Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Getting a Dutch Bike from the Netherlands to the US?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-21, 10:17 AM
mimiywan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My husband has always loved the Dutch commuting bikes and he is planning on riding on our nearby trailway to teach summer school. Is it crazy to get a used Dutch bike from the Netherlands and have it shipped? Are there bike brokers that might help us purchase a good bike, package and ship as a service?
Old 05-23-21, 12:01 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
If you are buying from a bike shop check with them. Bike shops do ship international. But not all.

$250+ to get it here.

I was looking at a bike and the place that has the best price currently is in Jakarta. And that includes the $300 shipping.
Old 05-23-21, 02:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Are you looking to import because you just can't find one in stock here? I had an impression that you couldn't throw a rock in Brooklyn without hitting a bakfiets but maybe that fad is passed.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-23-21, 05:33 PM
Inisfallen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Are you looking to import because you just can't find one in stock here? I had an impression that you couldn't throw a rock in Brooklyn without hitting a bakfiets but maybe that fad is passed.
Nope.
Old 05-23-21, 05:38 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
Here is one site with recommendations for shipping a bike. I think we used Bike Flights when returning from France. It was our own bikes and we packed them there. But bike store are more than happy to charge for this service.
Old 05-24-21, 06:38 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
https://www.godutch.ca/pages/about

​​​​​​https://www.jclindbikes.com/

​​​​​​https://www.amsterdam-bicycle.com/

​​​​​​https://www.peacebicycles.com/

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...e-bike-us.html
Old 05-24-21, 08:02 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,938 Times in 1,763 Posts
Yep, my first thought was go new like I did. But the OP said used so I didn't go there.

That said, the purchase experience working with Steven as the Amsterdam Bicycle Company was really easy. He was responsive and informative. Now I'm just about a month out from the bike arriving.

Not cheap but they have a rep for lasting forever and so I think the price was well worth it.
Old 05-24-21, 10:04 AM
mimiywan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the omafiets were really big a few years ago. We just thought that it made sense to go with a used high quality Dutch bike rather than a "Dutch adjacent" new bike made in China but designed in Brooklyn.
Old 05-24-21, 10:15 AM
mimiywan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suggested new from Holland but I am also concerned that for $1.5K he won't actually ride it.
Old 05-24-21, 11:01 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
I was looking at a bike and the place that has the best price currently is in Jakarta. And that includes the $300 shipping.
Quite a few scams with selling bikes out of Indonesia.
Old 05-24-21, 02:04 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by mimiywan
I suggested new from Holland but I am also concerned that for $1.5K he won't actually ride it.
Yep, it's a lot of money to spend if any doubt.
Old 05-26-21, 12:54 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5991 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Yep, my first thought was go new like I did. But the OP said used so I didn't go there.

That said, the purchase experience working with Steven as the Amsterdam Bicycle Company was really easy. He was responsive and informative. Now I'm just about a month out from the bike arriving.

Not cheap but they have a rep for lasting forever and so I think the price was well worth it.
Good choice of brand. Is it of the shelf or did they let pick the frame and the parts and all, the 'design your own bike' idea?

Originally Posted by mimiywan
If you buy an Azor it's mostly the sturdiness you're paying for, it doesn't ooze 'be careful with it'.

Buying used makes sense, if it is a proper Dutch bike with the proper build quality, and not just Dutch looking or just assembled in The Netherlands. But I don't think many used bike sellers have the infrastructure for it. Used Dutch bikes get to the 100-300 euro range very quickly here and shipping costs just as high might be a bit uncomfortable. Shipping is a quite a bit of work if it's a first for the used bike shop. I don't think it will work.

I'd say get a good used Dutch bike for 400-500 dollar in the USA, or spend the 1500 or a bit more to get exactly the bike he wants of high quality and let him and future generations enjoy it. It will last. Azors are actually quite cheap for the hand build quality they provide.
Old 05-26-21, 02:12 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Stadjer
Good choice of brand. Is it of the shelf or did they let pick the frame and the parts and all, the 'design your own bike' idea?
Yep, I got on Azor's site and used the bike configurator tool to build it. Then I sent the build spec to the one U.S. dealer and they reached out right away and worked the purchase.

I pretty much upgraded everything I could as well as picking a custom color. I expect this to last a long. long time and also wanted it to be a fully capable as I could make it.
Old 05-27-21, 08:49 AM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Quite a few scams with selling bikes out of Indonesia.
Oh that thought crossed my mind. So did the ability to get my money back if I made the purchase.

I am not spending 2K on a bike. I wouldn't spend 1K on one. I have never paid more than $130...
Old 05-27-21, 08:55 AM
njkayaker

[QUOTE=StarBiker;22077920]Oh that thought crossed my mind. So did the ability to get my money back if I made the purchase./QUOTE]
It's odd to make a post about something that is certainly a scam and one where one wouldn't be able to get money back.

It should have also crossed your mind that talking about it isn't helpful.
Old 05-27-21, 08:59 AM
StarBiker

[QUOTE=njkayaker;22077931][QUOTE=StarBiker;22077920]Oh that thought crossed my mind. So did the ability to get my money back if I made the purchase./QUOTE]
It's odd to make a post about something that is certainly a scam and one where one wouldn't be able to get money back.

It should have also crossed your mind that talking about it isn't helpful.[/QUOTE

12 thousand posts........
Old 05-27-21, 09:09 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by StarBiker
12 thousand posts........
To think you could have just replied "yes, I know". But you got all defensy about your silly post.

People ask serious questions about those Indonesian sites fairly regularly.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-27-21 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-28-21, 09:19 AM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Dutch bikes have their purpose, but as a gift for your husband he should really ride one first. They are heavy and slow and if you live in hilly terrain they are not ideal. However they are great bikes.
Old 05-30-21, 01:33 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Delta dropped their surcharge for bikes that then became treated as an extra suitcase. I am not sure whether this became the case for other airlines in their alliance, KLM and Air France. We had a right to an extra free suitcase in our flight to Europe and Delta then just took the bike we wanted to move across for free. In the past we used a cargo option that flies at a hugely reduced price when the shipping is within a few days from the flight. The boxes for packing the bikes can be obtained for free or very cheaply at bike shops. Even though this has not come up, I would strongly advise against dealing with shippers over water for smaller items - the variety of out of the blue surcharges make it a scam for practical purposes.