Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 06-08-21, 05:59 AM
th3realmckay

Bikes: '14 Leader Renovatio, '96 Trek 1400, '88 Fisher Montare XT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 34 Posts
dbhouston Made up your mind about riding Project Dave this weekend? If so, I"ll keep an eye out for ya!
Old 06-08-21, 06:33 PM
dbhouston 

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Spirit + 2018 Specialized Diverge + 1974 Raleigh Competition + 1983 Centurion Pro Tour 15

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by th3realmckay
dbhouston Made up your mind about riding Project Dave this weekend? If so, I"ll keep an eye out for ya!
Decided to stick with the Diverge this weekend - dance with the one that brung ya' and all that.
Likes For dbhouston:
Old 06-08-21, 06:42 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
Looks a lot like my '87 Master!

Old 06-09-21, 07:49 AM
Aquiles

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How good (or bad) is the Centurion Ironman for road cycling since it's a triathlon bike ? Someone is selling an Pump Iron II with shimano 105 components and I´m interested. Beautiful looking bikes you have right there.
Old 06-09-21, 09:01 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
I believe, like many C&V members, the Centurion Ironman makes for a fine road bike.
The only thing "triathlon" about it is marketing (Dave Scott and Ironman) because it essentially has classic road bike frame geometry.
However, it was around that same time period (1988/89) that Quintana Roo ushered in the design of bike frames with steeper seat tube angles meant to be ridden with aero bars.
They also pioneered 650C wheels with these frames for most sizes.
This configuration (steep seat tube angles 76-80 degrees, aerobars,) quickly became the norm for triathletes of the 1990s and became somewhat standard for tri-bike frame geometry.
Centurion Ironman was never a part of this.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 06-09-21, 09:47 AM
johnlink

Bikes: 1988 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I use my 1989 Centurion Ironman for riding roads, including touring. See the linked pages for info about my bike.

My Bike: https://johnlinkbikingadventures.blo...p/my-bike.html

How I Pack My Gear: https://johnlinkbikingadventures.blo...k-my-gear.html
Likes For johnlink:
Old 06-09-21, 10:45 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
I believe, like many C&V members, the Centurion Ironman makes for a fine road bike.
The only thing "triathlon" about it is marketing (Dave Scott and Ironman) because it essentially has classic road bike frame geometry.
However, it was around that same time period (1988/89) that Quintana Roo ushered in the design of bike frames with steeper seat tube angles meant to be ridden with aero bars.
They also pioneered 650C wheels with these frames for most sizes.
This configuration (steep seat tube angles 76-80 degrees, aerobars,) quickly became the norm for triathletes of the 1990s and became somewhat standard for tri-bike frame geometry.
Centurion Ironman was never a part of this.
Yup. Up until the late 80's 'triathlon' was mostly a marketing term. The only difference between a 'triathlon' bike and a regular road bike was that the 'tri' bike had clincher tires whereas the road race bike would come with tubulars. On some Miyatas they would have a 3rd set of bottle mounts, and some bikes would have CO2 cartridge mounts (which go on the bottle mounts) as well.
Of course, once Scott came out with the aero bar with elbow rests, tri bikes quickly evolved into a different species.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 06-09-21, 11:30 AM
Aquiles

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pretty interesting. I'm learning a lot reading you guys. Exercising my english too. Thanks. Sadly, the bike was repainted because the owner didn´t like the pink and yellow paint job. Any chances I could get the original color back if it wasn´t sanded before repainting ?
Old 06-16-21, 06:16 PM
dbhouston 

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Spirit + 2018 Specialized Diverge + 1974 Raleigh Competition + 1983 Centurion Pro Tour 15

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 95 Posts
Project Dave: The Compromise Build

Felt kind of guilty leaving all that 600ex in a box, so it's back on the Ironman. The compromise? Slightly enhanced gearing for modern weenie riders like me. I had an extra set of Biopace, so went from 52-42 to 53-39 in front. And a new freewheel takes the back from 13-21 to 14-28. Happy morning test ride - this is going to be the keeper build, for a while at least!

Here's a more serious issue for the look of the bike. I put on some ill-fitting black hoods, which will be fine. Trying to bring these back to life, though, I hit on the idea of Pedro's Bike Lust to see if some silicone reduced the gumminess. Feels like it might be working?

Last edited by dbhouston; 06-17-21 at 07:06 AM.
Likes For dbhouston:
Old 06-16-21, 08:40 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
^^^ Those wheels (dark tires) make it look mean and as RT would say "All Business".
I definitely like it.

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-16-21 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-18-21, 07:21 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by dbhouston
Felt kind of guilty leaving all that 600ex in a box, so it's back on the Ironman. The compromise? Slightly enhanced gearing for modern weenie riders like me. I had an extra set of Biopace, so went from 52-42 to 53-39 in front. And a new freewheel takes the back from 13-21 to 14-28. Happy morning test ride - this is going to be the keeper build, for a while at least!

Here's a more serious issue for the look of the bike. I put on some ill-fitting black hoods, which will be fine. Trying to bring these back to life, though, I hit on the idea of Pedro's Bike Lust to see if some silicone reduced the gumminess. Feels like it might be working?
Sweet looking ride! Every time I see the yellow/white combo I think that might be the best of the paint jobs.
Old 06-18-21, 07:38 PM
seypat

Hotter N Hell update for the Texas Ironmen who ride their Centurion Dave Scott Ironman bicycles. I'm registered and have my plane tickets. Waiting to see if rental cars go down any before I get one. Working on the best way to get a bike there and back. Getting a little excited!
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-21-21, 08:03 AM
texaspandj

How's your summer going?
As last mentioned, I was getting ready to race in a Austin triathlon. I was on my '86 Ironman and cut the bike portion short. I was DQ'd. Surprisingly, I felt good on the 750 meter swim but suffered severely on the 3.1 mile run. I mean I was hurting. Oh well.
A couple of weeks later I do a Xterra sprint triathlon in my Town. Actually 2 blocks from where I reside. My wife and daughter were happy they didn't have to get up at 430 in the AM. Due to the over flooded Brazos river brought on by the areas constant rain for a couple of weeks, the swim portion was cancelled and replaced with my new weakest event, RUNNING. A short 2 mile run and then bike one 9 mile mtb loop followed by a 3.1 mile loop trail run. Surprisingly on my 2nd run I felt OK especially compared to the mtb portion, where I was constantly gasping for Air...I mean that bike ride was one of the toughest encountered, EVER! I was surprised by 6-8 riders who had started before me who were on their 2nd lap pass me like I was going backwards. They were Flying! My vintage '89 MTB may be getting shocks before I try that again.
Next is my hometown triathlon where I had planned to do an olympic distance...which means a mile swim. However the local pool I swim at has been under repair for 2 weeks and isn't expected to be operational for another week or two. So I'll do the sprint instead and maybe just maybe focus on trying to get in shape to do the HnH.
I'd love to see all the group from BF including RT but currently I'm not in great condition especially according to the weight scale. We'll see.
Here's a pic of me coming in to transition after a 9 mile bike portion that took my over an Hour.

​​​​​​My wife showed up just in time to snap these pics. She was surprised to see me go so slow in the transition area. And even asked me are you ok? I said That Bike Route Was Ridiculous.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 06-21-21, 08:26 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
^^^^^^ Looks like an Apex/Ascent with the white/gray rock-crusher paint job. So was anyone else rocking a C&V all-rigid bike? I'm seeing all modern "pooping dog" 29ers in the background.
Old 06-21-21, 08:30 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
How's your summer going?
As last mentioned, I was getting ready to race in a Austin triathlon. I was on my '86 Ironman and cut the bike portion short. I was DQ'd. Surprisingly, I felt good on the 750 meter swim but suffered severely on the 3.1 mile run. I mean I was hurting. Oh well.
A couple of weeks later I do a Xterra sprint triathlon in my Town. Actually 2 blocks from where I reside. My wife and daughter were happy they didn't have to get up at 430 in the AM. Due to the over flooded Brazos river brought on by the areas constant rain for a couple of weeks, the swim portion was cancelled and replaced with my new weakest event, RUNNING. A short 2 mile run and then bike one 9 mile mtb loop followed by a 3.1 mile loop trail run. Surprisingly on my 2nd run I felt OK especially compared to the mtb portion, where I was constantly gasping for Air...I mean that bike ride was one of the toughest encountered, EVER! I was surprised by 6-8 riders who had started before me who were on their 2nd lap pass me like I was going backwards. They were Flying! My vintage '89 MTB may be getting shocks before I try that again.
Next is my hometown triathlon where I had planned to do an olympic distance...which means a mile swim. However the local pool I swim at has been under repair for 2 weeks and isn't expected to be operational for another week or two. So I'll do the sprint instead and maybe just maybe focus on trying to get in shape to do the HnH.
I'd love to see all the group from BF including RT but currently I'm not in great condition especially according to the weight scale. We'll see.
Here's a pic of me coming in to transition after a 9 mile bike portion that took my over an Hour.

​​​​​​My wife showed up just in time to snap these pics. She was surprised to see me go so slow in the transition area. And even asked me are you ok? I said That Bike Route Was Ridiculous.
The journey back is always tough. For me it seems to be never ending. Hang in there. As long as you're enjoying yourself, it's all good. I've about reached the point where I'm happy just to be participating and crossing the line. That's still better than sitting on the sidelines watching. I do see a grin on your face.

In bike related news, I might have a line on the top steed from 85. Yes, I'm talking about one of those! We'll see what happens. Got to find a way to go look at it. It's not close. I wasn't looking for one, but it appeared. Maybe it's fate.
Old 06-21-21, 08:51 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^^^ Looks like an Apex/Ascent with the white/gray rock-crusher paint job. So was anyone else rocking a C&V all-rigid bike? I'm seeing all modern "pooping dog" 29ers in the background.
'89 Apex .
I think only one other person was riding a vintage.
I should have used my mtb shoes but figured I could save time by not changing to running shoes in the transition however I ended up taking my shoes off to get rocks out anyway.
I attempted to use my buddy's trail Wheels but the knobby tires were too wide and wouldn't fit.
The new trail bikes differences (as contrasting to my vintage is; wide bars, front and rear suspension, disc brakes, HUGE CASSETTE, 29 inch wheels, and Carbon Fiber.

Still, I managed to get a 2nd place AG medal with this bad boy... even with those heavy road tires.

​​​​​

Last edited by texaspandj; 06-21-21 at 09:12 AM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 06-21-21, 08:56 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by seypat
The journey back is always tough. For me it seems to be never ending. Hang in there. As long as you're enjoying yourself, it's all good. I've about reached the point where I'm happy just to be participating and crossing the line. That's still better than sitting on the sidelines watching. I do see a grin on your face.

In bike related news, I might have a line on the top steed from 85. Yes, I'm talking about one of those! We'll see what happens. Got to find a way to go look at it. It's not close. I wasn't looking for one, but it appeared. Maybe it's fate.
Maybe it is fate. What's the size?
Check this out IronKids.
It's small but I could manage. It's not Ironman but Centurion (ciocc).

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/bi...329882908.html
Old 06-21-21, 09:24 AM
seypat

Maybe it is fate. What's the size?
Check this out IronKids.
It's small but I could manage. It's not Ironman but Centurion (ciocc).

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/bi...329882908.html
It's a 54cm. About 2.5-3 hours away. I have to go that direction once a week for business. Doing that tomorrow or Wednesday which would put me 1-1.5 hour away. Contacting the seller now to set something up. Tried to contact the seller Friday night but the posting had expired. Back up today.
Old 06-21-21, 09:36 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
Agreed.
The PR days are over for most, if not all, of us.
I'm very thankful for 5-year age groups.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 06-21-21, 09:41 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
How's your summer going?
As last mentioned, I was getting ready to race in a Austin triathlon...
After I resumed jogging last November I've tried a few times to do both a 3-7 mile run and longer bike ride in the same day -- not back to back, so far, but after a few hours rest.

It's a lot harder than I'd expected. There's no way I'd be ready to tackle even a short triathlon anytime soon, if ever.

I've had lots of bouts with intermittent recurring illness since February (no idea what it is, probably my old nemesis the Hashimoto's autoimmune disorder, but the symptoms were similar to COVID despite being very careful and getting fully vaccinated by May). So I've been able to try running and cycling in the same day maybe once or twice a month this year.

As you know from being in Texas, June 2021 has been unusually hot and humid, even by Texas standards. It's been a lot tougher than usual to get heat adapted because we went very suddenly from a pleasantly cool May to a blistering hot June. But I've been running or riding started in late afternoon when it's as hot as possible, taking it very easy, just getting adapted to the heat. So far, so good, no problems with heat exhaustion (although some friends have been dropping like flies from overdoing it).

Sunday afternoon I jogged my usual 5 mile route with the heat index around 105F. Not fast, just a few segments of 1/2 to 1 mile at a 10 minute/mile pace, slowing to a walk when my heart rate exceeded 150 bpm.

Felt okay after resting a couple of hours and eating, so I went for a 25 mile bike ride Sunday night. Temperature was still over 90F, but cooled down a bit to the high 70s by the time I turned and headed home. Felt pretty good. Not my fastest time on that route, but about on par with my usual course times when I was only riding, not running on the same days.

But when I checked my HRV Elite heart rate variability app today it warned me to take at least one rest day, maybe more. I don't regard HRV as hard science, just one of several factors I consider when deciding on my workouts. Sometimes the HRV results and how I feel don't match. But today it did.

TBH, I doubt I'll ever do a full three-event triathlon, even a mini-tri. I used to enjoy swimming and had experience with open ocean swimming when I lived on the east coast Atlantic Ocean, and was stationed in SoCal at Camp Pendleton in the 1970s, swimming on the Pacific beaches up to a mile from shore. But I haven't done any swimming in more than a decade, and even those were on a quiet lake.

Mostly I just can't get used to the idea of flippering around among dozens of other people in a Texas mud puddle lake, like a bunch of penguins squabbling over fish. Yeeeesh...

But if there are any mini-ride/run events, yeah, I might try one of those. Especially if they include an Eddy class type cycling event, old school bikes, no aero bars. I'm still not consistently faster on my carbon fiber bikes than I am on the Ironman, so I'd probably ride that bike if I don't need aero bars, mostly because it still fits me best.
Old 06-22-21, 06:02 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by canklecat
After I resumed jogging last November I've tried a few times to do both a 3-7 mile run and longer bike ride in the same day -- not back to back, so far, but after a few hours rest.

It's a lot harder than I'd expected. There's no way I'd be ready to tackle even a short triathlon anytime soon, if ever.

I've had lots of bouts with intermittent recurring illness since February (no idea what it is, probably my old nemesis the Hashimoto's autoimmune disorder, but the symptoms were similar to COVID despite being very careful and getting fully vaccinated by May). So I've been able to try running and cycling in the same day maybe once or twice a month this year.

As you know from being in Texas, June 2021 has been unusually hot and humid, even by Texas standards. It's been a lot tougher than usual to get heat adapted because we went very suddenly from a pleasantly cool May to a blistering hot June. But I've been running or riding started in late afternoon when it's as hot as possible, taking it very easy, just getting adapted to the heat. So far, so good, no problems with heat exhaustion (although some friends have been dropping like flies from overdoing it).

Sunday afternoon I jogged my usual 5 mile route with the heat index around 105F. Not fast, just a few segments of 1/2 to 1 mile at a 10 minute/mile pace, slowing to a walk when my heart rate exceeded 150 bpm.

Felt okay after resting a couple of hours and eating, so I went for a 25 mile bike ride Sunday night. Temperature was still over 90F, but cooled down a bit to the high 70s by the time I turned and headed home. Felt pretty good. Not my fastest time on that route, but about on par with my usual course times when I was only riding, not running on the same days.

But when I checked my HRV Elite heart rate variability app today it warned me to take at least one rest day, maybe more. I don't regard HRV as hard science, just one of several factors I consider when deciding on my workouts. Sometimes the HRV results and how I feel don't match. But today it did.

TBH, I doubt I'll ever do a full three-event triathlon, even a mini-tri. I used to enjoy swimming and had experience with open ocean swimming when I lived on the east coast Atlantic Ocean, and was stationed in SoCal at Camp Pendleton in the 1970s, swimming on the Pacific beaches up to a mile from shore. But I haven't done any swimming in more than a decade, and even those were on a quiet lake.

Mostly I just can't get used to the idea of flippering around among dozens of other people in a Texas mud puddle lake, like a bunch of penguins squabbling over fish. Yeeeesh...

But if there are any mini-ride/run events, yeah, I might try one of those. Especially if they include an Eddy class type cycling event, old school bikes, no aero bars. I'm still not consistently faster on my carbon fiber bikes than I am on the Ironman, so I'd probably ride that bike if I don't need aero bars, mostly because it still fits me best.
Dude, that's a lot of running and awesome.
You know, there are Duathlons. Run bike Run. And more importantly they come in different distances. Plus, in your area there's generally a lot of them.
Way to keep challenging yourself and pushing. And training for multisports is very rewarding and keeps things interesting.
At our age we need goals and nothing motivates you like signing up for a "race".
Do it , Do it or I should say Du it , Du it.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 06-22-21, 06:29 AM
seypat

Dude, that's a lot of running and awesome.
You know, there are Duathlons. Run bike Run. And more importantly they come in different distances. Plus, in your area there's generally a lot of them.
Way to keep challenging yourself and pushing. And training for multisports is very rewarding and keeps things interesting.
At our age we need goals and nothing motivates you like signing up for a "race".
Do it , Do it or I should say Du it , Du it.
The Du-As eliminate the big strong swimmer/cyclists. You're competing against the strong runners/cyclists. Those types are fast! The first one I did, I walked to the starting line and looked around. All that was there was a bunch of men in the 5'8" 120ish - 6'3" 150ish range plus the females. The first run was 2 laps on a square 1 mile loop. The gun went off and I got left in the dust. There were 4 groups including the females in the race as well. 2 leaders running high 5 minute pace, a group running mid 6 minute pace another group a minute behind them and me by myself about a minute behind that group. If it had been 3 laps, I would have gotten lapped by the 2 leaders! When I got to the first transition, the rest of them were gone. I did manage to pass half of them on the bike leg.
Old 06-22-21, 08:04 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Sweet looking ride! Every time I see the yellow/white combo I think that might be the best of the paint jobs.
great looking bike!
Old 06-22-21, 10:48 AM
texaspandj

Here's my favorite bike to do anything but especially time trial/ triathlon.

'86 Centurion Ironman. Dura Ace everything except Brakeset, Gripshift, and aero seatpost.
Old 06-23-21, 10:04 AM
seypat

So I acquired a new bike yesterday. I will sell some to justify getting it. (no Centurions will be sold) Should I start another thread, or keep it in here? Seems like
texaspandj has a Comp TA. We can do a thorough analysis of the various models. @fleslider, if you want any pictures for the site, let me know. I thought it was all original, but I noticed the aero levers. Those are Dia Compe Aero Gran Compe swapped in before Dura Ace had aero levers.

Last edited by seypat; 06-23-21 at 10:10 AM.
Likes For seypat:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.