Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Flat resistant, low rolling resistance, 700x38c tires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Flat resistant, low rolling resistance, 700x38c tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-21, 08:51 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
lots of good antidotal info above but why not check a site that scientifically measures and rates tires by your parameters? https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/
+1
Old 06-08-21, 07:11 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
Agreed. My flats fall into two categories. In a year and a half I had three flats. One from a roofing nail in the tire, one from running over a block of wood, and the third from running over a thick rusty metal plate. Didn't see those obstacles before I ran over them.
I have had the roofing nail flat. Running over a block of wood should not cause a flat. Could cause a loss of control or some excitement, should not cause a flat. The rusty metal plate would only cause a flat if there were major sharp edges or loose shards of metal. We all run over unseen obstacles all the time. Tires should normally stand up to that.

Really hard to know anything from far away, one possible explanation is significant over- or under-inflation. Marathon Plus is a fleet tire for bikeshare programs, they really don’t have many flats.

GravelKings are very good. All Panasonic tires are good. The made in Osaka tires are wonderful.

Except for the nail, which might puncture a car tire, your flats are not punctures. Marathon Plus is about attacking the problem with a bigger hammer. If you need a bigger hammer than a Marathon Plus it is time to re-evaluate. Get a tire you will enjoy. Tires with a bit of suppleness will flow over obstacles. Ordinary pressure for a 700x38 would be 40-50psi. Measure the tire. Plenty of 38s will be 35mm or even less, then you would need more pressure.
Old 06-08-21, 04:09 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Shikoro tires

Originally Posted by katsup
A lot of people like Schwalbe Marathon Supreme and you can find many reviews of them. Another option is the Soma Shikoro.

These tires are on my list to try in the future, but I don't have an personal experience using them.
I made the switch to 42mm Shikoro tires in March after years of various flavor Marathon tires in 35-38mm. These are on a Soma Saga strictly used for commuting my Clyde self around. Would have loved to try some Compass tires, but I’m cheap and was not sure they could handle my commute without too many flats. Mostly it came down to purchasing two Shikoros for the price of one Compass, which is still spendy for me. I mean close to $100 a tire is nuts to me. I don’t want to spend that on car tires (wishful thinking, I know). Figured I would keep the Marathons I have stored away for what passes for winter around here.

I found the Shikoros to be a much more supple tire in feel than the Marathons, and the ride is so cushy I don’t think I will ever go back to Schwalbe’s offerings. Granted, the Shikoros are the folding version and the Marathons wire bead. Volume difference probably helps there too. As for rolling resistance, I’m not sure I can notice a difference. At least at my tortoise like pace. I know they feel smoother. The feel is so much nicer, however there is a bit of road noise to the Shikoros that I never noticed with the Marathons. Have 1200 miles on them and only one flat at around 800 miles. About what I experienced with Marathons over the years.

Definitely worth the upgrade.
Old 06-08-21, 04:55 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by But its me
I made the switch to 42mm Shikoro tires in March after years of various flavor Marathon tires in 35-38mm. These are on a Soma Saga strictly used for commuting my Clyde self around. Would have loved to try some Compass tires, but I’m cheap and was not sure they could handle my commute without too many flats. Mostly it came down to purchasing two Shikoros for the price of one Compass, which is still spendy for me. I mean close to $100 a tire is nuts to me. I don’t want to spend that on car tires (wishful thinking, I know). Figured I would keep the Marathons I have stored away for what passes for winter around here.

I found the Shikoros to be a much more supple tire in feel than the Marathons, and the ride is so cushy I don’t think I will ever go back to Schwalbe’s offerings. Granted, the Shikoros are the folding version and the Marathons wire bead. Volume difference probably helps there too. As for rolling resistance, I’m not sure I can notice a difference. At least at my tortoise like pace. I know they feel smoother. The feel is so much nicer, however there is a bit of road noise to the Shikoros that I never noticed with the Marathons. Have 1200 miles on them and only one flat at around 800 miles. About what I experienced with Marathons over the years.

Thanks for that, I'd be curious how many miles you get out of the Shikoros. It also doesn't sound like you tried the Marathon Supremes as those are folding only as far as I know.

I still have many years of riding from a small collection of Vittoria Voyager Hypers that I purchased before they were discontinued so who knows what will be out then.
Old 06-13-21, 08:47 PM
altondavis2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I've got about 2,000 miles on my Schwalbe Plus; no flats and they don't leak much. I'm thoroughly satisfied, I don't think you can get tires that are much more flat resistant. Yeah, they're slightly heavy but the reliability more than makes up for the weight. I'm riding a Specialized Diverge with 105 components and speed isn't my main concern.
Old 06-13-21, 09:04 PM
altondavis2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
So what you're saying is that NEW tires roll better than 5 year old ones do. I agree. I also have owned 2 Specialized bikes that came equipped with Specialized brand tires. My experiences with them was so bad that when I purchased my new Diverge, I ordered Schawlbe Marathon Plus for it the next week. I'm happy.
Old 06-14-21, 05:36 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by But its me

I've been running the same-tread patterned Supple Vitesse in 38mm; first the EX and now the SL on my CX rig. Very happy with both regarding speed and comfort. Zero flats on either so far. Wear acceptable on the EX; they were replaced after 7 months of riding when the rear tread smooth at the center, front tread is still OK, sidewalls all good. For anyone seeking something a bit lighter and fragile, these are nice