Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

New to biking with scoliosis

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 05-22-21, 06:01 PM
sdeckard63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m 58 and want to start biking but not sure where to start in regards to the type of bike I need. I have been diagnosed with scoliosis with arthritis between my spine and ribs. In the last year, I have had Bariatric surgery and have lost 75 pounds. I live on a gravel road so would like a bike that I could use at home and also on blacktop roads. I would love some suggestions because I can’t figure out what I need from the internet. I don’t want to spend thousands either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-22-21, 10:52 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Ditto. I have injury-induced scoliosis. Common with back injuries. Between the spinal curve and hip tilt my effective leg lengths are very different, although technically they're nearly identical.

Even the young 2019 Tour de France champion Egan Bernal has suffered some performance loss and a very rough 2020 due to scoliosis from cycling injuries, although he seems to have recovered and as of this date is doing very well at the Giro d'Italia. I followed his posts and articles last year and he did a lot of physical therapy and bike fitting adjustments to cope.

The expensive option is a professional bike fit with devices to measure pressure on the saddle, pedals, etc., to see where the imbalances are.

Otherwise the alternative is to pay attention to pressure during a ride, or when on an indoor trainer. Video yourself riding -- easier on an indoor trainer -- to check your posture and watch for imbalances. I do this occasionally.

I found chiropractors to be utterly useless, despite their ineffectual gestures at "correcting" hip tilt, leg length, etc., with magic clicky pens and yanking on the feet.

For now I use shims on pedals, cleats, or, with my running shoes, insoles to help correct the slight imbalance. And lots of home physical therapy.

And I use percussion massagers to loosen up the tight back muscles that are locked into non-ergonomic postures in an attempt to compensate for the chronic weakness and pain. Helps a lot more than chiropractors. Even an expensive percussion massager will be less expensive in the long run.

I'm considering an inversion table or device to relieve some of the pressure. It won't "fix" the problem, but may relieve it enough temporarily to enjoy a bike ride or run.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-26-21, 07:36 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by sdeckard63
I’m 58 and want to start biking but not sure where to start in regards to the type of bike I need. I have been diagnosed with scoliosis with arthritis between my spine and ribs. In the last year, I have had Bariatric surgery and have lost 75 pounds. I live on a gravel road so would like a bike that I could use at home and also on blacktop roads. I would love some suggestions because I can’t figure out what I need from the internet. I don’t want to spend thousands either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Congrats on the weight loss!! I'm 31 months post op for Gastric Sleeve, down 140 pounds and sort of stalled. But happy for now. I've got some scoliosis post back injury, nearly 10 years ago I had a bike crash and now have 2 rods and 10 screws from T7-T12. None in T9 as that was the burst fracture and nearly paralyzed me. Great surgeon, great PT and I seem to heal pretty well still. Not to mention I'm either too stupid or too stubborn to quit...

In my youth, in rural Kansas, I had a Sears 10 speed I rode on gravel roads and cow paths. Not optimal, but it's what I had. Today, there are lots of choices. They have specific gravel bikes, basically more robust road bikes with wider tires. That may be a great choice, as you would have the ability to enjoy quick paved rides as well. Any mountain bike would fit your needs as well, though they give up a lot in weight and speed on paved roads. As far as specific bikes for you personally, I think you will need to hit various bike shops and see what is offered. I will also suggest watching Youtube reviews. Path Less Pedaled is a good start. Lots of good tips, ideas, and reviews of bikes and equipment.
Old 05-26-21, 07:47 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Ditto. I have injury-induced scoliosis. Common with back injuries. Between the spinal curve and hip tilt my effective leg lengths are very different, although technically they're nearly identical.

Even the young 2019 Tour de France champion Egan Bernal has suffered some performance loss and a very rough 2020 due to scoliosis from cycling injuries, although he seems to have recovered and as of this date is doing very well at the Giro d'Italia. I followed his posts and articles last year and he did a lot of physical therapy and bike fitting adjustments to cope.

The expensive option is a professional bike fit with devices to measure pressure on the saddle, pedals, etc., to see where the imbalances are.

Otherwise the alternative is to pay attention to pressure during a ride, or when on an indoor trainer. Video yourself riding -- easier on an indoor trainer -- to check your posture and watch for imbalances. I do this occasionally.

I found chiropractors to be utterly useless, despite their ineffectual gestures at "correcting" hip tilt, leg length, etc., with magic clicky pens and yanking on the feet.

For now I use shims on pedals, cleats, or, with my running shoes, insoles to help correct the slight imbalance. And lots of home physical therapy.

And I use percussion massagers to loosen up the tight back muscles that are locked into non-ergonomic postures in an attempt to compensate for the chronic weakness and pain. Helps a lot more than chiropractors. Even an expensive percussion massager will be less expensive in the long run.

I'm considering an inversion table or device to relieve some of the pressure. It won't "fix" the problem, but may relieve it enough temporarily to enjoy a bike ride or run.
Last year, I had a bike fit that was part of physical therapy due to back and ankle issues. Offered through the orthopedics group of a local university hospital. That might be a way to get your bike fit and mostly covered by insurance, and tailored in ways other pro bike fits might not cover. Mine included a change of pedals to accommodate a more midfoot pedaling position due to my need of an AFO brace for my left ankle. Actual physical therapy might help, ask your doctor/surgeon.

Also, ask your doc about inversion tables before using. I use an inversion table, but my surgeon wouldn't let me until well after my 2 year mark post fusion. I don't use it often, but it does help and that help lasts quite a while. For me. I found a good quality inversion table in a thrift store for less than $25. I also had to check with my knee surgeon, as I have had both knees replaced...

I may try the percussion massagers! I love my portable TENS unit, but it chews through 9v batteries like crazy.

I do like your suggestion of video of my form on the indoor bike. I use an older bike on a trainer, sensors let me connect to Zwift to feel like I'm going somewhere instead of just staring at a wall while riding. I have a couple cheapo GoPro camera knockoffs that I use on some outdoor rides, will be well worth the time to watch myself and make sure I'm getting all I need from my indoor rides.
Old 05-26-21, 09:14 AM
sdeckard63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. It helps a lot.