old as the internet now, there's probably a Mythbusters video about it already. Anytime it's posted again, it's a troll effort. But somehow this stuff slips through.

Lastly there's the "make grandiose claims" crowd who then cry when asked for proof. That's a more subtle and advanced troll effort. It plays on the forum's open arms and politeness repeatedly until it's provoked sensible people to lash out. That's a forum sin in taking advantage of forum rules on politeness and people's kind nature.

I wish people would respect these kind of sensibilities just a bit more.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-14-21, 09:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
While agreeing with this, let me qualify it by saying that this chat forum seems to allow a lot of intellectually dishonest troll efforts. To the credit of the moderators, usually the instigators play on people's kindness by at first appearing genuinely newer or in need of something. Making it tougher to sniff out.

Just looking at the topic title of this topic, one can fairly assume right off that it's an effort to demean a group of people or start some kind of flame war. "What's their deal". Really?

Then there's the "debate settled fact" types. The whole "heavier bike is better exercise" topic is literally the bicycle troll topic equivalent of "will a model airplane take off from a moving treadmill". The airplane treadmill thing is as old as the internet now, there's probably a Mythbusters video about it already. Anytime it's posted again, it's a troll effort. But somehow this stuff slips through.

Lastly there's the "make grandiose claims" crowd who then cry when asked for proof. That's a more subtle and advanced troll effort. It plays on the forum's open arms and politeness repeatedly until it's provoked sensible people to lash out. That's a forum sin in taking advantage of forum rules on politeness and people's kind nature.

I wish people would respect these kind of sensibilities just a bit more.

Respect sensibilities? Have you seen the internet before?

I think there are naive posters who come here and say or ask something that's obviously uninformed and I have a high level of tolerance for them. OP is not one of those people, this was just pure troll.
Old 05-14-21, 09:43 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Respect sensibilities? Have you seen the internet before?

I think there are naive posters who come here and say or ask something that's obviously uninformed and I have a high level of tolerance for them. OP is not one of those people, this was just pure troll.
Haha, for once I was trying to not be as much like I normally am. A turd. You nailed it here.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-14-21, 09:48 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by David of CA
Who would want to be a fraud?
Who is being a fraud?
Old 05-14-21, 09:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Eric F
Who is being a fraud?
Freud.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-14-21, 10:00 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Exactly big dude on skinny frame bicycle going to look bit off.

If i make analogy with motorcycles, for some its Harley and Chopper for other fast sport bikes its a lifestyle choice.
Why are only skinny people are allowed to ride road bikes? What about guys who used to be skinny? I see people of all different sizes riding Harleys and sport bikes. Is that also a problem for you? Is every sport bike rider wearing full leathers pretending to be Mark Marquez?
Old 05-14-21, 10:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Eric F
Why are only skinny people are allowed to ride road bikes? What about guys who used to be skinny? I see people of all different sizes riding Harleys and sport bikes. Is that also a problem for you? Is every sport bike rider wearing full leathers pretending to be Mark Marquez?

You do realize you're arguing with a guy who calls himself PimpMan, right?

Who cares what offends him?
Old 05-14-21, 10:37 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts

If the OP and others think Roadie's look ridiculous. I can't imagine just how silly old guys like me riding around on children's bicycles must be.
Likes For cbrstar:
Old 05-14-21, 07:30 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
A $25 Zebco rod/reel set will catch the same fish that a $500 set will. So why buy the expensive stuff? Maybe because the aficionado appreciates the higher build quality, the balance, the more predictable action, or even the fancier look. Who's to say they're wrong? Someone who doesn't fish? Yes,this is a troll thread.
Old 05-16-21, 09:17 PM
fuji105

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does this sport has a name i can read about because i never heard of it.

This actually brings me to the second point i forgot to make - when one is riding for health, not to compete with others.

Whats the actual difference if one ride light bicycle fast with many speeds vs one rides heavier bicycle slower speed, IMO at the end of the day person with heavier bicycle puts more effort into pedaling...
More effort on a heavy bike? Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the type of training or riding you're doing. Your heavy bike may take more effort, depending on how hard you push yourself and how long, but a rider on a lighter bike will work just as hard or harder because she is stressing her body to go faster (thus having to go faster). By the way, there is a difference between big strong muscles that can push or lift heavy weights and fast-twitch muscles that can make quick movements over an extended time period.
Old 05-16-21, 10:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Q. Why are only skinny people are allowed to ride road bikes?
A. I believe it is a state law in most states. Could go national.

Q. What about guys who used to be skinny?
A. People who have gained weight automatically forfeit their right, unless they return to being skinny and then are entitled to all the rights and privileges including a road bike.

Q. What about people of all sizes riding Harleys and sport bikes?
A. False equivalency? Apples and pears? Never seen an overweight person riding a sport bike. Might want an eye exam.

Last edited by rsbob; 05-16-21 at 10:50 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-16-21, 11:23 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by fuji105
More effort on a heavy bike? Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the type of training or riding you're doing. Your heavy bike may take more effort, depending on how hard you push yourself and how long, but a rider on a lighter bike will work just as hard or harder because she is stressing her body to go faster (thus having to go faster). By the way, there is a difference between big strong muscles that can push or lift heavy weights and fast-twitch muscles that can make quick movements over an extended time period.
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...vier-bike.html
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-19-21, 07:37 PM
jconti13

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Is this your sport troll?
Likes For jconti13:
Old 05-19-21, 09:25 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
If there were inherent virtues in heavy bikes then adding a few 5 lb weights to the bike would make it even better. What is interesting to me is how often folks will worry about saving an ounce with a new saddle but ignore the extra 20 lbs of belly fat or carry around 2 or even 3 water bottles and a 2 lb bike repair kit.

What is also overlooked is the choice provided by the bike manufacturers when it comes to components and saddles on bikes targeted at the casual rider. The heavier bike has cheaper deraillers, cheaper rims, cheaper brakes, and usually poor frame geometry and of course gearing that is wrong. I have seen the days when "race" bikes were built for criterion racers and were terrible for road racers or touring riders. When triathelons became popular it was great as the bikes built for competitors were the best overall for the average club rider or touring cyclist.

I have to laugh when someone thinks $1,000 is expensive for a bike. In college in 1970 the expensive bikes were the Italian ones that cost around $500 which in today's money is roughly $5,000. A lot of fellow riders had such bikes but they did not have cars or trucks to support.
Old 05-19-21, 10:41 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
When triathelons became popular it was great as the bikes built for competitors were the best overall for the average club rider or touring cyclist.
Tri bikes are good for club rides and touring?

I don’t think so. They handle terribly.

They’re good at going fast in a straight line, and that’s about all.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-19-21, 10:43 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
If there were inherent virtues in heavy bikes then adding a few 5 lb weights to the bike would make it even better. What is interesting to me is how often folks will worry about saving an ounce with a new saddle but ignore the extra 20 lbs of belly fat or carry around 2 or even 3 water bottles and a 2 lb bike repair kit.

What is also overlooked is the choice provided by the bike manufacturers when it comes to components and saddles on bikes targeted at the casual rider. The heavier bike has cheaper deraillers, cheaper rims, cheaper brakes, and usually poor frame geometry and of course gearing that is wrong. I have seen the days when "race" bikes were built for criterion racers and were terrible for road racers or touring riders. When triathelons became popular it was great as the bikes built for competitors were the best overall for the average club rider or touring cyclist.

I have to laugh when someone thinks $1,000 is expensive for a bike. In college in 1970 the expensive bikes were the Italian ones that cost around $500 which in today's money is roughly $5,000. A lot of fellow riders had such bikes but they did not have cars or trucks to support.

Does bouncing weight really matter?
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 05-19-21, 11:00 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
It's important to keep in mind that normal person skinny is bike racer fat.
Is weight really that important even on flats? Im 235 lbs and could be like 190, think I would get a substantial increase in speed on flat ground?

Also this is 100% a troll thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.